Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Black Creek Station makes sense. Steeles West-Black Creek would work, as I suggested. But using Black Creek Pioneer Village Station as a station name? It doesn't make sense. It's too long and not enough of a landmark to associate the station with.

Black Creek Station makes sense. Steeles West-Black Creek would work, as I suggested. But using Black Creek Pioneer Village Station as a station name? It doesn't make sense. It's too long and not enough of a landmark to associate the station with.

Where on Earth did this come from? It wasn't even recommended in the poll the TTC did. Nor was Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

So now we have TWO names the public voted against? Ridiculous.

"Black Creek Pioneer Village" is almost as bad as my [least] favourite subway station name: Dome/Georgia World Concgress Centre/Philips Arena/CNN Center station in Atlanta.

Also: how idiotic will it look to have a "Black Creek/Weston" station and a "Black Creek Pioneer Village station"? An outsider who is not interested in visiting a pioneer village could easily mistake the station for being on Black Creek Drive.

Why stop there with the craziness. Highway 407 Express Toll Route station, York University Schulich Building, and James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School station would fit just as nicely.

Haha, McGuigan's my alma mater. I'll bring that up with my buddies at the 30th anniversary party next month. To me, I'm still blown away that my old high school will have a subway station next to it. As a kid growing up there I couldn't have conceived of the idea in a million years.

i suggest renaming the vaughan corporate metropolitian blabla to concord, not even vaughan, just call it concord, concord is a small town in vaughan, so why use the entire city name, if theres gonna be other stops in vaughan, possibly in other towns too like wood bridge, kleinburg,thorn hill

VMC station is 2km west of the village of Concord.

Once the Hwy 407 Transitway is built, the busway station that will connect with the subway obviously can't be named "Highway 407", so we're going to have to end up with "Highway 407-Jane station" in a few years.

Since we're starting with a blank slate anyway, you may as well sue this as a place-making exercise. Create a new name to identify this location (and to identify any development that may follow). Much like "Southcore", names need to come from somewhere. I think they should call the location "Beechwood", but an alternative could be a prominent local politician or historical figure or something else. It might sound odd at first, but once there are two rapid transit stations and a community there all sharing the name it will seem natural. "Highway 407-Jane" will always sound awkward (and somewhere you wouldn't want to live). Imagine if they named Yorkdale station "Highway 401 station".

From the Sun:
Councillor Anthony Perruzza appeared before the committee and urged councillors to consider the name University Heights for Finch West station and Black Creek Pioneer Village for Steeles West.
Augimeri moved a motion to name the stations in the following order heading north: Downsview, Chesswood, University Heights, York University and Black Creek Pioneer Village.

Councillor Anthony Perruzza appeared before the committee and urged councillors to consider the name University Heights for Finch West station:

I just had to look and up and sure thing, Keele and Finch is at a LOWER elevation than the university campus. Makes "University Heights" an odd choice. Perhaps "University Depths" would be more appropiate?

Black Creek Pioneer Village is too long.

Why is the Museum station not the Royal Ontario Museum? Why isn't Osgoode not Osgoode Hall?

Steeles West could be named Pioneer Village. Nothing else. Is there another pioneer village in Toronto? No. Just call it Pioneer Village. Keep it short.

Steeles is a major street. It shouldn't have been lopped off the station name just like that. If you wanna do Steeles West--Black Creek Pioneer Village that'd be fine. Or just include the attraction in the station announcements, and then people would know that it's nearby. This is just ridiculous and unintuitive.

Black Creek Pioneer Village is too long.

Why is the Museum station not the Royal Ontario Museum? Why isn't Osgoode not Osgoode Hall?

Steeles West could be named Pioneer Village. Nothing else. Is there another pioneer village in Toronto? No. Just call it Pioneer Village. Keep it short.

+2

Or just include the attraction in the station announcements, and then people would know that it's nearby. This is just ridiculous and unintuitive.

Exactly. "The next station is Steeles West. Exit here for Black Creek Pioneer Village" would work just fine. They could even put "Black Creek Pioneer Village" in smaller lettering under the station name if it's felt to be that important, like at Bay ("Yorkville"). (This is the same thing I'd say about Dupont when people want to rename it as Casa Loma.)

Back