Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Note that the TTC means commuters to Rob Ford. He ignores the fact that, other than New York City, the TTC has more riders outside the rush hours than most other transit agencies in North America. It is not just commuters who use the TTC, but use it on a regular non-commuter basis.
He said commuters, residents, and businesses. How do you get to one only meant commuters, when he said more than that?

Just because there are busloads of students does not imply they are coming south on the subway and then getting on buses to get to York. I ride the subway north from Yorkdale and I do not see the subways going northbound full. Maybe there should be a study of where these students are coming from which I think is from the east and south. Besides with UFT and Ryerson and other colleges in Toronto, and for people living central Toronto, I don't see that the majority would shun those schools aside to go up to York U. The subway was not needed decades ago up to York or Vaughan for that matter. They were needed for Toronto - specifically Eglinton, DRL and other potential lines that the city should have had by now. In major cities that have a subways - its in the city not out to the suburbs that subways are built. And the only reason the provincial money was provided was for votes pure and simple. I would like to see how the Liberals feel if they do not get elected even after throwing money at that Spadina extension (I still have no idea why they call it that since Spadina ends at Eglinton and the stops are no where near Spadina). Plus that map showing the Spadina is so inaccurate of where the stops really are.
For that matter there should never have been a line built beside an expressway. Subways should be built on major streets as was done for Yonge and Bloor where people can actually get to them by waking instead of having to drive and park at a station or by getting off at a bus in a small station or at a stop as compared to a bus that goes into a huge station as in the suburbs such as Wilson, Downsview and even bigger the farther north you go with the new stations being built. That’s where all the money is going – building those crazy huge stations. Last week for the first time I actually went to Downsview station by subway and then had to take a bus. I felt like I was walking to Finch Ave by the time I got to the bus and could not believe the size of that station. And I thought Wilson was big.

Just because there are busloads of students does not imply they are coming south on the subway and then getting on buses to get to York. I ride the subway north from Yorkdale and I do not see the subways going northbound full. Maybe there should be a study of where these students are coming from which I think is from the east and south. Besides with UFT and Ryerson and other colleges in Toronto, and for people living central Toronto, I don't see that the majority would shun those schools aside to go up to York U. The subway was not needed decades ago up to York or Vaughan for that matter. They were needed for Toronto - specifically Eglinton, DRL and other potential lines that the city should have had by now. In major cities that have a subways - its in the city not out to the suburbs that subways are built. And the only reason the provincial money was provided was for votes pure and simple. I would like to see how the Liberals feel if they do not get elected even after throwing money at that Spadina extension (I still have no idea why they call it that since Spadina ends at Eglinton and the stops are no where near Spadina). Plus that map showing the Spadina is so inaccurate of where the stops really are.
For that matter there should never have been a line built beside an expressway. Subways should be built on major streets as was done for Yonge and Bloor where people can actually get to them by waking instead of having to drive and park at a station or by getting off at a bus in a small station or at a stop as compared to a bus that goes into a huge station as in the suburbs such as Wilson, Downsview and even bigger the farther north you go with the new stations being built. That’s where all the money is going – building those crazy huge stations. Last week for the first time I actually went to Downsview station by subway and then had to take a bus. I felt like I was walking to Finch Ave by the time I got to the bus and could not believe the size of that station. And I thought Wilson was big.

First, let me say "What is this? I don't even.."

Secondly:

Just because there are busloads of students does not imply they are coming south on the subway and then getting on buses to get to York. I ride the subway north from Yorkdale and I do not see the subways going northbound full.

Yes it does because they all get off at Yorkdale and take the numerous YRT and GO buses into York Region. It's not only students, but you DO know that people in York Region have jobs downtown and use transit at well. OMG -- SHOCKING! While it's a small sample size; I (used) to get off at Yorkdale to take the bus, my girlfriend does it, so does her sister and all her friends that go to U of T, some of my girlfriends co-workers... etc. If you claim to take the subway north of Yorkdale, I'm pretty sure you see the amount of people getting off at that station; most of those people would probably continue their journey up to AT LEAST York University or 407 where they can catch a GO bus that's much closer to their home without having to sit in traffic; on a bus on the 401.

Thirdly; I will say this for the one thousandth time; stop pandering Toronto's Transit woes on York Region. If you feel Toronto deserves priority transit expansion over everyone else, then do something about it. Don't post here and expect to get something done or come up with a "online petition" -- until the citizen of Toronto, downtown especially, do something of significance to voice their displeasure then YOU AIN'T GETTING JACK DOWNTOWN.

:cool:

Last edited:
Downsview isn't that big. Neither is Wilson. Secondly - once the hole has been dug to build the subway station, it's cheaper and more efficient to leave it than what you're proposing.

Just because there are busloads of students does not imply they are coming south on the subway and then getting on buses to get to York. I ride the subway north from Yorkdale and I do not see the subways going northbound full. Maybe there should be a study of where these students are coming from which I think is from the east and south.

As someone who takes the Spadina Line north every day (and has daily for the past three years), I can assure you that northbound trains are most definitely full. In fact, it is not uncommon to be forced to stand on a northbound train from St. George (although thankfully that doesn't happen very frequently in the summer).

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not big? I have not seen all the stations - but not big to me are the stations on the Yonge line going south from Lawrence I have never ventured north of Lawrence on the subway. The stations from Yorkdale going southbound are also small (though Eglinton West seems big if you compare it to the other stations going southbound). But nothing as big as Wilson and Downsview. By the time you get off those stops and have to get the buses you need to walk and walk. Those are suburban subway stations. To get off at Lawrence West, you walk up the stairs, turn around and walk 20 seconds and can wait for the buses. Thats how it should be. Even Jane on the Bloor line - the buses just pull up on the outside but protection from rain is provided for people waiting to board. There is no way those buildings with the big stations are cheaper. How is that possible? The whole area needs to be dugout from the subway platform to the bus area, the floor finishes wall etc. Of course it costs more.

I meant to say that I take the subway going southbound. It does not justify a subway to York region, That's what Go is for - commuting. And on the weekend when no one is coming down or close to no one the Go can run less frequent as compacted to subway that needs to run frequent on a consistent basis whether the people are there or not. The amount of people is nothing compared to other stations such as Bloor and Yonge and even just those getting on at Lawrence West to go southbound. Plus if these people are going to York why get off at Yorkdale instead of Downsview, which would be closer.

Second TBM is now being lowered at Sheppard West Launch shaft. One of the 3 parts is already below ground.

From the GO train, it seems like the first TBM has not moved ever since that ceremony a month ago. Whatever happened to the promise that it will start digging by the end of June?

Not big? I have not seen all the stations - but not big to me are the stations on the Yonge line going south from Lawrence I have never ventured north of Lawrence on the subway. The stations from Yorkdale going southbound are also small (though Eglinton West seems big if you compare it to the other stations going southbound). But nothing as big as Wilson and Downsview. By the time you get off those stops and have to get the buses you need to walk and walk. Those are suburban subway stations. To get off at Lawrence West, you walk up the stairs, turn around and walk 20 seconds and can wait for the buses. Thats how it should be. Even Jane on the Bloor line - the buses just pull up on the outside but protection from rain is provided for people waiting to board. There is no way those buildings with the big stations are cheaper. How is that possible? The whole area needs to be dugout from the subway platform to the bus area, the floor finishes wall etc. Of course it costs more.

You should try walking around the subway stations on the Sheppard Line, they are just as bad as Downsview and Wilson if not worse.

You should try walking around the subway stations on the Sheppard Line, they are just as bad as Downsview and Wilson if not worse.
??? They look hugely cheap. Concrete finish everywhere. Good grief, have you ever seen concrete floor walkways before?

What I don't understand about the older stations on the BD line, is why they went to the needless expense of all those false ceilings, that make the stations look so tiny.

??? They look hugely cheap. Concrete finish everywhere. Good grief, have you ever seen concrete floor walkways before?

What I don't understand about the older stations on the BD line, is why they went to the needless expense of all those false ceilings, that make the stations look so tiny.

The cost of all of those finishings is microscopic compared to the cost of actually building the vast structure.

The cost of all of those finishings is microscopic compared to the cost of actually building the vast structure.
Precisely, they were so cheap, they didn't even spend money on the cheap things.

Holes don't seem any bigger than the platforms ... should be cheaper given they left much of the space open, rather than infilling it with materials, and false ceilings like BD.

If the cost was "microscopic" than why would they have bothered cutting all of the finishes from the project as a cost-cutting exercise?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back