Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The biggest factor in station cost below the surface is platform width, platform length, station depth, and vehicle capacity. After those three things are factored in there is no significant savings to be found elsewhere. Lowering the ceiling means supporting more dirt, the finishes are cheap compared to the overall cost, the accessibility and evacuation requirements must be built in. You can save money by having less significant pieces attached to that station box like getting rid of bus terminal buildings.

Front page story on the construction progress on the line here.

Latest way to solve the station naming debate. There's a survey out: http://www3.ttc.ca/TTC_Surveys/Spadina_Subway_Extension_Station_Naming_Survey.jsp

We get to name them. Write-in names accepted.

Hmm .. Vaughan Town City Corporate Metropolitan Penile-Envy Centre Station it is ...

I voted to rename Downsview --> Sheppard West; Sheppard West --> Downsview Park
Finch West
York University
Steeles West
Highway 407
Vaughan Centre

(i.e. I voted all the TTC's recommendations)

Sheppard West is great, but with City/Province accord to have the Sheppard subway extended there with the decade, wouldn't it have to be renamed again? Why not Sheppard-Dufferin. That's the closest intersection. Or Sheppard-Allen.

Sheppard West is great, but with City/Province accord to have the Sheppard subway extended there with the decade, wouldn't it have to be renamed again? Why not Sheppard-Dufferin. That's the closest intersection. Or Sheppard-Allen.

Maybe the TTC doesn't really believe it'll happen.

Is Eglinton West going to be renamed with the opening of the Eglinton LRT?

I voted to rename Downsview --> Sheppard West; Sheppard West --> Downsview Park
Finch West
York University
Steeles West
Highway 407
Vaughan Centre

(i.e. I voted all the TTC's recommendations)

It's nice to have a say in the station names through online voting. I voted similarly, though I suggested Steeles-Black Creek instead of Steeles West. It would be useful to reference Black Creek, an urban river and local landmark. It would provide a clue to people going to Black Creek Pioneer Village and for possible York University events such as the "Black Creek Music Festival" at nearby Rexall Centre. At the same time, Steeles is an important street and should be in the name as well. Also, I really hope we don't see "Highway 407 Station". "Highway" just doesn't fit in with images of subways. Jane North avoids a name with "highway" in it, which would sound pointless and strange.

Maybe the TTC doesn't really believe it'll happen.

Finch was supposed for be a P3 project but the province was unable to find a financing partner in time.

There is no way Ford can perform an EA on Sheppard then prepare a business plan and find a financing partner before the end of his term. It should be noted that he cannot find a financing partner to for the EA for Sheppard which is a fraction of the total cost.

Also, I really hope we don't see "Highway 407 Station". "Highway" just doesn't fit in with images of subways. Jane North avoids a name with "highway" in it, which would sound pointless and strange.

I agree with this statement. Though I chose my own station name of "407 Transitway" -- seeing as that's what this station is to become in the future with the supposed BRT coming as well. However, I wouldn't opposed "Jane North" either.

However, what do you call a future Jane Station on the Eglinton-Crosstown line?

I agree with this statement. Though I chose my own station name of "407 Transitway" -- seeing as that's what this station is to become in the future with the supposed BRT coming as well. However, I wouldn't opposed "Jane North" either.

Jane North is a friend of mine and she doesn't want a parking lot in the burbs named after her!

Jane Central? :p

I think Toronto needs to stop this phobia of naming two stations with the same name, especially if they're on parallel lines. So there will be 3 stations with the name "Warden", big deal.

Either that, or place a greater emphasis on naming stations after local landmarks.

Back