Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

This will be a spectacular park, but it's a shame that it will have to sit isolated for several years before there are any residents nearby.

This will be a spectacular park, but it's a shame that it will have to sit isolated for several years before there are any residents nearby.

They don't feel very isolated with the Bixi terminal and loads of visitors on the weekend, especially now that the restaurant+patio are open.

Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common south have other things happening around them, and i agree they're already successful. But SC north, which i was referring to specifically, won't have anything around it for quite a while. I can't see it being a huge attraction when it is off on its own.

Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common south have other things happening around them, and i agree they're already successful. But SC north, which i was referring to specifically, won't have anything around it for quite a while. I can't see it being a huge attraction when it is off on its own.

As Grey notes, the south part seems pretty busy now (more so on weekends) and it is right beside the new George Brown campus that will open in September 2012. The north part is just across Queen's Quay and quite close to the fairly densly populated St Lawrence - The Esplanade area - from which I suspect many families will come with kids to use the play equipment (which is mostly what is in the north section.) - hardly isolated.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but having to cross a busy Queen's Quay without a good pedestrian crossing, or to come south under the train tracks and the Gardiner, doesn't seem very inviting to me. The location still has a feel of an industrial area to me, and I don't see that really going away until the adjacent development happens.

I think the park design is fantastic, and that it will be a great addition to the area, but I don't think we'll see its full potential for some time, much later than the southern piece and Sugar Beach.

Agree very much that they need a nice pedestrian crossing from the North to South sides of Sherbourne Common -- it can be incredibly challenging to cross during high traffic periods.

Yep you all make good points. Once development of East Bayfront and the lot to east of the park take place they'll likely slow down traffic themselves.

I think we need a grade-separated option to connect the parks. Bu I'm sure Ford's administration will insist on it being underground to avoid being seen and avoid getting in the way of cars.

A grade separated crossing is along the lines of removing people from streets for the benefit of cars. Let them wait at a signalled crossing. I don't see the rail corridor as that much of a barrier either. However, why go down the street when you can get the same thing outside the front door.

A grade separated crossing is along the lines of removing people from streets for the benefit of cars. Let them wait at a signalled crossing.

Who do you thing are driving the cars? It's all about people and this car vs people stance is silly.

I think we need a grade-separated option to connect the parks. Bu I'm sure Ford's administration will insist on it being underground to avoid being seen and avoid getting in the way of cars.

The QQE studies recommend several traffic lights being installed, including one at QQE and Lower Sherbourne. Now all the City needs to do is install it before all the other work on QQ is finished!

Just to be clear I was totally sarcastic about the grade-separated pedestrian crossing.

Want to get a contract?

Notice of Request for Proposal (RFP) #2011-40: Operation and Maintenance of Sherbourne Common Pumping Station and UV Disinfection Facility

Waterfront Toronto (legally named Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) is seeking proposal submissions from firms for the Operation and Maintenance of Sherbourne Common Pumping Station and UV Disinfection Facility.

Interested Firms who have the requisite experience, qualifications and resources are invited to submit their proposals for this RFP.

Please note that the deadline for submission of this quote Proposals is Thursday, June 30th, 2011 by 2:00 local time.

Waterfront Toronto
20 Bay Street, Suite 1310
Toronto, ON, M5J 2N8
Attn: Kevin Newson, Director of Procurement

Back