Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Venti -
I think that the AGO will be quite lit up once it is done. With the Galleria Italia being completely glass on the street side, I dont see why this building wont glow. If they keep the lights on in the gallery, the entire front of the building will remain lit. The titanium box on top though, is another question.

That's what they said while building ROM, and if that's what they called "lit up", well, that's sad.

Thanks. I thought that's Flatiron building? Well, that's what I know. As for old Knox, they should clean it first...not the building, the surrounding.
Many refer to the Gooderham Building as the "Flatiron" building, but that's more a colloquialism. It was the original head office of the Gooderham (& Worts) distillery empire.

U of T has some "place making" plans for the old Knox College site (including pedestrian crossings and removing the rear parking lot). However, I can't remember if cleaning and/or lighting the building were part of it.

I was just checking out the sneak peak section on the ROM site. The new display cases are looking good.
ROM2008_9684_2.jpg

Shreyas and Mina Ajmera Gallery of Africa, Americas and Asia-Pacific

Garbage contemporary architecture

Watch the video by architect Massimo Majowiecki on our contemporary garbage architecture.
Lots of people are getting fed up of being fooled by these so called architects.
I hope your Italian is good enough to appreciate the comments, however the pictures will suffice. Cry or laugh as you wish.
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqk4ZcHvJf8

Watch the video by architect Massimo Majowiecki on our contemporary garbage architecture.
Lots of people are getting fed up of being fooled by these so called architects.
I hope your Italian is good enough to appreciate the comments, however the pictures will suffice. Cry or laugh as you wish.

My gawd that guy's annoying. I couldn't watch more than 60 seconds without wanting to attack my computer screen :eek:

I was waiting for him to show a picture of OCAD and yell about how outrageous it is.

In a world full of boxes (and a city that has more than its share of boxes), bring on the outrageous.

What is it about these buildings that you dislike so much?

What is it about these buildings that you dislike so much?
Ten to twelve times the normal weight of steel to support these schizophrenic buildings just for the fun of defying the law of gravity? Is this the responsible way to build? To conserve energy and resources that are getting scarce by the day? Is this the responsible way to spend our client's money?

Building the Crystal was a responsible solution to problems created by the 1984 Terrace Galleries that it replaced. It returned the museum to the original, responsible expansion plan that was envisioned when the institution opened in 1914.

Most of the money to achieve this came from private donors.

^The crystal was also the most practical proposal, providing the biggest increase in gallery space.

Back