Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Yeah this is the dilemma. Skydome is in the perfect spot.
They wont ever find a better location, as some of our pathetic planning practices in Toronto/Ontario doesnt account for withholding and saving land for future replacement stadiums or arenas. So even alternate sites (not saying they're better) such as Downsview and the Portlands wont even be available for that kind of use in a few years.

They wont ever find a better location, as some of our pathetic planning practices in Toronto/Ontario doesnt account for withholding and saving land for future replacement stadiums or arenas. So even alternate sites (not saying they're better) such as Downsview and the Portlands wont even be available for that kind of use in a few years.

Yeah I wish there was a way for a new stadium. Shapiro says these Reno’s don’t mean there isn’t a new stadium coming, but I don’t believe it. Not in my lifetime anyway

With the growth and exponential advancement of virtual reality, A.I. content, as well as Egames, I wonder how much longer traditional live sports can rely on gate admissions to keep them viable? Esp. baseball which seems to be one of the least enticing spectacles for our dopamine addicted youngest generations. The world is going to be VERY different in 30+ years, esp entertainment.

Definitely not as impressive or impactful as the first phase. I realize the were limited to what they could do but in the end, it's still lipstick on a pig.

Definitely not as impressive or impactful as the first phase. I realize the were limited to what they could do but in the end, it's still lipstick on a pig.

This is your conclusion based on the quick-cut video which does not remotely show the final form of the renovation, which is still clearly weeks or months away. ...? Clearly seeing it in person is a lot to ask but should we wait until we've see an image of it all done first?

Why is everyone so worried abut the impact on the results of the renovation? Who cares spite the results. You have to remember what they are renovating.

That 100 level since day one has been a disaster. I was 2nd row on the left field and I had a terrible time. Looking at the left field rather than the diamond. Turning my body to watch the game. The feeling of being in a claustrophobic environment. So imo this renovation is going to make a big impact watching the game at the RC. You will see the difference, spite the results. But I'm sure being at the game, will be a huge difference.

Toronto is finally gettimg a domed baseball stadium and the discussion is about replacing it?

Is there a 100 level in any other stadium that's particularly impressive? I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Is there a 100 level in any other stadium that's particularly impressive? I'm not sure what you were expecting.

No there isn't. What I'm saying is the stadium in general is still a heaping pile of dog crap, so throwing some new seats on the 100 level doesn't change that.

This is your conclusion based on the quick-cut video which does not remotely show the final form of the renovation, which is still clearly weeks or months away. ...? Clearly seeing it in person is a lot to ask but should we wait until we've see an image of it all done first?

Really not that hard to get an idea of the final outcome.

No there isn't. What I'm saying is the stadium in general is still a heaping pile of dog crap, so throwing some new seats on the 100 level doesn't change that.
Maybe (although I don't mind it), but the several billion dollars plus the time required to demolish and rebuild the stadium (and the temporary relocation of the Jays somewhere) was likely never going to happen. I don't think Rogers, a widely disliked company, would get any public funding after buying SkyDome for (iirc) $25MM from the province the previous owner (the province paid off all $400 MM debt at one point, per the Wikipedia article).
I believe Rogers looked at their property and decided spending many millions on improving it was money better spent.

Last edited:
Maybe (although I don't mind it), but the several billion dollars plus the time required to demolish and rebuild the stadium (and the temporary relocation of the Jays somewhere) was likely never going to happen. I don't think Rogers, a widely disliked company, would get any public funding after buying SkyDome for (iirc) $25MM from the province the previous owner (the province paid off all $400 MM debt at one point, per the Wikipedia article).
I believe Rogers looked at their property and decided spending many millions on improving it was money better spent.

I'm aware of this, but it doesn't change how myself and many others view the stadium. For the record, I actually think they've made the thing at least tolerable now, which is saying a lot since I used almost cringe watching baseball in that place.

Reactions: PL1

Back