Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I still call it the SkyDome. Rogers can eat it. I often refer to the Scotia Arena as the ACC too, partly because I forget what it's called now and again. My brain doesn't care to learn new corporate naming rights.
i do too but my point stands. if Rogers officially called it Rogers Skydome, everyone would drop the rogers and just call it Skydome. at least with Rogers Centre you have everyone internationally calling it that. There will always be a portion of the population that calls it the Skydome though (myself included).

I just want to say that the atmosphere of Minnesota was so electric because of the open air stadium that the Jays did not have a chance. If Rogers Centre apologists want to deny that the stadium makes a difference and that this is why good players would rather play on the twins than the third biggest city in North America, I don’t know what to say. Surely the stadium and its atmosphere is why the jays had errors, made questionable pitching rotations, and left players stranded on base. Good luck with the second renovation and its attempt to make a soulless bunker a place to play a sacred sport.

I just want to say that the atmosphere of Minnesota was so electric because of the open air stadium that the Jays did not have a chance. If Rogers Centre apologists want to deny that the stadium makes a difference and that this is why good players would rather play on the twins than the third biggest city in North America, I don’t know what to say. Surely the stadium and its atmosphere is why the jays had errors, made questionable pitching rotations, and left players stranded on base. Good luck with the second renovation and it’s attempt to make a soulless bunker a place to play a sacred sport.

I agree with some of your statement. The stadium still sucks and will continue to be a point of conversation. These renos are simply lipstick on a pig.

To say people would rather play in Minnesota then Toronto isn't true at all, and the Twins didn't beat the Jays because they have a better stadium. They beat them because they have a better team.

Last edited:
I just want to say that the atmosphere of Minnesota was so electric because of the open air stadium that the Jays did not have a chance. If Rogers Centre apologists want to deny that the stadium makes a difference and that this is why good players would rather play on the twins than the third biggest city in North America, I don’t know what to say. Surely the stadium and its atmosphere is why the jays had errors, made questionable pitching rotations, and left players stranded on base. Good luck with the second renovation and it’s attempt to make a soulless bunker a place to play a sacred sport.
By this logic I guess any team could have swept Tampa at home. Damn, Jays@Rays would’ve been a fun series to watch. At least we have a retractable roof and we’re in the heart of the city.

I agree with some of your statement. The stadium still sucks and will continue you to be a point of conversation. These renos are simply lipstick on a pig.

To say people would rather play in Minnesota then Toronto isn't true at all, and the Twins didn't beat the Jays because they have a better stadium. They beat them because they have a better team.

Pretty sure sixrings was being sarcastic, although he really went over the top with this one.

Just wanted to point out that since we’ve committed to global warming, weather is no lo longer an issue and ripping down a perfectly serviceable stadium in a great location shouldn’t cause anyone to lose any sleep.

I just want to say that the atmosphere of Minnesota was so electric because of the open air stadium that the Jays did not have a chance. If Rogers Centre apologists want to deny that the stadium makes a difference and that this is why good players would rather play on the twins than the third biggest city in North America, I don’t know what to say.

I confess, I couldn't tell at first if this was one of the serious dumb posts or heavy irony. Happy it was the latter.

But hey, at least they can start the renovations early. Maybe Shapiro and Atkins will get to see it before they're fired for their idiotic decision yesterday!

Just to add, in stadium news, the 99-win Tampa Bay Rays drew the 2 smallest playoff crowds since the 1919 world series. They barely broke 20k in game 2.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-bay-rays-fans-lowest-attendance/71051141007/

Say what you will about this Jays season but I think it's a safe bet that had they actually played a playoff game here, every one would have been sold out,even if they were afternoon games.

(Target Field was jumping but there were definitely some empty upper deck seats.)

Say what you will about this Jays season but I think it's a safe bet that had they actually played a playoff game here, every one would have been sold out,even if they were afternoon games.
The wildcard games last season had the dome at 96% capacity and both were 4pm games, Thursday and Friday. Huge turnouts pregame too, I saw crowds pouring in early from my old office.

Just to add, in stadium news, the 99-win Tampa Bay Rays drew the 2 smallest playoff crowds since the 1919 world series. They barely broke 20k in game 2.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-bay-rays-fans-lowest-attendance/71051141007/

(Target Field was jumping but there were definitely some empty upper deck seats.)

This is what makes their recent plans to build a new stadium in St. Petersburg so misguided. From what I hear, just getting out to the stadium is a pain, and this would be especially true if the game starts on a weekday afternoon.

This is what makes their recent plans to build a new stadium in St. Petersburg so misguided. From what I hear, just getting out to the stadium is a pain, and this would be especially true if the game starts on a weekday afternoon.

If anyone subscribes to The Athletic, there's a good article about this. People in St Pete are fine with it but most people are in Tampa and so the location will continue to be a negative (though if there aren't any fly balls hitting catwalks, that will still be an improvement). GTA geography doesn't really provide a good comparison but I guess it would be longer putting a new stadium out in east, say in Pickering, even though there's more population and access on the west side, like in Oakville.

Either way, they're not going to Montreal any time soon.

I think last season, it was within a week or two that they started the renovations. Curios to see if they jump right into it given this terrible end to the season?

Also curious to see if people actually show up once they've raised the ticket prices...

Back