Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

The Ford's public bashing of Waterfront Toronto certainly has to shake the confidence of private developers looking at building projects in this space. The promised public parks and infrastructure add tremendous value to the units they're selling -- if that stuff doesn't happen, money will be lost.

Very true. But then it's worth recalling the investment made along the Transit City lines by people counting on the appearance of an LRT. Any increase in property value and potential was wiped out by the subsequent cancellations. The Fordi don't seem to have a particularly well-honed sense of the details.

`
wdla301.jpg

Shocker, you been hacked by Drum?

Wasn't that a nice hacked?? Hunnn!!! what hack??? Hey!! that my Photo

June 1
5786129303_8f44ae6633_b.jpg

Boy this sucker is sure growing fast, that it will be done by year end.
5786119279_7874b4307f_b.jpg

5786671382_9fa7e0b4e5_b.jpg

Hey drum, the River City site is technically in the pictures above, albeit in the background. What you've shot there is the pit for a new TCHC complex which has stalled as of late due to a change in architect from Baird Sampson Neuert (I believe) to Core. Three buildings in total, one eight story fronting on King with two, smaller, four-story buildings tucked in behind. Rendering below:

Info: Here and Here

The River City website says 'Phase One construction starts this June' and the big ol' pile o' dirt has been getting a massage the last week or so... so, it does look like this thing is starting to happen, which is awesome!

Even with Team Ford trying to hit the ejector button from WT, WDL they pretty much can't stop. River City is private, the TCHC construction has begun, and the Pan Ams will need their athletes' village, so West Don Lands is going to have one of the most remarkable changes in the next five years of any part of Toronto, ever. I'm very excited about this project -- I'm really looking forward to seeing all the pieces come together!

Yes, WDL is about to see a great deal of activity. WT has started to pour the new sidewalks and concrete roadbed on Mill Street east of Cherry, and I understand thwy will then do the Street underground and both River City and the TCHC building are about to start or restart. Also. the proposals for the Athletes' Village are being worked on with announcements expected, I think, this fall. It IS exciting and we may even see the TTC laying the new streetcar line on Cherry Street next year (once all the services on Cherry are upgraded and WT finishes the drainage work going on at the bottom of Cherry.

May 2011 newsletter link

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/widgets_newsletter/read-newsletter/id/21

Not a lot on WDL but updates on Don River Park and the Cherry/Mill street underground services work.

Apparently QQ and Lower Jarvis are going to get the 'dig a big pit and have people complain about it' treatment as well, in order to put in sewers to East Bayfront.

Back