Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

Ther are now three permit applications in for River City:

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 142921 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Mar 22, 2011

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res New Building

Description: Proposal to construct 2 condo buildings (1-7 sty & 1- 16 sty) with link, commercial on ground floor, 349 residential units, and no below grade parking. West Don lands PHASE 1 (Block 4 West & Block 3).

and

Application: Plumbing(PS) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Application#: 11 142921 PLB 00 PS Accepted Date: Mar 23, 2011

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Building Permit Related(PS)

Description: Plumbing - Proposal to construct 2 condo buildings (1-7 sty & 1- 16 sty) with link, commercial on ground floor, 349 residential units, and no below grade parking. West Don lands PHASE 1 (Block 4 West & Block 3).

and

Application: Mechanical(MS) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Application#: 11 142921 HVA 00 MS Accepted Date: Mar 23, 2011

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Building Permit Related(MS)

Description: HVAC - Proposal to construct 2 condo buildings (1-7 sty & 1- 16 sty) with link, commercial on ground floor, 349 residential units, and no below grade parking. West Don lands PHASE 1 (Block 4 West & Block 3).

where the DVP meets the Gardiner.....phase 2?

eVolo08-sm1-0.gif

/just kidding....

The new applications do not include any parking for these buildings. People drive less, but no parking seems off. Are they planning surface parking only? Boo if yes.

Some of us live in this 'cheesy area'.... and absolutely love it and the changes in store for it (in fact, many in the community have been actively involved in ensuring our voices and concerns are heard and taken into consideration in the planning processes). we have argued for park space, walking spaces, higher quality architecture, and attention to detail. could you elaborate more on your concerns?

The new applications do not include any parking for these buildings. People drive less, but no parking seems off. Are they planning surface parking only? Boo if yes.

They say no BELOW GRADE parking because the building will be on top of the new berm and I assume they cannot dig down into it. As the lower floors will actually be below the level of the King/Queen Don River bridge it would seem to make sense to put parking there.

This has to be done in just 4 years and time is running out. It seems to be moving so slowly. The area around the Underpass Park looks interesting. [video=youtube;wDbyPaIyTLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbyPaIyTLk[/video]

Some of us live in this 'cheesy area'.... and absolutely love it and the changes in store for it (in fact, many in the community have been actively involved in ensuring our voices and concerns are heard and taken into consideration in the planning processes). we have argued for park space, walking spaces, higher quality architecture, and attention to detail. could you elaborate more on your concerns?

I say chessy because.....
Deindustrialization of the 1970s saw most of the land abandoned. In 1987 the area was expropriated by the provincial government at the urging of Toronto mayor Art Eggleton. The city proposed creating a new community of 14,000 called Ataratiri to solve Toronto's pressing subsidized housing crisis. The Ataratiri project was to have consisted of a mix of subsidized and market priced housing, similar to the development of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood further west. The name for the project was taken from the Huron word for "supported by clay" in reference to the clay soil of the area. After investing a considerable amount of money purchasing and clearing the site, the project eventually failed to attract private investors. The industrial history meant the soil was highly polluted and needed expensive cleanup before any residents could live there. The risk of flooding from the Don River also required a flood barrier to be erected. By 1992 the city and province had already invested some $350 million, and new estimates put the final cost at more than a billion more. The real estate market had also collapsed, making any private investment unlikely. The new provincial government of Bob Rae thus decided to cancel the project in 1992. Since then the land has sat deserted.

Anyways.. I hope youre right..but i dont see anything more than average quality architecture in between an abundance of mediocre parkland for this area.

I say chessy because.....
Deindustrialization of the 1970s saw most of the land abandoned. In 1987 the area was expropriated by the provincial government at the urging of Toronto mayor Art Eggleton. The city proposed creating a new community of 14,000 called Ataratiri to solve Toronto's pressing subsidized housing crisis. The Ataratiri project was to have consisted of a mix of subsidized and market priced housing, similar to the development of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood further west. The name for the project was taken from the Huron word for "supported by clay" in reference to the clay soil of the area. After investing a considerable amount of money purchasing and clearing the site, the project eventually failed to attract private investors. The industrial history meant the soil was highly polluted and needed expensive cleanup before any residents could live there. The risk of flooding from the Don River also required a flood barrier to be erected. By 1992 the city and province had already invested some $350 million, and new estimates put the final cost at more than a billion more. The real estate market had also collapsed, making any private investment unlikely. The new provincial government of Bob Rae thus decided to cancel the project in 1992. Since then the land has sat deserted.

Anyways.. I hope youre right..but i dont see anything more than average quality architecture in between an abundance of mediocre parkland for this area.

I don't see anything at all Manchego-like, Roquefort-ine, or Cheddar-ish in that paragraph above. Do you know what cheesy means? Or maybe you really do mean 'chessy', in which case you might opt to resign.

And nothing more than average quality architecture? Saucier + Perrotte's buildings here will be amongst the coolest new homes for cats in this city.

my father is doing the surveying for this whole area.. maybe, if i get lucky, i might be able to snap some pics of the drawings in a couple of weeks.

Or maybe you really do mean 'chessy', in which case you might opt to resign.

Oh gee, pardon my english..CHEESY to me and to many just might mean Lame. Hey if you sit around for 19 years and did nothing, that might be considered lame or maybe even cheesy..lol
Anyways i am hoping this becomes a nice project..good luck :)

Anyone have pics of the area before it was cleared? I have no memory of how any of it looked.

I don't see anything at all Manchego-like, Roquefort-ine, or Cheddar-ish in that paragraph above. Do you know what cheesy means? Or maybe you really do mean 'chessy', in which case you might opt to resign.

And nothing more than average quality architecture? Saucier + Perrotte's buildings here will be amongst the coolest new homes for cats in this city.

Let's wait 'till Saucier + Perrotte's design actually gets built. Right now it's a beautiful projection; but don't forget that its dancing in the middle of one ugly crowd (thanks streetcar).

The Streetcar stuff is mundane as all h---, but surely even the most cynical of us must be hopeful about Saucier + Perotte's slick and undulating design for River City. I think this has potential to be one of the coolest developments downtown.

ignore Automation Gallery... if it aint 70 storeys and 300m tall then it counts as cheesy to him. Now, back to the adult conversation....

Back