Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

Actually this development is no longer 2 phases (supposedly) its just 1 now. It was going to be ~ 100K phase 1 + 50K phase 2. But I think they just built 125 or so in phase one and that's it. This is regarding the Aquarium that is.

8473757204_be4f0195f3_h.jpg

8472666775_da9070247f_h.jpg

Excuse my finger in the second photo.

Quote Originally Posted by isaidso: Hopefully that parking garage in the distance can be redeveloped and help mitigate what is a depressingly dreary swath of banality.

Originally Posted by voxpopulicosmicum: Apparently you will get your wish before too long.

Can we start a thread for that one vox?

I'm working on sorting out details and will be happy to provide them if they materialize. I was somewhat shocked when I heard the little birdie singing about the plan, given that it appears to have recently had a bunch of money spent on structural reinforcements.

I'm working on sorting out details and will be happy to provide them if they materialize. I was somewhat shocked when I heard the little birdie singing about the plan, given that it appears to have recently had a bunch of money spent on structural reinforcements.

Are you guys talking about the parking garage behind the Waterclub towers?
Does the plan include retail? I know it is not materialized yet but that would be awesome to get a rough idea of the plan

Isn't that the parking for the water club condos ?

Have to say - they can't seem to get the landscaping of the area right. Not then, and not now. Like seriously, they could have softened up the area a bit with the use of more appropriate plantings, instead of repeating the windswept plaza motif again and again with some pathetic looking vegetation as afterthought.

AoD

Alvin, I recall from some time ago -- maybe 2009 -- that the new plaza is specifically engineered to kill the wind tunnel effect that it suffers from now. The south orientation centred on the tower was preferred but this angled approach was adopted instead because it will cut off winds. Some trees wouldn't have hurt though.

The white metal and low-oxide glass on the aquarium is looking good. Here's hoping they use the same glass on the tower base addition. The rendering seems to promise that.
The peculiar mineral blue used on the revamped elevator and stair combo at the north end of the CN entry is quite enough of itself already though, IMO. Any idea what the floorplans and layout of the added-onto base structure will look like? I suppose they'll have to remove a lot of the doodadery that is the formerly (?) outdoor ticket booths and the overhangs over the exit doors and such.

With the new landscaping and the clear, light pavilion treatment of the entry buildings, the base could look more unified than it has in some time. That would be welcome.I suppose the only thing left to do would be do replace the dark glass/dark metal original elevator boarding enclosures with a light-coloured and more transparent duplicate. Or not.

As long as they don't bring back the hokey miniature gardens - and that we never see anything like miniature golf cluttering up the base of this structure again, a lot is forgiven.

Last edited:

Back