Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

I’m curious when this was built was there any allowance for a future expansion. Every time I’ve been here it’s been absolutely packed, so I suspect attendance is not an issue, if not the opposite. Mind you, none of that is necessarily incentive on their part.

View attachment 565160
There was talk of expanding it as part of the Convention Centre expansion, last time they were talking about that several years ago now: one of the Convention Centre expansion concepts was to bridge over rail corridor, and continue over and connect up with Ripley's Aquarium, which would have gained new space. The idea was the expansion would bring people back to the Aquarium when people stopped going… …bit it turns out, that other than for @DSC, everyone's been going so they haven't felt the need to spend any cash expansion-wise at all. So, would you all quit going please, until such time as an expansion is underway? I don't want to even think about the place again until such time as there's a giant squid exhibit where the creature pulls boatloads of visitors deep into its tank, never to be seen again!

I believe early on there was talk of Phase II - but I vaguely recall it all ended up being built at the same time.

AoD
There was talk of expanding it as part of the Convention Centre expansion, last time they were talking about that several years ago now: one of the Convention Centre expansion concepts was to bridge over rail corridor, and continue over and connect up with Ripley's Aquarium, which would have gained new space. The idea was the expansion would bring people back to the Aquarium when people stopped going… …bit it turns out, that other than for @DSC, everyone's been going so they haven't felt the need to spend any cash expansion-wise at all. So, would you all quit going please, until such time as an expansion is underway? I don't want to even think about the place again until such time as there's a giant squid exhibit where the creature pulls boatloads of visitors deep into its tank, never to be seen again!

I don't remember the Convention Centre expansion plan, but at the beginning (2008/2009) this was always zoned as a Phase 1, Phase 2 project. To date, only Phase 1 has been built:
ScreenShot004-1.jpg

Back