Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

BlogTO posted an article about it, and included an image I've never seen before.

201188-ripleys-T%292.jpg

Source

ewww .... my eyes!

IMO... not an appealing render. What are those angles?!

Yep, that's a pretty ugly render -- the result looks like either the artist or architect doesn't understand perspective.

Or perhaps the building is from R'lyeh.

compare the td tower in both images... and it becomes night and day to me.

I agree, comparing the two renderings it is obvious they are very different buildings. The latest design seems to be a smaller, much more modest proposal, although every bit as ugly as the original :mad:

Who is the Architect behind this garbage :confused:

From the Toronto Star story:

"Millions of dollars in government grants and foregone property taxes will help bring tens of thousands of underwater creatures, including sharks seen from a moving walkway through a tunnel in the bottom of a huge tank"

If the taxpayer is helping to underwrite the cost of this private enterprise to the tune of $ Millions, why didn't the city invite other companies to submit proposals in a competition to award this multi-million dollar jackpot to the company that offered to build the biggest and best Aquarium? How did Billionaire Jim Pattison become the beneficiary of $ Millions in taxpayer money for his third-rate tourist attraction :confused:

Something smells fishy here :)

Last edited:
compare the td tower in both images... and it becomes night and day to me.

Are you arguing against yourself? Because if you compare the TD Tower, on the newer rendering the tower is on the right, on the older render it is on the left. Thus, that demonstrates that it is a different perspective, not a different building. The new render is clearly the same design, viewed from a more south to north perspective whereas the older render was viewed from the West.

"Millions of dollars in government grants and foregone property taxes will help bring tens of thousands of underwater creatures, including sharks seen from a moving walkway through a tunnel in the bottom of a huge tank"

Is this true, I thought this was a wholly private endeavor?

I guess its expected when it comes to tourist attractions, 10 mil fom each level of government is nothing to lose any sleep over considering the benifits it will bring to Toronto's tourism industry...also jobs, jobs, jobs.:)

From The Star a while back.....A source with knowledge of the plans said various levels of government are expected to contribute about $10 million each to the project, with Ripley’s investing $110 million — a figure Pattison would not confirm.

According to these links there are $Millions in subsidies including a $10 Million tax-break from the city!

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1037252--ripley-s-toronto-aquarium-to-open-in-2013

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/945150--aquarium-an-attraction-with-teeth

"The city is expected to provide about $10 million in tax breaks, with millions more from the provincial and possibly federal governments"

With $Millions in taxpayer money helping to fund this venture there should have been an open competition to find a company that would build the biggest and best Aquarium (not necessarily at this site either, something at Ontario Place would have been much a better location).

I guess its expected when it comes to tourist attractions, 10 mil fom each level of government is nothing to lose any sleep over considering the benifits it will bring to Toronto's tourism industry...also jobs, jobs, jobs.:)
[/B].

I'm not opposed to governments providing financial assistance to help land a major tourist attraction but if the taxpayer is going to foot $30 Million of the costs why didn't the city hold an open competition to find a company to build the biggest an best Aquarium? Why is there so much secrecy around a project involving $30 Million in taxpayer money ? (" a figure Pattison would not confirm").

Well perhaps it wasn't/isn't the best climate to advertise government funding for tourist attractions, especially now with all of the talk surrounding cuts to public programs. 30M isn't an obscene amount for this sort of thing but it is enough to take notice in this economic climate. At least some kind of gesture of public involvement with the direction of this would have been good though. Like it or lump it seems to be the mantra of this thread, but I suspect it's because Toronto has had so many failed attempts in the past. Looking at Archivistower's post on this many pages back is somewhat amusing.:D

Back