Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

The design would be fine with me if Ripley's, instead of plastering their name on every side of the building, opted for a more dignified stand-alone sign. As it stands right now, the design is really compromised by the Clifton Hill-esque logo.

I think it's because we know what Ripley's stands for. If you think about it as one of North America's largest Aquariums with real entertainment value and out of the box interesting architecture, it's actually quite exciting that this is really really under construction! Toronto has wanted and talked about an Aquarium for decades. We're getting one!

Ripley's reputation is a bit soiled by the tackiness of their Believe It or Not franchise but their aquariums are excellent. While I would have wanted a more academic and institutional aquarium with a major goal of research first, we've waited this long and nobody -- neither government nor philanthropic entities -- have shown any real interest. The only route to having an aquarium is commercial viability and Ripley's stepped up.

As for the location, I too would have wanted it to be a shining piece of beautiful architecture on our waterfront but think of the collateral advantages to having an aquarium at the foot of the CN Tower:

- It will finally fix the windswept foot of the tower. The aquarium is the centrepiece of a redevelopment of the plaza surrounding the CN Tower. This land is owned by the CN Tower and proceeds from the lease of this property will go to reconfiguring the base of the tower and making it more interesting. It might even help fund improvements to the tower itself (it needs a good cleanup, if not a shiny new skin). Shops will be joining the Aquarium on the opposite side of the plaza (Abutting the SkyDome property wall).

- The problem with the CN Tower is that despite it being such a major attraction in our city, it cannot handle large crowds. How many people fit in there? A couple hundred people at most? That's why we never see more than a small handful of dispersed people wandering the grounds. The Aquarium will handle many times more people, presumably many of which will be tourists. It'll fill the plaza and surrounding areas all year round.

- It'll help propel the development of a corridor to the waterfront. The West8/DTAH plan for the central waterfront showed a path from the CN Tower to Harbourfront Centre. While Waterfront Toronto originally panned this as out of the scope of the revitalization competition, the aquarium gives it a renewed raison d'être. A direct link to the waterfront will have a stronger chance of being argued in favour of with a new champion calling for this link (Ripley's).

- Speaking of links, there's been sporadic talk of decking over the rail corridor north of the CN Tower. The densification of this area only strengthens that need. It's not a matter of if but of when. The corridor will eventually be reclaimed and the faster this area is built up, the quicker it will happen. How about a park north of the CN Tower along with the construction of a new central "wing" for the Metro Convention Centre?

- There'll be a synergy between both attractions. The CN Tower will draw new visitors at a time when its appeal has been sagging for more than a decade. Nobody's going to knock the CN tower down but it hasn't been a good decade for it as a commercial enterprise. The new LEDs, EdgeWalk, the Aquarium and soon a revitalization of the base and surrounding plaza are turning this around. In reverse, the Aquarium will also benefit from the CN Tower. Tourists are already drawn here for obvious reasons. If it had been located at Ontario Place or off in the Portlands or EastBayfront it would have had difficulty getting a consistent audience. Ripley's originally negotiated with Ontario Place and found the location to be unsuitable because of difficult access.

The arrival of a major new attraction here is welcome and just what the area needed. Don't worry about the waterfront. It will find its icons in time. Queens Quay itself is posed to become an icon in its own right if developed unhindered by the Ford administration. That ring of wide sidewalks and large trees is going to be gorgeous. World famous architects will swarm here at the first opportunity (They're already coming).

Last edited:
i'm gonna see how the real thing turns out before i make my judgement. Scale will play a huge factor it the effectiveness of its design

If one behaves like a disrespectful boorish idiot, especially a man in his position, then one gets what one deserves. I don't consider myself a lefty btw.

BlogTO posted an article about it, and included an image I've never seen before.

201188-ripleys-T%292.jpg

Source

You can see that there was a concerted effort invested in the design. It's not a box with no thought put into it. To me it sort of looks like a futuristic robot whale.

All those facets will look very interesting with changing light and the stairs will add to the area by providing a place for people to sit and congregate while the various levels created by the slopes will add a little more dynamism to the base of the CN Tower.

My only hope is that they change their mind about the grey. The CN Tower, the SkyDome and their surrounding grounds are already so grey. I hope that either some colour is added or perhaps a reflective black or white paneling.
Agree for the most part. I think the appearance of grey in the rendering may be a bit misleading, though, as the cladding will probably be metallic silver - which is really hard to render. The difference between grey (Toronto's ROM Crystal) vs silver (Vegas' City Center Crystal) can be quite striking.

Going silver will make or break this particular design.

BlogTO posted an article about it, and included an image I've never seen before.

201188-ripleys-T%292.jpg

Source

I know that it's probably just paint on those stairs, but imagine if they could somehow extend one of the internal tanks out of the building to form the staircase. I wonder if there's a kind of glass out there that would be strong enough.

Last edited:
I know that it's probably just paint on those stairs, but imagine if they could somehow extend one of the internal tanks out of the building to form the staircase. I wonder if there's a kind of glass out there that would be strong enough.

My exact thought when I saw that picture.

Scary! Ever seen Jaws 3? I wouldn't want that glass cracking while walking up those stairs lol

Back