Toronto Ripley's Aquarium of Canada | 13.11m | 2s | Ripley Entertainment | B+H

maybe I'm weird, but I like it..

You may be weird ( ;) ) but not for that reason.....in my opinion this building shows the importance of context in judging a design. This building in most parts of the city would be awful....but in the context of being beside an eclectic group of buildings geared at tourists like it is (south convention centre, cn tower, Rogers Centre) it works.

It's hard to judge until it actually opens, but just peeking through the hoarding I'm not crazy about how it addresses (or rather, doesn't address) Bremner. It looks like it's landscaped nicely enough, but there's nothing there to make someone want to linger. Maybe if the spot gets animated with buskers it won't be so bad.

You may be weird ( ;) ) but not for that reason.....in my opinion this building shows the importance of context in judging a design. This building in most parts of the city would be awful....but in the context of being beside an eclectic group of buildings geared at tourists like it is (south convention centre, cn tower, Rogers Centre) it works.

Add me to the freaklist. I like it as well.

Does anyone else feel this could go the way of the Olympic Spirit?

Nope. It'll stick around for good. Maybe change ownership years down the road, but I think the general public wants an aquarium in Toronto. Olympic Spirit was far too nichey for the general public.

+1

I can see myself going here once a year. Nothing like an aquarium to help lift the spirits when the winter blahs kick in mid-February :D

Would be nice if this was a MAP pass building. Probably too much to expect since it's privately owned. Yet another thing in Toronto I'll never be able to afford.

Being bought by Rogers and turned into a news studio? I don't think so.

Maybe CTV this time? The Canada AM studio seems so boring. Global got Bloor Street frontage for the Morning Show, which I would say is better than Citytv's studio at the back of Dundas Square facing the Square's cheap back wall. Global now has the best street-level studio. They've beaten Citytv at their own game in that sense.

Not unless they plan on tossing people into shark pits on live TV.

That's something Citytv would do. They'd probably send Jennifer Valentyne.

Would be nice if this was a MAP pass building. Probably too much to expect since it's privately owned. Yet another thing in Toronto I'll never be able to afford.

I had to google what MAP was, and I had no idea something like that existed. I also doubt that the aquarium will be included, but it would be great if it was. I'm just a single guy so it's no big deal for me to pay for one adult admission at these places (especially with my teacher discount), but I've always been floored by what it would cost a family to have a day at some of these institutions.

I can assure you there is nothing of that nature on Queensway.

Yeah, this one has a door!

BkiSTyq.jpg

I have named the Ripley's building a big Shark...because, yes, it's designed to resemble a big shark...after all.

I love the new grey "gills" on the side of the roof,...I mean Shark! I nice detail.

p.s. I can almost hear the excitement of some now that Salmon Run is working. Again. Today.

Back