Toronto RioCan Hall | 145.2m | 42s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Multiplexes were the McDonaldsization of the movie theatre experience. Cheap, generic, repeatable, predictable. Part of me is glad they're dying, and hopes for a return of the "theatre" being put back into movie theatres, with more focus on the experience. That will come at a price though.

Obviously we need also to get past the endless copy and paste superhero movies, and start drawing back a wider audience.

It seems that for many simply being near ‘the public’ these days is somehow threatening and increasingly annoying.

Six theatres, that's all that's in the drawings, currently. And TBH, if that's the program, that's it. Having been involved at arms length with trying to secure a theatre operator for The Well, I can tell you, it's not an easy lease. The combination of a very conservative tenant (they all want easy parking, among other things) and high rent (think of how much volumetric space a theatre takes up in a multiuse building), it's not an easy thing to accommodate. Perhaps pre-torrenting and streaming, it still made sense, but all the discussions I was part of indicated it was a vertiginous, uphill, battle.

Six theatres, that's all that's in the drawings, currently. And TBH, if that's the program, that's it. Having been involved at arms length with trying to secure a theatre operator for The Well, I can tell you, it's not an easy lease. The combination of a very conservative tenant (they all want easy parking, among other things) and high rent (think of how much volumetric space a theatre takes up in a multiuse building), it's not an easy thing to accommodate. Perhaps pre-torrenting and streaming, it still made sense, but all the discussions I was part of indicated it was a vertiginous, uphill, battle.

I must take a moment, as I do from time to time, to applaud one of our educated membership for making their English teachers proud. So rare is the use of the work Vertiginous in sentence, and rarer still, its correct use!

Back