Toronto RioCan Hall | 145.2m | 42s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

What I am most interested in is the handling of the theatre/cinema portion as DSAI are known for their arts spaces. Also an increase in density as the approved towers going up around this are now much taller.

Some serious sound engineering must be going into putting a size-able theatre within a residential development with a preschool too.

Hopefully that Goodlife Fitness comes back and not another Gin and Tonic

2 big theatres, 1 medium theatre, 3 small theatres. Towers are the same heights as before. It's all very "Diamond Schmitt" but there are some remaining 'joie de vivre' elements from the old HPA version.

We're down to six cinemas? Is my memory wrong, I thought we were down to eight.

From 14.

I used to love going to movies, between crap product selection, and too few screens in too generic venues I've gone from literally a weekly movie-goer to less than monthly.

To be clear, that's entirely on Cineplex. There is a much better selection of movies in NYC where the exhibitors and distributors are not so lazy and cowardly.

Last edited:
We're down to six cinemas? Is my memory wrong, I thought we were down to eight.

From 14.

I used to love going to movies, between crap product selection, and too few screens in too generic venues I've gone from literally a weekly movie-goer to less than monthly.

To be clear, that's entirely on Cineplex. There is a much better selection of movie in NYC where the exhibitors and distributors and not so lazy and cowardlly.
It would be a damn shame if we're only down to 6 theatres here.

Cineplex completely screwed up by not going into The Well, I think that's a mistake they're going to regret deeply in a couple years once they see how popular it will be. Especially since they're trying to pump the fact that cinemas arent dying.

It would be a damn shame if we're only down to 6 theatres here.

Cineplex completely screwed up by not going into The Well, I think that's a mistake they're going to regret deeply in a couple years once they see how popular it will be. Especially since they're trying to pump the fact that cinemas arent dying.

Screen count matters
Location Matters
PRODUCT matters
And so does ambiance.

Not everyone wants the same.

The template experience these days in typical teenage boy (superhero film, suburban) forward.

I'm not saying don't do that.

I'm saying offer more than that.

I hope that they are being designed for a range of uses such as university lectures in the mornings similar to what TMU does at Dundas Square cinema. OCAD and Northeastern come to mind.

I wouldn’t mind a few more varsity sized theatres in the city.

I really miss the Uptown (cinema 1, which was actually the balcony of the original, but still 954 seat).

I miss The Eglinton, another 800+ seat beast...........

I miss the grand staircase of The York Cinema.

Theatres that were date-worthy, that made going to a movie seem like something special.

But I miss as much, if not more, an array of international product............American independent and Canadian product.....

I like a good Bond film now and again, everyone needs their brain candy....

But offer me a Winter's Bone; (American indy) a Jude; (Brit); Olive Harvest (Israeli), Kolya (Czech), Wild Tales (Argentina).............

The chance to laugh, cringe, sympathize, rage, through the eyes of another.......with a story that resonates is so wonderful and all too rare.

Idk I was born in 1993 so my cinema experience has either been multiplex or tiny remaining independent / rare trip to a drive in.

For what it’s worth, varsity always has independent movies on offer including lots of international fare, especially during festival / awards season. They reliably show smaller films that get limited releases so always check their listings! They are also one of two theatres in Toronto proper that still has 70mm film projectors for special events and certain films (other is the light box). I saw Phantom Thread and Babylon on 70mm and it was gorgeous and felt v special. Young and dundas also always has lots of international stuff on show .

Last edited:
I'm at an unfortunate age that I've experienced drives-ins to Netflix and all multiplex points in between. And for what it's worth here, I am glad they're planning to keep some movie theatre semblance in the next stage of this site.

Oh man, Diamond Schmitt are some of the worst residential architects in the city these days. Hopefully this isn't another clunker.
I think this is an overreach. Their latest work in VMC is quite good, and the new McMaster Graduate Student Residence in Hamilton is turning out wonderfully.

Perhaps their residential work doesn’t rival HPA, who is arguably the best local residential architect right now, but they are clearly capable of good work with the right client.

I think this is an overreach. Their latest work in VMC is quite good, and the new McMaster Graduate Student Residence in Hamilton is turning out wonderfully.

Perhaps their residential work doesn’t rival HPA, who is arguably the best local residential architect right now, but they are clearly capable of good work with the right client.

Agreed. Clearly First Capital is not that 'right client'

Back