Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

A superior concrete shell, frame, support system and subtly formed ornament.

5ab3ef07e44df48f84361cfca0902b72_zps5be6484a.jpg

MacMillan Bloedel, Arthur Erickson.

Frankly, I'd love to see the ICE office component take this as it's standard.

Last edited:
Yeah, but this building's concrete shell was never going to turn into that. We all knew it was going to be a glass curtain wall, so that's why I find the comment bizarre that "Given such a great concrete shell..." it turned into what? It's renderings?

This is another time where it's very easy to appreciate dreamer's photos, but his odd comments turn the focus away from the pictured project and onto himself. And I agree that the building's glazing/cladding is bland, despicably so actually, but it's nothing other than what the renderings have prepared us for. So yes, why highlight this concrete shell? It's as ugly as any other. CN is right; anything less than than the quality of MacMillan Bloedel is not worth bleating about.

It's really cool coming off of the Gardiner on the York St. exit on a GO bus. Feels like you're going to fly into the building, haha.

Today, -9
IMG_6294.jpg
IMG_6303.jpg
IMG_6306.jpg
IMG_6314.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_6390.jpg
IMG_6272.jpg
IMG_6414.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6376.jpg
    IMG_6376.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_6390.jpg
    IMG_6390.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
Saw the cladding up close. It looks SUPER cheap. It's all wavy and distorted. Each panel looks different than the one beside it.

Is's not that the panels are different, but the glass is warped and doesn't look very good. As I will look at it hopefully many more years, I was really hopping to have at least better quality mirror glass.
IMG_6464.jpg

Is's not that the panels are different, but the glass is warped and doesn't look very good.

Yeah that's a better word for it, 'warped'. All the panels look warped. Is that an intended architectural effect? Cuz it's weird to my eye.

Thanks for those great pics, Zeiss!

Glad you like the pictures. I was taking them while sitting on my sofa and having coffee, but those workers were out and way up at minus 9...brrrhhh , they have to be very tough guys and I hope it's worth it.

Thanks a lot for all the pics today, MafaldaBoy! I think that you covered the entire downtown ;)

I don't see how the cladding here looks bland or cheap, as mentioned above. I love the use of the fins. It's really looking stellar. But I guess if one takes photos on dreary days then any building would look bland. Such a tough crowd.

Back