Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

That's the plan. As noted above, there will be major work done east of Yonge. So the work done now was meant to be quick and not permanent. Don't use it as the basis of the work being done west of Yonge!

The traffic lights are a temporary, it may seem pointless, but safety is a prerequisite especially around areas where emergency vehicles are required to exit in the area. Lights in both directions allows for the safely of pedestrian traffic walking both east and west along the south side of Queens Quay. Remember the traffic patterns change on a weekly basis, sometimes lanes of traffic are moved from north to south to allow construction. Give this some time folks, it is a construction site and from what I see, on a daily basis, they are moving along very efficiently

If thats the case - why the left hand turn signal for non-existent traffic?

A few days ago, had a look at the work on this project.

Noticed a bump out platform at Freeland and it wasn't there when the sidewalk was done last year.

The portal area torn apart at the top with tracks being removed west of it.

The road is a zig zag from York St to Spadina Loop.

De-watering system being install along the north sidewalk, starting at Simcoe. At Spadina, it next to the tracks with saw cutting taking place beside it.

Tracks removed on the bridge and the bridge looks in good shape.

Crews were working on Spadina for the waterline work before the tracks can be rebuilt across Lake Shore.

Hydro and waterline work taking place from Freeland to Spadina and a mess for walking.

Traffic lights almost ready for the fire station area, for both direction.

They still can't dewater the area in front of the rees streetdeck, the lights at QQ and fire station are still non-functional and the 510 street car won't start service to QQ until late Fall now. No word on the 509. I get the feeling we are starting to see stackable delays.

They still can't dewater the area in front of the rees streetdeck, the lights at QQ and fire station are still non-functional and the 510 street car won't start service to QQ until late Fall now. No word on the 509. I get the feeling we are starting to see stackable delays.

510 and 509 streetcars will not return to this area until Nov.

Reconstruction of the Spadina loop is about to start and the right thing to do. The intersection will be done earlier than plan, but on opening day, do more disruptions as originally plan.

There are some problems with Hydro and water work that is pushing the opening day back.

There is to be a public meeting on or about May 4 as an update as to what is going on for this project.

The WT meeting on QQE is apparently on May 8th. It clearly does make FAR more sense to replace the Spadina loop as part of the QQ project - their earlier idea of having streetcars back on QQ for July and August and THEN doing the loop made no sense. More details on Steve Munro's site at http://stevemunro.ca/?p=6404

The real problem here is the almost inevitable slippage in WT projects. (Examples are many but there is The Esplanade sewer (The Esplanade still not repaired); the temporary work on QQ east of Yonge; the traffic lights at Lower Sherbourne and QQE; the very lengthy closure of Cherry Street and Old Eastern Avenue; Bathurst Quay; the still not opened Don River Park....) WT really looses credibility with each delay - though their projects are normally first class,

510 and 509 streetcars will not return to this area until Nov.
Where did you hear that? TTC site says "late Spring" and originally the date for 509 was March ... which has obviously passed and which I thought was optimistic.

The WT meeting on QQE is apparently on May 8th. It clearly does make FAR more sense to replace the Spadina loop as part of the QQ project - their earlier idea of having streetcars back on QQ for July and August and THEN doing the loop made no sense. More details on Steve Munro's site at http://stevemunro.ca/?p=6404

The real problem here is the almost inevitable slippage in WT projects. (Examples are many but there is The Esplanade sewer (The Esplanade still not repaired); the temporary work on QQ east of Yonge; the traffic lights at Lower Sherbourne and QQE; the very lengthy closure of Cherry Street and Old Eastern Avenue; Bathurst Quay; the still not opened Don River Park....) WT really looses credibility with each delay - though their projects are normally first class,

But in WT's defense - they have not been able to dewater the area in front of the rees street wavedeck, they are now on Plan D by the sounds of it... which is digging two large wells. I dunno what they do if this fails, they are running out of ideas. They also need to figure out a alternative way to clear out the parking lot at Rees / QQ... one lane of traffic is not cutting it after Jay's games.

But in WT's defense - they have not been able to dewater the area in front of the rees street wavedeck, they are now on Plan D by the sounds of it... which is digging two large wells. I dunno what they do if this fails, they are running out of ideas. They also need to figure out a alternative way to clear out the parking lot at Rees / QQ... one lane of traffic is not cutting it after Jay's games.
There are always "good excuses' from WT but when these delays seem to occur on almost every project one begins to wonder if their project planning is all it should be. The fact that dewatering very close to the lake on in-fill land is difficult is hardly surprising to me.

In WT's defence, they tendered the contract, picked the bidder, and have terms in their contract for penalties if that was important to them and if not didn't because the cost of bids goes up with more terms. I'm pretty sure it isn't WT staff our there checking how much water is in the ground and hooking up dewatering equipment.

In WT's defence, they tendered the contract, picked the bidder, and have terms in their contract for penalties if that was important to them and if not didn't because the cost of bids goes up with more terms. I'm pretty sure it isn't WT staff our there checking how much water is in the ground and hooking up dewatering equipment.
That's the whole point; without adequate pre-investigation, the bidders have no basis on how to bid, and have to assume that they will not encounter any significant issues, or else they'll be underbid. It's not like the bidders can go out there and do testing while they bid!

As such, with a lack of appropriate information about the conditions (which is a comment I heard from one of the bidders during the bidding) if the conditions aren't what was expected, and the contractor can't perform, it doesn't matter what penalties and terms are in the contract, as they aren't enforceable.

Also - they've now moved the end date of WB only traffic on QQ from November to March 2014.

Streetcars will not be running on QQ before 2014 from what I saw today,

They are saw cutting the ROW west of Spadina now to shift the eastbound traffic over to the north side as original in Phase II. It along with the loop will be rebuilt as plan before streetcars enter service again. This is the correct thing to do.

As a side note, Spadina Bridge work should be finish either by this weekend or early next week. The car people will be happy, as they get that lost lane back.

TTC will be still using buses south of King until late 2013 or early 2014 even with the bridge work finish, as the loop and intersection have to be rebuilt first.

Back