Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

This is certainly possible but if you look at the WT site they seem to be doing exactly what they planned - rebuilding the road north of the new TTC tracks. Clearly they need to get traffic off that section of road while they do this.
The WT website says:

Stage 2 (Summer 2013 – Early 2014):
Major works include:
• Building new traffic lanes north of the TTC tracks with expanded turning lanes and improved signal timing.
• Sidewalk improvements including installation of granite curbs and pavers, tree planting and finishes. Each section will open as work progresses with the entire northside expected to reopen by early 2014.

But that says 2013-2014.. and we're only in 2012. I'm also wondering if they may be re-insituting two way traffic, as they reconfigured the traffic lights for QQ traffic @ Rees... but they did it for both directions.

Question!!.

Do we keep this thread for the eastern section or should it be broken out, as work is to start on the eastern section this year in phases??

I have info on the eastern work and totally different as to what taking place for the current work.

Question!!.

Do we keep this thread for the eastern section or should it be broken out, as work is to start on the eastern section this year in phases??

I have info on the eastern work and totally different as to what taking place for the current work.

Good point. I'd like to see this info, and would be more interested in it than QQ West, considering it's in my part of the city. Since the two areas are quite different maybe just make a new thread for it. The mods can decide to join the two if they wish.

They are setting up a brand new set of lights where the fire station and entrance to 350 QQ is ... seems kinda pointless, they are also setting them up for both directions on temporary poles. I remember when the first plans came out - they wanted the parking lot at Rees emptying at the 350 QQ entrance instead - but a huge backlash caused them to backtrack. I just hope this isnt a sign they went back to plan A...

Here's a picture of how it looks so far:

QQ020213.jpg

Attachments

• QQ020213.jpg
    QQ020213.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 406
The traffic lights are a temporary, it may seem pointless, but safety is a prerequisite especially around areas where emergency vehicles are required to exit in the area. Lights in both directions allows for the safely of pedestrian traffic walking both east and west along the south side of Queens Quay. Remember the traffic patterns change on a weekly basis, sometimes lanes of traffic are moved from north to south to allow construction. Give this some time folks, it is a construction site and from what I see, on a daily basis, they are moving along very efficiently

As I live on QQ, I was very exited with the revitalization of the street. The problems we have now with the construction is supposed to be minor in comparison to the great expectation we have for the final result. Unfortunately the finished part of the curb and sidewalk at the Sugar refinery cooled down my enthusiasm. They didn't even bother to grate and level the terrain. Hopefully the other parts of the construction will be of better quality. Everyday I pass by, I get pissed off. As it goes it may turn out to be another St. Clair.

Why on earth would they spend the time and effort making the section east of Yonge look perfect? As soon as they have the funds (admittedly, could be years) it will all be dug up to build the streetcar portal and reconfigure that part of the street.

Why on earth would they spend the time and effort making the section east of Yonge look perfect? As soon as they have the funds (admittedly, could be years) it will all be dug up to build the streetcar portal and reconfigure that part of the street.
Aren't they just keeping a strip of grass where the tracks will go? They can build everything else ... as you can see on Queens Quay West, most of the cost is everything but the tracks.

What they have done now is far from 'perfect' and was quite cheap to do. Really all that occured was that the separated Martin Goodman trail was extended to Jarvis, a sidewalk was installed from Redpath Sugar to Jarvis and the street was repaved.

Back