Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

Residential occupancy is set to begin next June. Some of the retail might be ready a bit before then...

from today...
20101003037-1.jpg

20101003038.jpg

20101003040-1.jpg

Quick photo update from yesterday. Glass and brick cladding is up on the 3rd floor.

attachment.php

Was in the area yesterday and got a chance to see the building up close. Man, the brick is disgusting.

I don't know about disgusting, but the brick colour is definitely too bland and grayish. A brighter/yellower choice would have looked a lot crisper, and contrasted better with the dark brown strips.

Hopefully this is partly due to mortar and dust being all over everything. A wash when it's all built could make an improvement.

I don't know about disgusting, but the brick colour is definitely too bland and grayish. A brighter/yellower choice would have looked a lot crisper, and contrasted better with the dark brown strips.

Hopefully this is partly due to mortar and dust being all over everything. A wash when it's all built could make an improvement.

No, that's the actual brick colour. It looks like a high school in Brampton. The Bohemian Embassy uses a similar colour for some of its façades. Bloody embarrassing for the main cultural strip of the largest city in Canada.

No, that's the actual brick colour. It looks like a high school in Brampton. The Bohemian Embassy uses a similar colour for some of its façades. Bloody embarrassing for the main cultural strip of the largest city in Canada.

lol... yeah, because Queen Street certainly doesn't look old and rundown everywhere else.

lol... yeah, because Queen Street certainly doesn't look old and rundown everywhere else.

So what? New buildings are supposed 'fit in' and look rundown? Certainly not. Queen Street has a lot of poorly maintained buildings, but it's also rich in heritage and architecture. Mediocrity is uncalled for.

Just saw it today. It's really drab and devoid of character. A giant mural by local graffiti artists might legitimize it, but I kind of doubt the stakeholders would agree to something like that.

Found this from about two years earlier in this thread (quote edited for brevity):

Adam Vaughan's newsletter is talking about brick and glass for the building:

[...]

Because the proposed building would stretch from Queen to Richmond Streets, the proposal must respond to both the Queen Street West Heritage Conservation District (on its Queen frontage) and the King-Spadina Plan (on the Richmond side) in its appearance and structure.

This resulted in requirements for retail uses at grade on Queen, a certain proportion of brick and glass on its Queen façade, while the design of the Richmond frontage relates to the more industrial character of the King-Spadina area.

So, it sounded good on paper!

A Design Review Panel would surely have determined that the developer's idea of a brick facade, upon closer inspection, really doesn't reconcile with the urban character of the heritage district. Add this project to the list of reasons to justify the DRP, I guess.

Turner Fleischer should really know better (Broadview Lofts) -- although I suppose most of this brick was already there before they got involved :p

broadviewlofts.jpg

Last edited:

Back