News   May 09, 2024
 302     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 401     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 679     1 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

We've had several robocalls from the police union over the past two or three weeks.

The frantic misinformation campaign by the police union has actually made me look on these reforms more favourably. Mike McCormack did not come across well on Metro Morning the other day.

Chief Mark Saunders on lessons learned in 2016: "Grey cars. I will never let the media lead with a story again," he said on CP24. "I will take ownership right from the start, and present properly, so...lessons learned." He became "a little bit wiser".

Chief Mark Saunders on lessons learned in 2016: "Grey cars. I will never let the media lead with a story again," he said on CP24. "I will take ownership right from the start, and present properly, so...lessons learned." He became "a little bit wiser".

Isn't the problem better personal judgement and not PR?

AoD

True enough. He made a questionable decision, proceeded to announce on Metro Morning that he hadn't given a lot of thought to the decision before making it, and he now identifies the problem as letting media lead with a story?

True enough. He made a questionable decision, proceeded to announce on Metro Morning that he hadn't given a lot of thought to the decision before making it, and he now identifies the problem as letting media lead with a story?

I don't see him complaining about the media leading if it is "if it bleeds, it leads".

AoD

Last edited:
Since the BLM thread is shut down for some lame reason, I will post here the news that Toronto Police announced today that they will not march in the pride parade.

Statement from mayor Tory:
C4UaA13XAAARn5i.jpg-large.jpeg

Attachments

• C4UaA13XAAARn5i.jpg-large.jpeg
    C4UaA13XAAARn5i.jpg-large.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 473
Councillor John Campbell has drafted a motion to have Pride Toronto denied city funding because of its decision to exclude the Toronto Police Service from this year's festivities. "Why is the city funding it, when they're using these tactics of exclusion against the police?" Pride Toronto "got bullied into it by Black Lives Matter, and it was wrong."

The seven other councillors who support it: Mark Grimes, Justin Di Ciano, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Stephen Holyday, Jon Burnside, Michael Ford and Giorgio Mammoliti.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-pride-police-1.4043261

Discussions are under way on the potential merger of 54 and 55 divisions (East York and Dundas/Coxwell)

I'm told the current working focus is on a new building adjacent to the former EY Civic Ctr.

My personal thinking is that something involving the old TTC Coxwell Barns site would be more interesting, and better situated; mind you there would be a mix
of issues including dealing w/residual TTC ops on site, heritage structures and the possible need to redevelop the library depending on how a layout was done.

I've got an idea. Anybody know how many civic parades and community celebrations the cops participate in with a large uniformed presence and an official float?

Maybe the cops, as a sign that they want to be more open to the communities of Toronto, to build better relationships of openness, diversity and inclusivity with the people they serve, and that they welcome the opportunities presented in their Reformation Process, hold their own Parades and festivities to which ALL citizens are invited and welcome?

OK, I'm a "bad apple" that's still sore at the force's mass arrests and other civil rights violations of the G20 and have serious concerns about "Police Culture" in North America.

I'm not a teenager in a priority neighbourhood who wants to shoot a few hoops with them. I have no "known" (to me) connections to suspected criminal elements. I've never been a threat to the police and am not now. I haven't even called them "pigs" since the 70s. Unlike the TPS rhetoric and tactics in the headlines these days and the inflammatory reactions of their powerful defenders, I hear a lot of Lived Experience truth, not about imagined subways and commute times, but about historic and present realities.

Maybe Mr.Tory could be an Honored Guest to address the city on what we all deserve going into the next election.

Pride said it would still go ahead without City funding. Why fund it then? Just a waste of taxpayer money. Let the corporate sponsors pay for it and then spend the cash on something else.

A lot of Ontario police services followed the OPP (and the 1974 Mount Prospect Police Dodge Monaco depicted above) and went with the black-and-white scheme - Halton, Hamilton, and Niagara. It's a bit aggressive, but it is distinctive and visible.

Lots of blue is good too, like the European examples above, and like Ottawa's police service. I never really cared for the Greyhoundesque swoosh the TPS uses.

Back