News   May 09, 2024
 495     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 460     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 758     1 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

All good points and ideas. What about changing the rules for paid duty jobs at construction sites? Jurisdictions around the country and continent make due to traffic cones or auxiliary police staff.
Yep that is another weird little Toronto only thing.....its like a Union/Mafia thing with odd rules forcing people to hire cops to stand around and make extra money. Leaving Toronto opened my eyes to how things are so much different and better in other Canadian cities.

Agreed 100%. A person should be joining the police for the same reason someone becomes a nurse, paramedic or social worker; a personal calling to help the community. No, it's not all tambourines, and you're going to have to sometimes face some of society's nastiest and most violent people, but the paramilitarization of policing needs to stop. Why the black uniforms, why keep your officers in their cars, why not return to beat cops walking their neighbourhoods?

lol ok..umm Tambourines??? really?

Ummm are you thinking of a different city???? Toronto has never had cars with Navy Blue being one of the main colours. They where yellow in the 70s and 80s (and possibly 60s too) then in the 90s they went to white cars...and since then its just been variations of the logo and word decals etc

They were yellow starting in late 1950s (when Metropolitan Toronto Police was formed), then went to white in the late 1980s. Peel switched from yellow to white around 1990. The OPP went from black-and-white cars to just white (with blue/silver striping) in the early 1980s, then Fantino switched the cars back to black-and-white. Since then, some other municipal police services went to black-and-white, such as Hamilton, Halton, Niagara, and Guelph. The only service in Ontario that I know uses navy blue is Waterloo Region.

My guess is that the report will be a joke.

No real structural changes. Just some Band-Aid cost cutting measures.

If I can make one wish it would be for a traffic authority like Vancouver has. For half the price you've got by-law officers who can enforce traffic laws, ensure traffic/pedestrian flow, and play construction pylon.

Given the recent events in Dallas, I've been hearing in the media about how progressive Dallas' police force is compared to other US cities.

For example, officers are required to do use-of-force training every two months (previously every two years). The police chief David Brown has cut in half the number of traffic tickets (a significant source of black exasperation), by assigning officers to other beats. He has published an accessible database on officer shootings and recently began releasing numbers even on officer use of weapons like pepper spray, an exceedingly rare level of openness. When Dallas's chief fires or disciplines an officer, he names and shames them on Twitter and Facebook.

Could you imagine Toronto police ever doing that?

Could you imagine Toronto police ever doing that?
I would, but thoughtcrime.

Actually shocked to learn all that information about Dallas' police force. They do seem really progressive based on the details above. Still, much of the responsibility comes down to the individual officers, and even with the repercussions mentioned, Dallas still seemed to rank pretty high in police killings as of 2014 according to this site: http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/cities/

I would, but thoughtcrime.

Actually shocked to learn all that information about Dallas' police force. They do seem really progressive based on the details above. Still, much of the responsibility comes down to the individual officers, and even with the repercussions mentioned, Dallas still seemed to rank pretty high in police killings as of 2014 according to this site: http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/cities/

Some really interesting stats are popping up in various media since Dallas. Just a for instance: apparently 27% of the victims of police shootings in the US nationally are identified as black, and 70% of cop killers are listed as white (which of course doesn't mean the remainder of perps were all "black").

One of the things we share with our American neighbours is the militarization of policing and the steady growth of a "tough on crime/criminals" policing culture. Shortly after BlackLivesMatter emerged in the States, police union organizations founded BlueLivesMatter, which among other things lobbies for BlueLM legislation which has been passed in a number of States making violence against cops a "hate crime" even though the rate of cops killed annually has gone down under Obama to levels under all previous administrations since Gerald Ford. Louisiana enacted a BlueLM law 2 months ago. And Canada started forming a number of BlueLivesMatter chapters shortly after the Americans.

REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL #2016-21;Professional Services For:Organizational Competency Framework

The Toronto Police Service is initiating this RFP to select a qualified proponent to provide external HR strategic consultation services to develop the following:

• Development of a competency model(s),

• Development of competency dictionary,

• Development of HR competency support materials.

Professional services interested must have a proven track record of providing Human Resources Strategic Consultation services to an organization of similar size, experience in unionized environments, and experience in developing a Competency Framework Model and Competency Tools.

Just got push-polled by the TPA. The recording said there were drastic cuts planned, asked if I was aware of them and how concerned I was. Then it fave me a contact number to find out more.

Back