Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I know, right? How dare we intervene on the private sector instead of just letting them have their way!

Naw. We need public involvement, we need government intervention, and we need to tweak developers' (whose major goal is profit above all else) plans to create something that is better for the city.

Can that result in reduced heights and decreased density in proposals like this? Yes. But it's not done without careful study, and it's certainly not some thoughtless "hacking-away" at developers' precious works of perfection, as so many of you like to imagine the process is.

^That straw man is weak. Without the snark, your post is sensible.

Spire's post was sensible, and what is straw man about pointing out the universal fact that the private sector is concerned not with the greater good, but with profit. This - more than anything else, is why we need strong planning controls.

I'm also curious about which of my statements is a "straw man" argument. Anyone who thinks developers have any higher goal than making a profit does not understand the development industry or how capitalism operates.

I am not faulting developers for seeking profit, but rather stating the importance of public/government intervention and oversight in the planning process.

Caltrane posted this on SSP. Don't know the source:

000-torontofutureskyline.png

Fits in rather nicely with the skyline.

Fits in rather nicely with the skyline.

Adds so much jazz to the skyline!
I always wanted something tall on the east of Yonge st. Current there is hardly any and the skyscrapers just vanished to short (not just shorter) buildings very abruptly without any transition. The continuation to lower Jarvis and further is exactly what we need.

Yeah, funny how when city planning does not like something they'll make it look like a monstrosity..lol:D

I wonder if they'll (Toronto City Planning) will be accepting this as proposed. The project doesn't follow the rulebook at all, but residents and traffic engineers seem to have no problem with the height/density and there aren't any shadowing concerns.

I think I combination of the heights of the landowner's preference (the existing proposal) and the planning proposal that extends Harbour Street as being the best solution. It'll create a continous street network rather than the superblocks we have now.

That would be better for the pedestrian, in my opinion.

Back