Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

The proposed Lower Yonge Precinct Plan, an early version of which was presented tonight at Metro Hall, would not permit the Pinnacle plans for 1-7 Yonge to go ahead looking anything like what's proposed, if they are adopted as is.

Last edited:
Okay, our story focusing on ground realm at 1 Yonge is now up on the front page, covering some new details and with new images.

Okay, our story focusing on ground realm at 1 Yonge is now up on the front page, covering some new details and with new images.

I love the new atrium diagonally connecting the northwest corner of the site to the woonerf and the atrium at the south atrium. I recall somebody proposing that idea many pages back in this thread. That could mitigate the cul-de-sac feel we already see at Pinnacle Centre and create a nice flow of pedestrians through the site.

Two days ago you said that this project had a 70% chance of being built. Why the sudden charge of heart?

see, what is happening with all huge proposals like oxford, mirvish and now this one. all are facing problems. this can be rejected, downsized or number of towers can be reduced. :mad:

The proposed Lower Yonge Precinct Plan, an early version of which was presented tonight at Metro Hall, would not permit the Pinnacle plans for 1-7 Yonge to go ahead looking anything like what's proposed, if they are adopted as is.

I think it is safe to say that Pinnacle will be very vigorously objecting to the plans as they are currently proposed, for obvious reasons. Considering the lack of opposition to the 1-7 Yonge project from local stakeholders, I would expect that the plans will eventually be altered to meet most or all of Pinnacle's objections. The big question would be what does the City get in return? Lots of extra cash for neighbourhood improvements is an obvious start.

Yes, exactly. I wouldn't be too concerned with Secondary Plans and Zoning By-Laws because, while they outline one thing, what actually gets built may be quite another. As you can imagine, part of the planning process is an illusion. Once you get up the chain, all the key players involved in negotiations and approvals form a relatively small group of people. It's great that the public and elected officials can speak to the greater-good, and often major concessions are granted because of vocal citizens. In the end, the purchaser pays for all those improvements.

I noticed today that some alterations have already started on the Toronto Star building. Concrete steps have been added to make an new entrance accessible on the SW corner. The old hedgerows on Queen's Quay have also been removed, and new landscaping appears to be taking place.

Thanks K. That's a well thought out plan. I agree with all the street level and podium work (lots of connectivity), as well as the added greenspace. It feels pretty conservative on the towers, but looking at the modeling from the islands, one can see that what the developer proposes is extremely lopsided and overbearing. What the study (the city) proposes feels a little wimpy to me. As always, the answer lies somewhere inbetween.

Last edited:

Back