Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

I second that Ramako! Picasso will be very interesting to see when completed. A nice view wile shopping along Queen with all the new towers along Adelaide (and area). Picasso will help (Fingers Crossed) break up the all glass wall that was starting to happen. Not that thats a bad thing. Very grand building and love how it kinda looks heavy!

It's a shame this building didn't end up being 15-20 storeys higher. 400ft is just a tad small for such a potential standout. 550 to 600ft would suit this one perfect IMO.

It's a shame this building didn't end up being 15-20 storeys higher. 400ft is just a tad small for such a potential standout. 550 to 600ft would suit this one perfect IMO.

Never, 157m/515ft. height limit in the area...same should be said about Theater Park which is 250ft. away from Shangri-La

Last edited:

This building will be a standout at the height it's being constructed at; being taller wouldn't change that.

(Had it been approved at 60 floors, people would wish it had been 70! And so on and so forth.)

Height for the sake of height = senseless.

Height to create a standout, landmark building, is not senseless. The great works of architecture deserve extra height, so they become true landmarks of their districts. In fact, all tall buildings (over 40 floors) should be required to use quality materials and great original architecture.

Considering how much people on this forum complain about all the glass boxes going up in this city, it's a mystery to me how little attention this project has received.

It's so true! I'm thinking that this will be a top project once there is some height and some exterior cladding. So mid-year it will be all the rage on UT :D

Some day time shots to make up for the crappy night ones I took above...

Jan 4

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,654
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,667
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,670
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,638
Last edited:
It will be a landmark just by the fact that it is aligned with the St. George/Beverly view corridor - and landmarks aren't something that necessarily requires height (think 1 Spadina, University College, Old City Hall, New City Hall, etc) - it's all about the context.

AoD

Last edited:
Picasso is definitely one of my favourite building under construction in Toronto.

I would love it if they painted or clad each little box a different colour. It would tie in nicely with the tower playful design, and turn it into a taller version of the Sharp Centre for Art and Design.

Height for the sake of landmarkyness = sensible

Would there be as much excitement for L Tower if it was 39 floors? Or Mirvish/Gehry? Or the CN Tower for that matter?

I agree, but in this case I think the height is fine. The wonderful building will add a lot to the neighbourhood.

My dream is that the architects will choose to paint or clad each of the boxes a different colour, turning the building into a vertical Sharp Centre (OCAD).

I agree, but in this case I think the height is fine. The wonderful building will add a lot to the neighbourhood.

My dream is that the architects will choose to paint or clad each of the boxes a different colour, turning the building into a vertical Sharp Centre (OCAD).

The funny thing about this project is that Picasso never liked the colour red. As long as we like it, right?

Back