Toronto Peter and Adelaide | 152.39m | 47s | Graywood | BBB

This is so depressing to look at. A terrible building that absolutely cheapened out (in both materials and in design) in such a prominent part of the city. There ought to be a law!!

Couldn't disagree more. It's better then 75/80% of the condos out there. Or do you prefer more green glass rectangles by Concord Adex?

Couldn't disagree more. It's better then 75/80% of the condos out there. Or do you prefer more green glass rectangles by Concord Adex?
Neither. Why do I have to like this if I dislike cheap Concord buildings. This makes no sense.

Bad and cheap architecture is bad and cheap regardless of "80% of the condos out there" or Concord. Why make excuses for this building? It does not deserve it.

Neither. Why do I have to like this if I dislike cheap Concord buildings. This makes no sense.

Bad and cheap architecture is bad and cheap regardless of "80% of the condos out there" or Concord. Why make excuses for this building? It does not deserve it.

Nobody is forcing you to like anything, but considering the amount green glass rectangles that are out there, I'm not sure how this building can get so much scrutiny in contrast to sea of other ugly condo's that are currently standing in Toronto.

Nobody is forcing you to like anything, but considering the amount green glass rectangles that are out there, I'm not sure how this building can get so much scrutiny in contrast to sea of other ugly condo's that are currently standing in Toronto.
I know...It's not like the rendering was super amazing or anything. I think it turn out to be more or less like advertised.

Welp...one half of me is saying, "Least it's not all grey and spandrel..." The other half is saying, "If you where to wear that, they would be calling you a clown!" /sigh

I know...It's not like the rendering was super amazing or anything. I think it turn out to be more or less like advertised.

That plus I'm not sure what people are really looking for in the average building. Not every building can be 19 Duncan or The One. Anything that's not a green glass rectangle pretty much will get a pass for me.

There are very strict new Toronto Green Standards coming into effect in May - green glass / window wall clad boxes will no longer be the norm. (These standards are going to dramatically change the way condos in Toronto are designed. A lot less balconies, a lot more punched window rain screen envelopes or curtainwall in place of one contractor assembling the entire envelope of window wall w/ spandrel.)

That said, you are creating one hell of a straw man & false choice if you think that people have to choose between liking "green window wall boxes" or this project. That's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
That plus I'm not sure what people are really looking for in the average building. Not every building can be 19 Duncan or The One. Anything that's not a green glass rectangle pretty much will get a pass for me.
To which 'green glass rectangles' are you referring? Can you list a few?

There are very strict new Toronto Green Standards coming into effect in May - green glass / window wall clad boxes will no longer be the norm. (These standards are going to dramatically change the way condos in Toronto are designed. A lot less balconies, a lot more punched window rain screen envelopes or curtainwall in place of one contractor assembling the entire envelope of window wall w/ spandrel.)

That said, you are creating one hell of a straw man & false choice if you think that people have to choose between liking "green window wall boxes" or this project. That's just ridiculous.
Goodness, I hope this is true. I won't hold my breath till I see that though!

Yeah...it seems to be a weird hill climb up and argue on. >.<

It is true. The rules go into effect for new Site Plan applications as of May 2022. Everyone is gearing up for the fact that the way we’ve been designing residential buildings to date will not measure up to the new standards. It’s no longer just about 60/40 solid/glazing ratios but HOW you insulate, the continuity of thermal breaks, reducing mullions/ frames/joints, the vast reduction of thermal bridging, the use of different mechanical approaches, etc. It would be a great topic for a new deep-dive article by UT because a nuanced understanding of the new rules will give a lot of context for UTers on why the new proposals coming forward in 2022 will start to look a bit less familiar than what’s come before.

That said, while I’m optimistic it will produce some interesting new (climate appropriate) design approaches for Toronto, there’s also a ton of bad architecture that is going to come out of this. It’s a net positive for reducing building energy use and liveability but it’s going to be a big shift in mindset for developers and their consultants because the changes are much more than skin deep.

The problem here is execution: It looks so dated, it's even shocking that the developer wants their name associated with it. You really cannot differentiate this from any building built in the late 1990s/early 2000s, and even by that era's standards, this is just bad. Yes not every building needs to be 19 Duncan or the One - but no building should be this sad and dated monstrosity either.

Saving grace is it going to be surrounded by other towers that despite their own mediocrities, still look better than THIS!

Take your pick of the litter out of this group. Just one of many clusters of these in the DT core.
can
urbantoronto-7406-25342.jpg

Last edited:

Back