Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

Now that Saks and Nordstrom is coming to the area, they could go the high-end chain route. Something like a Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse, Ruth Chris or an Oliver & Bonacini restaurant.

Now that Saks and Nordstrom is coming to the area, they could go the high-end chain route. Something like a Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse, Ruth Chris or an Oliver & Bonacini restaurant.

Pizza, pasta, hamburger.
Yawn.

Why not something like the Black Hoof, or Goo, something other than a big chunk of grilled meat.

Pizza, pasta, hamburger.
Yawn.

Why not something like the Black Hoof, or Goo, something other than a big chunk of grilled meat.

Seriously! Not only is the Torontonian obsession with chain restaurants distressing, it's also the fact that they're mostly lame.
If we're going to have "chains" why not try to attract something more international that you might see in the other world-class cities?

How about more quality vegetarian food?

It's borderline disgusting how I can get better vegetarian food anywhere in the SFBA or Greater London, but so hard to find in Toronto. And Torontonians are supposed to be left-of-centre? Good grief.

Sorry for rant.

Didn't Boston Pizza fail when they were a tenant inside Metropolis? IMO, their appeal here would also be limited, I've always seen them as a suburban chain.

Cheesecake Factory would be nice. Shake Shack would also be very popular at this location, better food and more attractive branding than Five Guys.

Pizza, pasta, hamburger.
Yawn.

Because that's what sells in Toronto. We're not voting on who gets in here. It'll obviously be someone's business decision. But there's a reason why you can get pizza, pasta, hamburger and a big chunk of grilled meat almost everywhere in Toronto. Because that's what most people want.

Interim use for 10 years? It's not so unusual.

It is when you pay $51,000,000 for a piece of land!

Sounds like they grossly miscalculated the strength of the condo market and can afford to take the huge hit. No 2-storey restaurant row is going to begin to even cover costs on a $51,000,000 land purchase for a lot this small.

Last edited:
It is when you pay $51,000,000 for a piece of land!

Sounds like they grossly miscalculated the strength of the condo market and can afford to take the huge hit. No 2-storey restaurant row is going to begin to even cover costs on a $51,000,000 land purchase for a lot this small.

This street is pretty ugly though. Fronting to loading docks? With that said wouldnt mind a cactus club opening up shop!

Because that's what sells in Toronto. We're not voting on who gets in here. It'll obviously be someone's business decision. But there's a reason why you can get pizza, pasta, hamburger and a big chunk of grilled meat almost everywhere in Toronto. Because that's what most people want.

I agree that's probably what most people are comfortable with. They are really not that different from the low risk and boring chain restaurants that we see in Toronto everywhere. I just thought at such a prime location where visitors often come, we might try something a bit more exciting.

We have a milestone, a jack aster, a pickle barrel , Quinn's, Hy's, Ruth's Chris, Keg along with all the generic North American eateries within 5 minutes walk. One more hamburger/steak/salad place really adds little to downtown Toronto's restaurant scene.

Plus, you might underestimate Torontonians' appetite for adventure. Recently 3 ramen places opened with 3-5 minutes from Dundas Square and they are packed most of the time, often with long queues. A lot of visitors, workers and students nearby are not from North America and they probably desire something a bit different from Swiss Chalet and Apple Bee.

Didn't Boston Pizza fail when they were a tenant inside Metropolis? IMO, their appeal here would also be limited, I've always seen them as a suburban chain.

Don't tell that to other suburban corporate chains like Jack Astor's (four downtown locations), Milestone's (two), Casey's (which started out as a regional, Northeast Ontario chain), or East Side Mario's.

Well - one Casey's will be going with the Dundas Square Gardens development

I agree that's probably what most people are comfortable with. They are really not that different from the low risk and boring chain restaurants that we see in Toronto everywhere. I just thought at such a prime location where visitors often come, we might try something a bit more exciting.

We have a milestone, a jack aster, a pickle barrel , Quinn's, Hy's, Ruth's Chris, Keg along with all the generic North American eateries within 5 minutes walk. One more hamburger/steak/salad place really adds little to downtown Toronto's restaurant scene.

Plus, you might underestimate Torontonians' appetite for adventure. Recently 3 ramen places opened with 3-5 minutes from Dundas Square and they are packed most of the time, often with long queues. A lot of visitors, workers and students nearby are not from North America and they probably desire something a bit different from Swiss Chalet and Apple Bee.

There are tons of chain restaurants in Time Square as well.. Its not my thing but I dont have a problem with it either.

Seriously! Not only is the Torontonian obsession with chain restaurants distressing, it's also the fact that they're mostly lame.
If we're going to have "chains" why not try to attract something more international that you might see in the other world-class cities?

How about more quality vegetarian food?

It's borderline disgusting how I can get better vegetarian food anywhere in the SFBA or Greater London, but so hard to find in Toronto. And Torontonians are supposed to be left-of-centre? Good grief.

Sorry for rant.

There are tons of good vegetarian (and vegan) restaurants in Toronto.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/canada/ontario/toronto/

Back