Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

Yay another Moxie's, Milestones, Turtle Jack's, Kelsey's and Montana's!

no more burger, salad, pasta and steak places, please!
Hopefully something more interesting, Portugese? Spanish? Brazilian? Chinese (with Markham quality, not Spadina, there is really no good Chinese restaurant downtown)?

I hope it will be more 2 stories. 4 is more appropriate for the location, but I am glad it is not another 40s glass condo.

Sure but think about it for a minute ... condos would have no issues selling in this location ... I'm sure they'd sell out rather quickly ... in other words it makes no sense to do this in intern unless there are no plans to build condos (or the like) for a long time ..

I hope that if they're serious about turning this into a restaurant row they'll actually design it at a scale befitting a two-lane, urban street (a la Elm, Baldwin, or King West @ John), and not the scale of a suburban outlet mall.

It's really not that 'charming' a side street though, really. If there's a market for large suburban American eateries in the core, well why not here? It's not like Toronto is lacking for smaller local restaurants.

The suburban-strip-mall style tacked-on signage tower/billboard feature is disturbing to me. Otherwise I think it will be an improvement to the street, due to the multiplicity of frontages as opposed to the one, long, unbroken (and unprogrammed) frontage currently taking up that length of Edward Street.

Sure but think about it for a minute ... condos would have no issues selling in this location ... I'm sure they'd sell out rather quickly ... in other words it makes no sense to do this in intern unless there are no plans to build condos (or the like) for a long time ..

Sure, but it may not take 15 years before we see a redevelopment proposal. It could be only 10 or even 5 years.

It's really not that 'charming' a side street though, really. If there's a market for large suburban American eateries in the core, well why not here? It's not like Toronto is lacking for smaller local restaurants.

I completely agree ... Toronto is full of interesting non-chain restaurants, which I personally prefer over the majority of chains !

But what I love about Toronto is that it does (and should) cater to all desires ... moreover if there's any location that will do the least damage to existing (mom and pop) restaurants, this is it !

So while I'll likely never visit, other will and that's OK.

The Star report actually suggested Joey's as if it were anything remotely interesting? I mean, a "restaurant" selling overpriced Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Mexico American, Steak nothing of which is really authentic (with the exception of American probably)? Every time I walk pass the Joeys at Eaton Centre, I laugh inside at those who are chewing their $14 bland burger pretending it is a cool place.

I'd rather have a Popeyes than Joey's. At least it is of better value. Milestone is even worse.

You expect them to go with a risky new restaurant concept that has a high chance of failure in the first few months? Ha!

The Star report actually suggested Joey's as if it were anything remotely interesting? I mean, a "restaurant" selling overpriced Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Mexico American, Steak nothing of which is really authentic (with the exception of American probably)? Every time I walk pass the Joeys at Eaton Centre, I laugh inside at those who are chewing their $14 bland burger pretending it is a cool place.

I'd rather have a Popeyes than Joey's. At least it is of better value. Milestone is even worse.

Authenticity isn't very relevant anymore when you travel and realize nobody wants to eat the authentic regional foods you had wanted to try for years.

Sometimes, if you live downtown, you just want to have a drink/meal after work without having to endure a trek on the streetcar during rush hour. Unfortunately, the aforementioned restaurant has been on my black list for a long time due to a rather unpleasant night following a dinner there. They no longer post nutritional information on their website - believe me, ignorance is bliss.

Milestone is harmless by comparison, and Popeye serves halal chicken, which I avoid.

Isn't Joey a "modelling agency" which happens to serve food and drinks, like Moxie's? I only went once, but I quickly noticed that the wait staff were all young, slim, and pretty-looking women, without exception. I wasn't surprised to find the food was bland and unremarkable. It's a bit odd because they seem to market themselves as a restaurant first and foremost, but once I got there it seemed obvious to me that what they were serving wasn't the main attraction.

Back