Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

As the south side is also going to be renovated to improve the streetscape I think that we could end up with a very metropolitan space; I especially like the further development of roof patios. Eataly would be a dream tenant in obviously more than 4,000 square feet but a branch of the amazing seafood places that they have on either coasts would be welcome.

I wouldn't mind seeing Edward St. closed at Yonge and turning at least part of the street into a pedestrian mall.

Loading docks and servicing for The Atrium on Bay are located along Edward, with access to the condominium tower off Edward Street near Bay. Lots of vehicles coming and going, unfortunately.

Sure, but it may not take 15 years before we see a redevelopment proposal. It could be only 10 or even 5 years.

Lifetime may be thinking bigger picture - perhaps waiting to see what densities are allowed along Yonge (I believe there is the Downtown Yonge Street street survey is ongoing). They may be looking at consolidating other properties (I don't know). This allows them to bring in revenue while figuring out what to do. Basically - we're getting a fancy parking lot. Brookfield did this with Bay Adelaide. There will be demo clauses in those leases for sure.

Lifetime may be thinking bigger picture - perhaps waiting to see what densities are allowed along Yonge (I believe there is the Downtown Yonge Street street survey is ongoing). They may be looking at consolidating other properties (I don't know). This allows them to bring in revenue while figuring out what to do. Basically - we're getting a fancy parking lot. Brookfield did this with Bay Adelaide. There will be demo clauses in those leases for sure.

Agreed. I could see this being the site of a massive redevelopment down the line including residential, hotel, commercial and office components. It's close to the subway, right off Yonge & Dundas Square and within walking distance of two major universities. I wouldn't be shocked to see a supertall eventually proposed for this site.

do people really think Mandarin is a Chinese restaurant?
Mandarin is as Chinese as Pizza Hut is Italian.

It's all about supply and demand. That's why the more authentic Chinese restaurants are in Markham and not downtown.

I have ate at P.F. Chang's. it wasn't great, but it was still better some of the dives in Chinatown.

Last edited:
It's all about supply and demand. That's why the more authentic Chinese restaurants are in Markham and not downtown.

I have ate at P.F. Chang's. it wasn't great, but it was still better some of the dives in Chinatown.

Disagree ... most Chinatown restaurants that serve white Chinese food (which is a food type ..) were better and much cheaper ..

With that said P.F Chang's isn't bad for this category !! I put it in the average category for this type of good ... what I absolutely hate about it is the price, its nearly double what I'd pay at what I consider the best restaurants in this category (and there are so many to chose from ... all over toronto and the 905 ..).

It's really not that 'charming' a side street though, really. If there's a market for large suburban American eateries in the core, well why not here? It's not like Toronto is lacking for smaller local restaurants.

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. I wasn't arguing against suburban chains moving into this street (as opposed to small local restaurants). I was referring more to the streetscape design and signage. A lot of these suburban retailers move downtown and don't bother to modify their design and signage for mostly pedestrian clientele (e.g. Canadian Tire at Bay/Dundas). They have these huge signs that are above eye level and nothing engaging at street level. One of the appeals of restaurant rows is that they add a lot of life to the street. Jack Astors on John st. does a great job a "taming" a suburban chain for the urban setting.

Disagree ... most Chinatown restaurants that serve white Chinese food (which is a food type ..) were better and much cheaper ..

With that said P.F Chang's isn't bad for this category !! I put it in the average category for this type of good ... what I absolutely hate about it is the price, its nearly double what I'd pay at what I consider the best restaurants in this category (and there are so many to chose from ... all over toronto and the 905 ..).

I love authentic Chinese food, but I grew up enjoying Canadian "Chinese" food and even now, it's an occasional guilty pleasure. Mandarin does have some dishes that are closer to authentic Chinese food than most Chinese-Canadian restaurants, but it is what it is.

I am sure Boston Pizza is looking for a location in the central downtown area. It would fit in in this big-box corporate cuisine row that we're expecting.

Lifetime has a bunch of properties to develop. They are not massive (not compared to Brookfield) so they may not be able to develop all at once. But at the same time they jumped on this property when they could. Generate rent while working the other projects. They have four projects now under construction so there will be a bunch of money coming their way in the next two years.

Back