Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

I just noticed the coloured lights tonight from my living room. I looks really good! Thanks for the pics. I need to walk over that way soon to see what's going on in the neighbourhood ;)

Looks like they are still testing the lights - there was another pattern being tested this morning that was truer to the render

C5t4XRy.jpg

Full version here - http://i.imgur.com/Zwcva0K.jpg

Here's the lighting pattern they were testing last night

CP28UMu.jpg

Final update on the lights (I swear) - although my crappy cell phone picture really doesn't do them justice.

The latest lighting pattern tonight and that which is truest to the render

1UJXB31.jpg

Hopefully, the lighting and roof feature will be maintained over the decades. Too many buildings throughout Toronto's history have had architectural features on the roofs removed to save on maintenance costs.

Hopefully, the lighting and roof feature will be maintained over the decades. Too many buildings throughout Toronto's history have had architectural features on the roofs removed to save on maintenance costs.

Commerce Court North and Simpson Tower, just to name a couple.

Gotta at least hand it to Daniels, they are trying to make their buildings unique. Seems they are not sacrificing quality, the building quality seems to be very up to par with their higher profile buildings (Cinema and Festival Tower) that cost a lot more. Kudos.

The feature is now oscillating these fantastic colours, like a Gerhardt Richter piece springing to life.

Decided to go for a little walk around the area today. My god, how the area has changed. This neighborhood has a really bright future ahead of it. Really seems like they are bridging the gap between social housing and condos into one community. The development along Dundas St East will hopefully expand westwards towards Yonge in the next ten years!

The park is also looking great. I see huge potential. Seems like a large lot that will have lots of greenspace!

Agreed! Daniel's really has done a great job here and they have a lot to be proud of, as far as developers go. I hope the same for Tridel's Alexandra Park (SQ project). Stick with the top-rated developers and you will be in good hands.

I've been looking around, and the redevelopment seems to be PURELY residental as it was before. Is this the case, or have I just not looked hard enough? Without giving people who don't live there a reason to go to the area, the area COULD fall into the same problems as it did before (ie. strangers on the street make a street safer). Just curious if I have been blind and missed a whole bunch of non-residental spaces.

I've been looking around, and the redevelopment seems to be PURELY residental as it was before. Is this the case, or have I just not looked hard enough? Without giving people who don't live there a reason to go to the area, the area COULD fall into the same problems as it did before (ie. strangers on the street make a street safer). Just curious if I have been blind and missed a whole bunch of non-residental spaces.

The FreshCo comes to mind, another cheap place for me to get groceries.

But in the grand scheme of things overall, connecting the streets back to the city grid was most important and beneficial. Before no passerby would even walk through this neighborhood to get to point A to point B, and have to carefully plan out their walking trip. Now, I feel much safer walking down Dundas East than a few years ago. With the new Daniels condos, the community housing buildings, the community centre, and the Regent Park pool now open, it's a lot more developed than the old crumbling buildings that were there before.

There's a lot more commercial coming to the area along Dundas - the street level of One Park Place will be all retail, for example - while buildings like the Daniels Spectrum contain commercial office space on Artscape's business incubator floor, as well as workplaces for those employed by the various arts organizations located on the other two floors.

Back