Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

What I'm trying to get at is that while the architect is the same, we have different developers involved, and that the developer has a lot to do with the exterior too. How much they interfere (more nicely said: how much they drive the design), how much exteriors can change owing to budgets, we will most likely never know with any particular project. Don't discount the hand of the developer in the final look of the building.

How is it that government housing has better materials/design, than an upscale, downtown condo? That makes no sense at all.

That's really just perception. If 300 Front was a TCHC building, some forum members would flip-flop and then think it's stellar. 300 is built to last and it will look the same 30 years from now being well-managed and maintained.

I agree that the spandrel looks quite nice on this building. Thankfully, some of the units have balconies here. I understand why some TCHC buildings don't have balconies, but I would find it very difficult to live in a place without an outdoor space.

That's really just perception. If 300 Front was a TCHC building, some forum members would flip-flop and then think it's stellar. 300 is built to last and it will look the same 30 years from now being well-managed and maintained.

Got some weird vibes toward public housing or...?

Thankfully, some of the units have balconies here. I understand why some TCHC buildings don't have balconies, but I would find it very difficult to live in a place without an outdoor space.

On the other hand, some of us think balconies are a total waste of space in a climate like Toronto's (esp. when some are so tiny that they barely hold - small - chair!)

On the other hand, some of us think balconies are a total waste of space in a climate like Toronto's (esp. when some are so tiny that they barely hold - small - chair!)

Some people do think that way, like developers who don't like the extra cost of constructing the balconies. I don't think this way. There's nothing like being able to even step outside your unit. There will always be a market for units with outdoor spaces, however small; while at the same time developers will build units for those like you who think balconies are a total waste of space. Different stokes for different folks.

So here's a rendering of the newest building that's underway

Zpte2Mf.jpg

Any idea who the architecturists behind that are?

No idea - trying to find out - I found a rendering of the front of the building - the address is 180 Sackville Street

Pu5JGYu.jpg

Earthwork has resumed at the site of the new community centre at Sackville and Shuter - after 4 months of inactivity

RQgrRE3.jpg

180 Sackville building moving along quickly

St1SeTs.jpg

Newer render of the new Community Centre

pAesfmM.jpg

Work progressing at the Centre Park

bvXANGx.jpg

Are you talking about the coloured lights on the roof of Lightbox? I have never seen those turned on. I hope they follow through with that.

Yes, those lights. Anyone?

The lights are being installed at the minute according to the concierge who I spoke with this morning - there was an issue with the old lights and they had to be replaces

I was by Regent Park today and the workers were working hard on the new central park. It's not even half way done but I think this park is going to be a winner. I'm seeing a number of things I really like.

First of all, this park is going to have a public square type focal point, right on Dundas Street, at the entrance. On the north side is steps and along the east and west sides, it will be lined with a ledge/wall that will be perfect to sit on. I think it will be a great space for entertainment and public gatherings. For those who love their trees, it will have that too, in planters.

On the north side of the park, I love the seating areas, along with the planter ledges. I'm always asking for parks that give us clusters of seating, where groups of people can cluster and inter-act. This part of the park gives lots of areas to sit and inter-act.

Last but not least, the kids will love the playgrounds. It has all kinds of structures I've never seen in parks before, along with a number of swings, slides and animated equipment. It's the best play equipment I've seen in any park in Toronto and I'm sure the kids will love it.

Regent Park is getting a bit brighter from tonight on.

Half the lights at the top of Paintbox are working now

Goes through a cycle of 4 colours - white to red to green to blue

dibFuy0.gif

Back