Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

There was no 'indoor waterpark' or spa before. Just to be clear on that. There were outdoor waterslides, bumper boats, a kids waterplay/splashpad.

Those took up a whole lot less room and were not on the west island either.

I can't agree to that at all.
I didn't say "indoor water park", I said "water park". But if you put that together with "all-season", one should be able to see how the Therme proposal checked off two boxes in the minds of whichever committee made the decision. And yes, I'm well aware there were various different water-related activities spread across OP, but the log flume ride was on the west island and the bumper boats were too (or at least the west-most side of the central portion as I'm not 100% sure where the dividing line is). Is it really so bad that they decided to concentrate all the water stuff in one area more-or-less and allow other areas to be used for other purposes? Would it not be more costly to heat multiple areas in winter in order to make the water features all-season, therefore logical to consider grouping them together?

thats because its been fenced off and inaccessible for the last 7 years. I could make an argument that Ontario Place's west island is less accessible than what it would be in the future with this plan
But if people really want to see sure ill take pictures of the dilapidated areas and post them.
Actually, the West Island *hasn't* been fenced off and inaccessible for the past 7 years--indeed, unless things have changed *very* recently thanks to preliminary Therme work, one could stroll right through and around the corpse of the flume ride right into the pandemic-walk era.

If it were so "fenced off and inaccessible", then Alex wouldn't be able to take those photos--nor would you be able to take the photos you're promising, unless you have some kind of "inside track".

And frankly, you're not going to convince the naysayers by posting the "dilapidated areas" in the spirit of "See? Look at this! Look at this!"

Actually, the West Island *hasn't* been fenced off and inaccessible for the past 7 years--indeed, unless things have changed *very* recently thanks to preliminary Therme work, one could stroll right through and around the corpse of the flume ride right into the pandemic-walk era.

If it were so "fenced off and inaccessible", then Alex wouldn't be able to take those photos--nor would you be able to take the photos you're promising, unless you have some kind of "inside track".

And frankly, you're not going to convince the naysayers by posting the "dilapidated areas" in the spirit of "See? Look at this! Look at this!"
No one said the entire west island was fenced off but the area where the flume ride used to be was fenced off at one point with signs warning of the danger. If those fences have come down or were never particularly properly connected, I'm not surprised, but there are definitely areas of the west island where people are/were not supposed to be freely walking within the last 7 years.

No one said the entire west island was fenced off but the area where the flume ride used to be was fenced off at one point with signs warning of the danger. If those fences have come down or were never particularly properly connected, I'm not surprised, but there are definitely areas of the west island where people are/were not supposed to be freely walking within the last 7 years.
Still, (irregularly) off limits or not, it's a relatively minimal part of the West Island.

And besides, if you want photos of Ontario Place dilapidation--checkmate.

And checkmate compounded. Seek out the book.

Steven Evans to generalcanada: "hold my beer".

Still, (irregularly) off limits or not, it's a relatively minimal part of the West Island.

And besides, if you want photos of Ontario Place dilapidation--checkmate.

And checkmate compounded. Seek out the book.

Steven Evans to generalcanada: "hold my beer".
And it will be a relatively small area where the public won't have access once Therme is built considering people will have access up & over the paid-only area. Nice photos.

Apparently a comprehensive resubmission from the Province has now been sent in to the City.

I don't see the updated files in the AIC yet.

The resubmission appears to cover the entire site, based on the provincial press release:

The press release from the above, is found below, in its entirety.

1694703769520.png

1694703824407.png

Apparently a comprehensive resubmission from the Province has now been sent in to the City.

I don't see the updated files in the AIC yet.

The resubmission appears to cover the entire site, based on the provincial press release:

The press release from the above, is found below, in its entirety.

View attachment 506290
View attachment 506291
" For every tree removed...approximately twice as many trees that are native to the area will later be planted.." How big are the trees to be planted and how much later will the planting be ? Call me a sceptic, but the devil is always in the details - the city is acquainted with value engineering.

" For every tree removed...approximately twice as many trees that are native to the area will later be planted.." How big are the trees to be planted and how much later will the planting be ? Call me a sceptic, but the devil is always in the details - the city is acquainted with value engineering.

1) The standard replacement rate for mature trees in Toronto is 3 for 1; this is partially to offset the much smaller size and also to allow for some of the replacements dying.

2) Replacement size unless otherwise specified would be assumed to be caliper; variable by species, but generally in the range of 10-13ft tall. Larger trees are at greater risk of dying when moved and are much more complicated and expensive to move.

1) The standard replacement rate for mature trees in Toronto is 3 for 1; this is partially to offset the much smaller size and also to allow for some of the replacements dying.

2) Replacement size unless otherwise specified would be assumed to be caliper; variable by species, but generally in the range of 10-13ft tall. Larger trees are at greater risk of dying when moved and are much more complicated and expensive to move.
Thank you for the information, as always Northern Light. I can't help being " born in Missouri".

That puffy announcement also confirms they have essentially abandoned any significant transportation link between Exhibition Station and OP. Doug Ford will drive up in his Escalade, cut the ribbon on the sidewalk, and that's it. Hence the huge garage.

That puffy announcement also confirms they have essentially abandoned any significant transportation link between Exhibition Station and OP. Doug Ford will drive up in his Escalade, cut the ribbon on the sidewalk, and that's it. Hence the huge garage.

Maybe someone else can find the clip but I seem to recall that at one of thre press conferences, El Prremier talked fondly about how, like so many of us, he has fond memories of pulling up to Ontario Place in the family boat.

So I don't think it's fair to assume he'll definitely be driving up in an Escalade.

I don't think a hyperloop is out of the question. Or failing that, some kind of uni-rail.

Back