Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

That puffy announcement also confirms they have essentially abandoned any significant transportation link between Exhibition Station and OP. Doug Ford will drive up in his Escalade, cut the ribbon on the sidewalk, and that's it. Hence the huge garage.

Maybe someone else can find the clip but I seem to recall that at one of thre press conferences, El Prremier talked fondly about how, like so many of us, he has fond memories of pulling up to Ontario Place in the family boat.

So I don't think it's fair to assume he'll definitely be driving up in an Escalade.

That puffy announcement also confirms they have essentially abandoned any significant transportation link between Exhibition Station and OP. Doug Ford will drive up in his Escalade, cut the ribbon on the sidewalk, and that's it. Hence the huge garage.
I don't think a hyperloop is out of the question. Or failing that, some kind of uni-rail.

New docs are up. All of the renderings and perspective views are deliberately vague, but it is clear that this thing is still a beast.

59C07BAF-562E-4BBF-A384-21AB1C477F8C.jpeg

7A145508-B537-4167-886D-DEE5BFCC6F70.jpeg
3B8FC8C2-63FE-4529-ACB1-5F864525D366.jpeg

And it’s possible to compare the new building to the existing island. They match very closely.

1AA8CC3F-642B-4668-A067-C06BEDD8DA93.jpeg6F439D51-FE05-4DE8-8953-E1FB57CF5320.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D8ECCB3-3FAC-4B9F-9180-18EF6B7D543C.png
    1D8ECCB3-3FAC-4B9F-9180-18EF6B7D543C.png
    1 MB · Views: 64
All comments on pt.3 of the new slides
  • Transit signal priority is recommended along Lake Shore Blvd to improve reliability
LOL good luck lobbying for that

They are reporting 1’270 existing and 1’254 additional parking spaces to be created (2’524 total). If they’re predicting a transportation mode share of 10% auto and 14’000 peak weekend daily guests (keep in mind not all simultaneous) then they need to reduce their proposed parking even further because these numbers seriously don’t add up.

IMG_8656.jpeg

Also these pods are looking rough. Rendering in grayscale doesn’t help but I don’t think any colour would make it much better.

Also have they proposed a construction timeline? Let’s say by some miracle (or nightmare) they break ground in 2025, when would we see this thing opening?

from the updated transit study on the development portal

while the parking supply is proposed todouble from existing conditions, the proposed parking structure is designed to accommodate the 10% of visitors arriving at the site by car during the peak periods while the remaining visitors arriveby sustainable modes of travel. Based on a projected maximum peak accumulation of 28,990 visitors, parking for the redevelopment is provided at a rate of 0.09 spaces per person.

explainer on why exhibition cant be used

LEA Response: There are no formal agreements with Exhibition Place. It is noted that ExhibitionPlace is in the process of preparing a site-wide master plan which would result in the removal ofparking spaces on the Exhibition lands. The feasibility of providing/maintaining future sharedparking arrangements with Exhibition Place was not explored given limited information on thenumber of future permanent and/or available parking spaces for Ontario Place patrons on theExhibition lands. As such, it was determined that parking would not be shared between OntarioPlace and Exhibition Place.

Sounds like the province has given the city till end of 2023 to either give an approval or most likely a denial

as for me, on principle i like the green roof/walking paths. not sure if i like them....meandering. no real reason for that, just keep them straight IMO

They are reporting 1’270 existing and 1’254 additional parking spaces to be created (2’524 total). If they’re predicting a transportation mode share of 10% auto and 14’000 peak weekend daily guests (keep in mind not all simultaneous) then they need to reduce their proposed parking even further because these numbers seriously don’t add up.
thats cause these numbers you have don't.

the total attendance between OSC, Therme, and Livenation is 28,990. Thermes predicted people per day at max occupancy is 5500 on weekends. Modal share for cars is 58%. assuming 2.5 people per car thats 1276 spaces for Therme use

Livenation itself is a flat 20k with modal share of 20% for vehicles comes out to 4000. and again use the 2.5 people per vehicle, their demand is 1600

OSC and "passive uses" are evaluated at 600
They also assume not every attraction will have 100% capacity (theres data to back this up) at the same time so shrink the total of 3500 by almost 50%.

voila required spaces is 2500.
Previously they wanted 2700 because they felt they needed it, this is more in line with reasonable expectations. They emphasize "demand is 103% of supply" in this
Should be noted that outside of livenation concert hours 7-10pm the max parking demand is like 1800
Questions can be raised about "passive uses" though apperently requesting 250 parking spaces on weekends

Im trying to find out where "appendix E" which apperently describes Thermes internal calculation on modal share to ontario place

thats cause these numbers you have don't.

the total attendance between OSC, Therme, and Livenation is 28,990. Thermes predicted people per day at max occupancy is 5500 on weekends. Modal share for cars is 58%. assuming 2.5 people per car thats 1276 spaces for Therme use

Livenation itself is a flat 20k with modal share of 20% for vehicles comes out to 4000. and again use the 2.5 people per vehicle, their demand is 1600

OSC and "passive uses" are evaluated at 600
They also assume not every attraction will have 100% capacity (theres data to back this up) at the same time so shrink the total of 3500 by almost 50%.

voila required spaces is 2500.
Previously they wanted 2700 because they felt they needed it, this is more in line with reasonable expectations. They emphasize "demand is 103% of supply" in this
Should be noted that outside of livenation concert hours 7-10pm the max parking demand is like 1800
Questions can be raised about "passive uses" though apperently requesting 250 parking spaces on weekends

Im trying to find out where "appendix E" which apperently describes Thermes internal calculation on modal share to ontario place

We know my thoughts on Therme so I wont' repeat them.

I will say, I don't accept the conclusion that any use here with a 58% modal share for cars is acceptable. That's a complete non-starter no matter what the proposed use is, any proponent, any idea, with a GO Station and an Ontario line Station less than 1km away, and a last mile solution perfectly feasible...........uh uh.

If you can't make the modelling better, then your proposed use is inappropriate.

Second thought here, I don't like the Live Nation proposal either, I miss 'The Forum'; I would mind something larger than the old Forum which was a bit dated too; but to me concerts in 20,000+ seat venues are meh.

I get that some people like'em; some people like McDonalds too, no accounting for taste.

I want to be able to see and identify the performer(s) on the stage w/o a screen or binoculars.

I'm going to post an up to date AIC link here:

I will weed through everything tonight and post, if others have not.............I will note, this might take me a moment...........24 landscape plan files alone............that must be a record.

... I don't like the Live Nation proposal either, I miss 'The Forum'; I would mind something larger than the old Forum which was a bit dated too; but to me concerts in 20,000+ seat venues are meh.

I get that some people like'em; some people like McDonalds too, no accounting for taste...
I did see this guy there about five years ago, along with once seeing him in line at a FreshCo as I mentioned in another thread.
I still wonder if Live Nation may be waiting for the OverActive Media proposal to finally be declared dead, so they can do something on that side of the road instead of at OP.

Last edited:
I did see this guy there about five years ago, along with once seeing him in line at a FreshCo as I mentioned in another thread.

I do get that that its comedy, but I disagree with him.

I don't read 'US Weekly'; I never watched 'Glee'; I don't have a 'McDonalds' variation in my life, in food or otherwise.

I like quality.

That doesn't necessarily mean pricey or over-the-top; South St. Burger is fine, so is Burger's Priest.........

McDonald's fries are actually fine, but not worth the bother, generally. Besides, I make much better......

Yukon Gold Potato, sliced in julienne/shoe-string cut, double-deep fried to extra crispy, then tossed in a bowl w/fresh thyme, a smidge of home-made garlic butter, just a dusting of freshly grated parm, some salt, a few drops of malt vinegar for that je ne sais quoi, and voila, great frites!

I still wonder if Live Nation may be waiting for the OverActive Media proposal to finally be declared dead, so they can do something on that side of the road instead of at OP.

Interesting thought.

Reactions: PL1
Looking at this dump of new docs - is it safe to assume BDPQ are doing the "Science Centre Pavillion" building?

Back