Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

What better place in the world to celebrate and educate about a primary natural resource, water , than in Ontario and Toronto right on the shores of a sweet water " ocean ".
A post secondary institution affiliated with a Toronto university and college could serve a variety of purposes from cultural/historical entertainments to environmental research to employment - The Centre for Waterfront Studies. There is nothing " niche " about this. However, this is musing, as I have no idea what commitments have been made as to the overall concept uses of the lands and buildings in question. A big idea for this place has a little more attraction for me at least, than a bunch of little ones.

Old Boy is on the right track - water is a global issue and an on-site, on-line World Water Museum and related entertainment, educational, research and development uses with the surrounding aquatic environment make Ontario Place a natural site for this, probably with little cost in adjusting the existing Sphere and pods. This is hardly a "niche" proposal! Question is: is Ontario Place an available low cost site for it? I have contacted them. Stand by.

Old Boy is on the right track - water is a global issue and an on-site, on-line World Water Museum and related entertainment, educational, research and development uses with the surrounding aquatic environment make Ontario Place a natural site for this, probably with little cost in adjusting the existing Sphere and pods. This is hardly a "niche" proposal! Question is: is Ontario Place an available low cost site for it? I have contacted them. Stand by.

The issue isn't whether this is a bad idea in and on its' own - it isn't, but whether it is a draw. @ShonTron has it right - it has more synergy with the Science Centre (or Evergreen) than as a standalone facility taking up the heritage structures.

AoD

The issue isn't whether this is a bad idea in and on its' own - it isn't, but whether it is a draw. @ShonTron has it right - it has more synergy with the Science Centre (or Evergreen) than as a standalone facility taking up the heritage structures.

AoD

And it's easy to forget that the Science Centre is built into a ravine - plenty to do with water there as well.

I don't think many would see an inland location as Toronto's best site for a World Water Museum. Also - go back to re-read the original concept posted above - this is NOT viable as a piece of another local attraction - it is far more substantial.

What sort of features/ attractions would a world water museum consist of?
Well, again go back to the original article, above. They are a world water status hall (latest samples showing comparative water quality and supply around the world), A Water in Life Hall (collections and ceremonies based on human uses including symbolic uses of water) , a Water Gaming Hall, where visitors can play at various skill levels global and local water policy issue games, and the Offices of a World Water Keeper (appointed by the association of water keepers, including the Lake Ontario water keeper.)

ya... I dunno if that will keep people's attention for very long, to keep something like that open long term you would need some serious attractions, and a lot of government subsidizing. Strong educational programming.
I'd be into seeing nautical stuff like artifacts recovered from ship wrecks, ships even. Major exhibitions and shows about subjects like that.
But seriously, I know a lot of people who work in museums and galleries around the city and I can't be too optimistic about this. It's a struggle to keep our existing facilities and programs functioning successfully.

Would moving the Science Centre to Ontario Place make it a more attractive place for people to visit?

No, it would be like who is losing useable water fastest and who in the world is going to run out of useable water first! And what coastlines and other water bodies and low lying areas will overspill first from climate warming, plus water artifacts in the middle pavilion (that's the more conventional museum experience you seem to be focusing on as not having much draw) and a developing on-site and on-line world game modelling one of the world's key policy issues in the third.

You do raise another understandable and sensitive point (I wonder if that's behind some other dismissive responses). I think good economic and social ideas do not simply detract from others. It's not zero-sum.

I think the other attractions and museums in Toronto would all gain from yet another big one attracting attendance and tourism. The other related attractions - Ontario Science Centre, Harbourfront - could certainly be part of the World Water Museum partnership and feed into it and from it.

Lots to discuss.

The Ontario science centre is not doing well they have closed down sections of it just to save money. Everything is outdated.
I do completely agree that more attractions fuel existing attractions though.

The Ontario science centre is not doing well they have closed down sections of it just to save money. Everything is outdated.

This is very sad. It was a key part of my science education as a young person. I hope that after 4 years of brutal construction which inhibits access, that the Science Centre is still around. I used Museum Station many times to visit the ROM and I hope that many generations of kids and families use Science Centre Station to easily get to the Science Centre in the future.

I am sure it won't disappear but they need updates or better programming. That is why they have had weird shows like history of rock and roll and Harry Potter. And actually earlier in the year they did a sailor moon themed vendor event. So they are clearly trying. I'm sure they will find a way. I love going there in the fall. The building is quite lovely and has some great ravine views.

Did they? They went through a refresh a decade ago and I don't recall any sections that were closed off and not replaced.

In any case, I know their audience are kids, but keep on dumbing things down isn't the solution.

AoD

Back