Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

The Molson Amphitheatre is now the Budweiser Stage, and not everyone is happy about it
Live Nation and Budweiser ink national partnership to revitalize venue
Our partnership marks the beginning of great things to come for music fans from coast to coast," said Todd Allen, vice-president, marketing, Labatt Breweries of Canada, in a press release.

"We're also thrilled that the iconic venue for musicians at Ontario Place will carry the name Budweiser Stage, and that music fans will now be able to enjoy Canada's most popular beer at the country's premier music venue."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/molson-amphitheatre-to-budweiser-stage-1.3923879

Toronto’s Molson Amphitheatre to change name to Budweiser Stage
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ange-name-to-budweiser-stage/article33523647/

What better place in the world to celebrate and educate about a primary natural resource, water , than in Ontario and Toronto right on the shores of a sweet water " ocean ".

That sounds like an attraction with a yearly attendance of 5. If your intent is reuse the structures in a way that will draw people in, a niche museum probably isn't the way to do it.

AoD

I'm not fussed about the name, I'm just saddened that Budweiser is apparently Canada's most popular beer. There's no accounting for taste, or the lack thereof.

Marketing. It used to be Labatt Blue, but AB-InBev (owners of Labatt's, Stella Artois, Budweiser and dozens of brands world-wide) has been pushing Budweiser in Canada for years now.

The new OHL arena in Downtown London used to be called the John Labatt Centre and is now called Budweiser Gardens. Blue is harder and harder to find, as it's been pushed aside by American brands. "Craft" beer at many bars are products of AB InBev, such as Goose Island and Mill Street. You go to Skydome, and it's Budweiser pushed at you. Same with the Beer Store.

(An aside: I prefer Bud to Blue or even Molson Canadian. Not that it's saying much.)

I'm into real craft beers, but I don't have one favourite craft beer. I reach for something new, or something I really liked before. But not one craft beer will ever crack the top five because of marketing and habits. (I have about a dozen favourite Ontario beers, though Lug Tread is my go-to for something simple and good.)

AoD, I'm not proposing a " niche museum " at all. I think elad summarized the potentials rather well a few posts back. If we're serious about thinking big a la decking over the rails, why can't the city embrace a waterfront global centre for the appreciation and study of water resources in a vibrant urban setting . Toronto envisions itself as a creative world city after all. And Ontario is still betting on a sustainable future as far as I know.

What better place in the world to celebrate and educate about a primary natural resource, water , than in Ontario and Toronto right on the shores of a sweet water " ocean ".

We have other locations with access to water that are better connected to the city than Ontario Place. For a niche museum, a location that is much more accessible will help draw in extra visitors, making it more likely to succeed. Queens Quay for example, would provide such a space with walk-in traffic and the potential of being accidentally discovered. Ontario Place, will be hidden and out of the way for most visitors.

I'm into real craft beers, but I don't have one favourite craft beer. I reach for something new, or something I really liked before. But not one craft beer will ever crack the top five because of marketing and habits.

Agreed. I'm really enjoying what Blood Brothers, Halo and Burdock are up to. (I'm spoiled, living in the middle of what's turned into the Craft Beer District)

Back to the topic at hand... I'm still stumping for my scheme to turn the pods into musems/galleries highlighting Toronto/Ontario/Canadian Modernism. DX and the ROM could have annexes. Of course, that's barely less niche than old boy's water museum. Say, 12 attendees per year.

I have to say I am more hopeful for Ontario Place than I have been in the past few years, based on the ideas mentioned above alone. And in that same vein, why not both a water museum and a Toronto centric museum? One could lead to the other, with the pods also playing a roll? Too much maybe?

We have other locations with access to water that are better connected to the city than Ontario Place. For a niche museum, a location that is much more accessible will help draw in extra visitors, making it more likely to succeed. Queens Quay for example, would provide such a space with walk-in traffic and the potential of being accidentally discovered. Ontario Place, will be hidden and out of the way for most visitors.

Fair enough, but what about Science Centre and the Agha Khan? Do they not have any pull considering their location?

A post secondary institution affiliated with a Toronto university and college could serve a variety of purposes from cultural/historical entertainments to environmental research to employment - The Centre for Waterfront Studies. There is nothing " niche " about this. However, this is musing, as I have no idea what commitments have been made as to the overall concept uses of the lands and buildings in question. A big idea for this place has a little more attraction for me at least, than a bunch of little ones.

hy can't the city embrace a waterfront global centre for the appreciation and study of water resources in a vibrant urban setting

Just make sure you include the existing waterpark into this and you'll certainly get families coming in droves.

A water education centre sounds neat. But admittedly pretty dull, unless you are gonna have marine life attractions/ aquariums and bring back the water park I just don't think a water museum is exciting enough to make people come back here.

A water education centre sounds neat. But admittedly pretty dull, unless you are gonna have marine life attractions/ aquariums and bring back the water park I just don't think a water museum is exciting enough to make people come back here.

It sounds like it could be a wonderful part of a revitalized Ontario Science Centre, rather than a stand-alone attraction.

I think a comprehensive water centre with an educational institution, a museum, and a revitalized water park makes sense as part of the renewal needed at Ontario Place… but you would still need quite a bit more on the site for a sustainable attraction/venue. All renewal here should be predicated on Ontario Place gaining improved access through a new Waterfront West LRT line.

(Meanwhile, I'd like to see the Science Centre get a proper planetarium and related displays, and the Toronto museum must, must, must go into Old City Hall.)

Back