Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

calling a govt project regardless of political affiliation a crayon drawings just underlines how much credibility there is to this tweet. I would wait for an official report to be released before speculating.
2% could very well mean the extended portions of the line at which its reasonable at this time.
Exactly. Joe Cressy is grandstanding as always. Heck, even if design was at 99%, he would find something negative to say.
Edit: how long did it take the city to reach 15%? How many decades?

City Staff have confirmed that Premier Ford’s so-called Ontario Line (aka. a crayon drawing on a map) is only at 2% design.

Is the bulk of that 2% between Yonge and Pape using documents obtained from the TTC? A single DBOFM needs to wait for the last piece to be ready, so 2% design complete where the majority of that is a tiny central chunk isn't actually helpful.

A better marker, with regards to the timeline for a construction tender, is the current design level of Ontario Place/Exhibition station.

Edit: how long did it take the city to reach 15%? How many decades?

Nearly all of it after May 24, 2017 which is when funding for the TPAP and basic engineering (20% design target) was approved.

Last edited:
So we still don't know... The exact route, types of trains, train yard location, types of tunneling; where they'll be tunneled, crossing the don at eastern and thorncliffe and for god sake!!! where the hell will the westernly station be! Ontario Place?, Exhibition?, BMO Soccer Field, The freaking lake ontario it was named after?!

So we still don't know... The exact route, types of trains, train yard location, types of tunneling; where they'll be tunneled, crossing the don at eastern and thorncliffe and for god sake!!! where the hell will the westernly station be! Ontario Place?, Exhibition?, BMO Soccer Field, The freaking lake ontario it was named after?!
I’m sure we’ll know when construction starts in a few decades. :p

calling a govt project regardless of political affiliation a crayon drawings just underlines how much credibility there is to this tweet. I would wait for an official report to be released before speculating.
2% could very well mean the extended portions of the line at which its reasonable at this time.

I love how much of this project is predicated on some yet-to-be-announced magical cost cutting technology (hint: it doesn’t exist). It’s clear as day that the government is making this shit up as they go along.

With regards to the configuration of the line at Exhibition/Ontario Place: Depending on the length of the trains and the length of the platform, if the station is arranged in such a way that it runs N-S and its northern end is at the current Exhibition Station, it could stretch quite a fair distance south. Build some kind of underground moving walkway at the south end of the station, and it could very well serve Ontario Place while still maintaining the connectivity to LSW & the streetcar.

With regards to it being a stub that ends at Ontario Place: I actually don't mind that, so long as the track geometry at the southward turn on King doesn't preclude an extension further west. I think Exhibition/Ontario Place could actually be a useful place to short-turn trains on a longer line. It would in essence be a one-station stub off the mainline.

With regards to the configuration of the line at Exhibition/Ontario Place: Depending on the length of the trains and the length of the platform, if the station is arranged in such a way that it runs N-S and its northern end is at the current Exhibition Station, it could stretch quite a fair distance south. Build some kind of underground moving walkway at the south end of the station, and it could very well serve Ontario Place while still maintaining the connectivity to LSW & the streetcar.

With regards to it being a stub that ends at Ontario Place: I actually don't mind that, so long as the track geometry at the southward turn on King doesn't preclude an extension further west. I think Exhibition/Ontario Place could actually be a useful place to short-turn trains on a longer line. It would in essence be a one-station stub off the mainline.

This type of one station waterfront stub from the effective 'mainline' is something I'd also like to see considered for the east. Branching off from East Harbour and arcing toward Villiers Island, or maybe Hearn depending on what goes there. It could actually be operated as its own service sharing the downtown trunk but being a waterfront east/west shuttle running just 2-car trains.

An unexpected suggestion, but it actually makes sense. Many subway systems operate with this kind of branches, and there is no reason TTC can't do the same.

If we want to both bring a subway station close to Ontario Place, and retain the ability to extend the OL further west, branching may be the best bet.

This type of one station waterfront stub from the effective 'mainline' is something I'd also like to see considered for the east. Branching off from East Harbour and arcing toward Villiers Island, or maybe Hearn depending on what goes there. It could actually be operated as its own service sharing the downtown trunk but being a waterfront east/west shuttle running just 2-car trains.

I was considering that as well, and it would certainly be something that would make sense, and wouldn't increase the cost by that much. It may be even more useful if they decide to put the Ontario Line yard somewhere in the Port Lands, as it would essentially turn a service connection to the mainline into a revenue connection. (And yes, I know the current plan is for somewhere in Leaside, but that could change)

Is the bulk of that 2% between Yonge and Pape using documents obtained from the TTC? A single DBOFM needs to wait for the last piece to be ready, so 2% design complete where the majority of that is a tiny central chunk isn't actually helpful.

A better marker, with regards to the timeline for a construction tender, is the current design level of Ontario Place/Exhibition station.

Nearly all of it after May 24, 2017 which is when funding for the TPAP and basic engineering (20% design target) was approved.
so more than 2 years to reach 15%..
Anyway, just a friendly reminder that there is an outstanding RFP for the Ontario Line EA (link here), closes on June 26.

Not surprising - it was just announced.

2027 seems unrealistic.

It’s bullshit. The entire premise for this project is bullshit. I could only imagine how I’d be laughed out the room if I suggested to my boss “hey let’s throw away two years of engineering work and millions of dollars to peruse a duplicate project that might be cheaper using some mysterious technology that may or may not exist; oh, and I’ll get it done three years faster... somehow”. You won’t find an engineer willing to stand behind this crap. Only a politician could come up with such nonsense (now mind that the goal of the politician isn’t to accomplish anything, but rather to dupe the gullible public)

It’s bullshit. The entire premise for this project is bullshit. I could only imagine how I’d be laughed out the room if I suggested to my boss “hey let’s throw away two years of engineering work and millions of dollars to peruse a duplicate project that might be cheaper using some mysterious technology that may or may not exist; oh, and I’ll get it done three years faster... somehow”. You won’t find an engineer willing to stand behind this crap. Only a politician could come up with such nonsense (now mind that the goal of the politician isn’t to accomplish anything, but rather to dupe the gullible public)

Mysterious technology...false. Various trainsets have been identified that can be used to meet the slopes required
2 years to reach 15% is impossible. False. Barcelona can get from 0% to construction started in 3 years. Just need political will (and the ability to make hard decisions)
Throwing away engineering. False. The complex sections are very similar and the engineering will be re-purposed.

Mysterious technology...false. Various trainsets have been identified that can be used to meet the slopes required
2 years to reach 15% is impossible. False. Barcelona can get from 0% to construction started in 3 years. Just need political will (and the ability to make hard decisions)
Throwing away engineering. False. The complex sections are very similar and the engineering will be re-purposed.

Show us the plans - or it is vapourware.

AoD

Back