Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

We have more transit being built right now than anytime ever. All because of the Liberals. I think that says it all.

Not denying that. Just don't expect them to do much else beyond merely keeping the current projects on track if they actually get reelected. Which is not a bad thing compared to the looming threat that is Patrick Brown.

Not denying that. Just don't expect them to do much else beyond merely keeping the current projects on track if they actually get reelected. Which is not a bad thing compared to the looming threat that is Patrick Brown.

I can't see why they would spend $150 million to design it if they didn't expect to build it. And for those claiming there's no money the Ontario government is closing in on a balanced budget for the first time in a long time. The money will be there.

Even if she loses the next election she can, at the least, leave the subway as a legacy to her own riding. :)

We have more transit being built right now than anytime ever. All because of the Liberals. I think that says it all.
If not all, it says a lot, including wondering if the rate can be sustained? I say it can *with provisos*. A massive part of that proviso, since debt keeps piling up (even as the deficit is balanced) is involving private capital, in the form of the Investment Bank. I'll let McCuaig make the case. There's going to be a lot more in the press in the next while on this.
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-globe-and-mail-bc-edition/20170410/281517930980268

I can't see why they would spend $150 million to design it if they didn't expect to build it. And for those claiming there's no money the Ontario government is closing in on a balanced budget for the first time in a long time. The money will be there.
It's a good point, but Salsa also has a point, raising the flag isn't building the fort. A lot of promised funding is in fact, not committed at all. Funding studies is a way of 'acting busy while the boss is looking'. Far more studies disappear than ever see manifestation. Toronto's history is awash in them. Wynne does have an opportunity of finding a way through though, and it's the Investment Bank. Wynne is as clever as she is unpopular. I rate her cunning as multiples...*magnitudes* greater than Horwath and Brown combined. Well...lol...Horwath + a bit. I only wish the Cons were a suitable alternative at Centre. They used to be, they lost it.

Even if she loses the next election she can, at the least, leave the subway as a legacy to her own riding.
I have doubts on actually making it irreversible. What she can do is offload the baggage onto the incoming regime who won't look good unless they match it, which is doubtful...unless...of course...McCuaig is the most cunning of them all. His pitch is just as viable for the Cons. Are the Cons smart enough to realize it? Doubtful. It should appeal to fiscal conservatives, but alas, the Brown Boys are of the reactionary kind, not the sensible alternatives of Ontario yesteryear.

It's a good point, but Salsa also has a point, raising the flag isn't building the fort. A lot of promised funding is in fact, not committed at all. Funding studies is a way of 'acting busy while the boss is looking'. Far more studies disappear than ever see manifestation. Toronto's history is awash in them.

Studies is one thing (they are relatively cheap). Spending $150 million on design is quite another.

Studies is one thing (they are relatively cheap). Spending $150 million on design is quite another.
Good point. I'll dig later to see what is committed and conditions to it. Accepting your point, do you still think it makes it irreversible? Eglinton Subway was actually being built, and we know what happened to that. Am I being cynical? One has to be...

Certainly not irreversible at this point as nothing has been formally announced yet beyond the design money.

As for Eglinton the Liberals learned much from the subway cancellation. Money for the Spadina extension was placed in a trust that future governments couldn't touch. Once construction began on Spadina it was basically a done deal. I imagine the same thing would happen here.

Certainly not irreversible at this point as nothing has been formally announced yet beyond the design money.

As for Eglinton the Liberals learned much from the subway cancellation. Money for the Spadina extension was placed in a trust that future governments couldn't touch. Once construction began on Spadina it was basically a done deal. I imagine the same thing would happen here.
"Money for the Spadina extension was placed in a trust that future governments couldn't touch. Once construction began" That vehicle I wasn't aware of. That appears to be a very good point. I'll dig for detail, any link or reference you could provide most valuable. This has to be further discussed.

Edit to Add: The more I think about this, once confirmed by detail, the more it can be a 'poison pill' for the Cons. This could be worked to get the Cons to put themselves in a noose...not that they need much help at the present rate...

Last edited:
Forget about the trust - if one wanted to move the project, give everyone who had to put up with YUS their MPP and party leader's number/email. Especially right after an extended delay.

AoD

Forget about the trust
So did I, although I kept tripping across it in the background of more obivious events.

I think E. Skira must be presenting this as the model, rather than the actual trust that could fold other projects into it:
"As the sole purpose of the Trust is to fund the TYSSE, its funds may not be spent on any other project or activity. The Trust will dissolve on December 31, 2017."

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust the Liberals to keep any of their election promises. Anyone still remember the T.O - London high speed rail thing from last time? Or the all day, two way trains to Kitchener?

True, but they seem to be doing fairly well on about 75% of transit promises. So, if they promise 4 things then 3 will probably happen and 1 will struggle.

I think they got some really crappy information on Kitchener before the last election. That whole $5B CN problem seems to have caught even Metrolinx off guard. Nobody anywhere had that queued for budget consideration.

Still though, I don't think it's too pessimistic to think there'd be a downgrade post-election. Not a Liberal or PC thing, or R/L. Historically every grand plan has parts chopped or delayed to infinity.

Forget about the trust - if one wanted to move the project, give everyone who had to put up with YUS their MPP and party leader's number/email. Especially right after an extended delay.

We're a pretty passive bunch sometimes though. Riders may end up calling just to say "sorey" for being a contributor to the increasing jam-ups.

Brad Dugid loves to point that out. But all of these new transit lines within Toronto are from a single $7 Billion commitment made 10 years ago. The Liberals need to do better than that. That money alone isn't going to solve our transit problems.

Brad Dugid loves to point that out. But all of these new transit lines within Toronto are from a single $7 Billion commitment made 10 years ago. The Liberals need to do better than that. That money alone isn't going to solve our transit problems.
It's not just those lines. It's RER as well, which is, for all intents and purposes, several new rapid transit lines. It's still not enough, but let's give credit where it's due.

Back