Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The first phase should really include the extension up to the Science Centre, it would still relieve the whole Yonge Line since riders north of it would head south to connect with the DRL instead of heading west to the Yonge Line.
When they decided that ECLRT would not be grade-separated to Don Mills, I sort of assumed that the DRL would stop at Danforth permanently.

When they decided that ECLRT would not be grade-separated to Don Mills, I sort of assumed that the DRL would stop at Danforth permanently.
The Science Centre Station is underground for a reason, to connect to the Relief Line. However, that is the only accommodation done, no rough in nor station box. Pretty sad tbh. Also, the section from Liard to Don Mills not being tunnelled isn't a big problem as the Relief Line will mostly be used by people on the East (and maybe Leslie) if they need to go South. Everyone else (West of Liard) will use Yonge and Spadina to go South. The above ground section between Liard and Don Mills won't slow anyone down unless they're doing a "Crosstown" trip along the Eglinton "Crosstown".

So much chaff and bickering in these forums over what the Relief Line will be and not enough actual information:

planginerd has nice notes on the meeting:

Rishi said:
"Construction won't start till 2024 and won't open till 2031 in the best case. We are planning" @PaulaFletcher30#drl

We need a secondary source on that claim. A 2024 construction start is not in line with what City Staff have indicated before, nor does it make sense given how advanced planning for the Relief Line Short is.

The Environmental Assessment for the project will be complete in late 2017/early 2018. After that point, the TTC can either complete 30% design work, and enter into a design/build agreement with an outside firm to complete the line, OR TTC can complete 100% design while concurrently constructing the line. In either case, it won't take six to seven years to design the Relief Line; the design phase typically lasts only one or two years before construction start. Furthermore, a delay of 6 to 7 years will dramatically increase the price of the project. So what are they planning to be doing during that delay?

Perhaps Paula Fletcher was talking about the Relief Line northern extension when she made that comment. The earliest that extension could begin construction is 2024, if it follows a similar planning timeline as the Relief Line Short (four years from planning start to EA completion + two years design).

It will eventually be more commonly known as the Don Mills Subway.

In another 15 years or so :p
Ft61qpr.png

We need a secondary source on that claim. A 2024 construction start is not in line with what City Staff have indicated before, nor does it make sense given how advanced planning for the Relief Line Short is.

The Environmental Assessment for the project will be complete in late 2017/early 2018. After that point, the TTC can either complete 30% design work, and enter into a design/build agreement with an outside firm to complete the line, OR TTC can complete 100% design while concurrently constructing the line. In either case, it won't take six to seven years to design the Relief Line; the design phase typically lasts only one or two years before construction start. Furthermore, a delay of 6 to 7 years will dramatically increase the price of the project. So what are they planning to be doing during that delay?

Perhaps Paula Fletcher was talking about the Relief Line northern extension when she made that comment. The earliest that extension could begin construction is 2024, if it follows a similar planning timeline as the Relief Line Short (four years from planning start to EA completion + two years design).
They could start building the Relief Line Short and then when it's a few years in, construction on Relief Line Long can start. Therefore, they don't finish one project into order to start the next one. More efficient, but not as efficient as possible though.

Yeah, it seems like overbuilding for the area, and the upstream knock on ridership may make Gerrard RER/"Smart" Track more costly than beneficial. Further, the footprint of the Kiss & Ride and the Bus Terminal is absurd. Good luck getting in or out of there during the morning rush--or any time of day, really. A Relief Line station would achieve most of the same city building and revitalization goals for Gerrard Square without Metrolinx trying to shoehorn suburban design philosophies into an urban context.

Something seems up with it. I fully grasp multi-modal hubs, but to have two RL-LSE+Stouff interchanges 1,000m apart seems strange. If I saw that in any fantasy map, even my own, I wouldn't believe it would ever happen. And just because of the mystery behind SmartTrack, part of me wonders whether it was Metrolinx's doing, Tory's, Schabas', Del Duca, or all of the above scheming in some bunker lol.

In another 15 years or so :p

It's a very attractive shade of blue. If red won't be the colour (which is best IMO), then this blue is a solid choice. Certainly better than that pink we were teased with a few months ago.

They could start building the Relief Line Short and then when it's a few years in, construction on Relief Line Long can start. Therefore, they don't finish one project into order to start the next one. More efficient, but not as efficient as possible though.
Don River seems like a convenient point to stop - next to the Millwood Bridge.
It's a very attractive shade of blue. If red won't be the colour (which is best IMO), then this blue is a solid choice. Certainly better than that pink we were teased with a few months ago.
I am thinking of saving Green for GO, and Red for TTC surface routes (streetcar and bus).
This still leaves plenty of shades for the rapid transit lines.

Last edited:

Back