Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

501 Queen - eliminated and replaced by a modified 504 King route (see below)

I don't see any particular reason why the 501 Queen would/should be deleted. I don't imagine that station frequency would be as high as the Bloor-Danforth.

I don't see any particular reason why the 501 Queen would/should be deleted. I don't imagine that station frequency would be as high as the Bloor-Danforth.

My map doesn't show this, but I said in my post that:
If necessary, low frequency streetcar service along the DRL (between Broadview and Roncesvalles) can be maintained by having some 504 cars go on Queen instead of King.

Stop spacing on Queen thus far is 830 meters. That's about the same as the Bloor-Danforth.

Stops on the Bloor-Danforth are wider between Yonge and Braodview because of the Rosedale and Don Valleys. I'd call this part of line an exception. Stop spacing on the central section of Bloor-Danforth averages out to about 650m. I was imagining spacing on the west extension of the RL to be closer to 1km.

Stops on the Bloor-Danforth are wider between Yonge and Braodview because of the Rosedale and Don Valleys. I'd call this part of line an exception. Stop spacing on the central section of Bloor-Danforth averages out to about 650m. I was imagining spacing on the west extension of the RL to be closer to 1km.

I'd anticipate stop spacing on the west end to be similar to the Eglinton crosstown.

I'd anticipate the Relief Line stop spacing to go through The Cheapening, as per the usual in Toronto.

Well frankly it shouldn't.

There needs to be stops every 700 metres. It puts us at Roncesvalles, Jameson, Dufferin, Ossington, Niagara, Bathurst, Spadina, McCaul, Bay, Jarvis, Parliament, Sumach, Broadview and Carlaw. 13 stops over 10 kilometres. That's more than reasonable in my book.

It'd be a crying shame if Eglinton-Crosstown winds up with closer stop spacing than the most heavily trafficked part of the city.

There needs to be stops every 700 metres. It puts us at Roncesvalles, Jameson, Dufferin, Ossington, Niagara, Bathurst, Spadina, McCaul, Bay, Jarvis, Parliament, Sumach, Broadview and Carlaw. 13 stops over 10 kilometres. That's more than reasonable in my book.

It'd be a crying shame if Eglinton-Crosstown winds up with closer stop spacing than the most heavily trafficked part of the city.
Undoubtedly.

This is not the subway line or transit project to go cheap on.

Undoubtedly.

This is not the subway line or transit project to go cheap on.

This subway needs to be built in one shot. Not in phases. What is proposed right now is not enough.

This subway needs to be built in one shot. Not in phases. What is proposed right now is not enough.

Unfortunately, the main problem is funding to do it in one shot. The phases, however, should be closer together, every few years if possible. Not decades apart, please.

We've seen seen it happen before, with the Bloor-Danforth (Keele to Woodbine: 1966; Islington to Warden: 1968) and then Yonge (extended north from Eglinton Station to York Mills: 1973; then to Finch: 1974). Could include the first Spadina extension as well, from St. George Station to Wilson in 1978, which happened four years after the Finch extension.

We've seen seen it happen before, with the Bloor-Danforth (Keele to Woodbine: 1966; Islington to Warden: 1968) and then Yonge (extended north from Eglinton Station to York Mills: 1973; then to Finch: 1974). Could include the first Spadina extension as well, from St. George Station to Wilson in 1978, which happened four years after the Finch extension.

Those were the days

The reason it's not built in one shot is because planners feel this is not the subway line or transit project to go cheap on.

Make it as cheap as possible, cut and cover and make it elevated from Millwood north - then it could be built to Eglinton or even farther north.

Back