Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

For the person who lives at Lawrence and Don Mills (or in Thorncliffe for that matter) who wants to go to the University of Toronto, a transfer at Osgoode would be their logical route, and they would resent having a more difficult transfer than necessary from a single City Hall station located near Bay. What about the person who lives near Downsview station and who works at the new Globe & Mail headquarters? They will want that transfer for their daily commute.

As someone who does not own a car and relies exclusively on the TTC for every trip (not just a commute), I believe downtown transfers to the Relief Line will also be surprisingly well used in off-peak hours. From where I live in the Annex, I can easily see myself heading down the University line, transferring at Osgoode (or Queen if necessary) to head to a bar in Leslieville. Similarly, transferring at Pape to head for dinner in Little India. Whole neighbourhoods will be open to me that are presently a headache to get to.

Not in its proposed form it wouldn't but at least the planning department is an equal opportunity scrooge.

Giving a subway to the politicians at City Hall (who would never be caught dead on the TTC to start) is more important than giving the 5000+ workers at the Globe & Mail a way to get to work without having to spend hours on the streetcars. Payback for last year's endorsement?

I wonder what job creators like Allied and First Gulf think of this plan. They take all the risk in creating jobs and wealth in the city only to see their work go down the drain like this when the city actively works against them.

We're world class!

At being terrible.

What about this Green P site just west of Queen and Spadina?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Gr...0x0000000000000000:0xa577494993a0d183!6m1!1e1

I'm no engineer, but to this layperson, it seems almost a perfect distance west for some tailing tracks after a Spadina station.

Personally I think the first phase should come as far as Spadina, despite that option not being part of the City's EA. It would dovetail well with Planning's 15-year vision maps that indicate the Spadina streetcar is considered quasi-RT.
Spadina just makes so much sense. There are so many destinations around Queen and Spadina that would be accessed by the Relief Line.

Plus if we tunnel with the extraction site at this parking lot site, that means any western extension can be launched from here with minimal interruption on Spadina station. Which will not be the case with the NPS station as we would have to tunnel under Osgoode Station, likely leading to service disruption on both Line 1 and the Relief Line.

Plus if we tunnel with the extraction site at this parking lot site, that means any western extension can be launched from here with minimal interruption on Spadina station. Which will not be the case with the NPS station as we would have to tunnel under Osgoode Station, likely leading to service disruption on both Line 1 and the Relief Line.

Yes, although it might make sense to tunnel the western extension towards this shaft so that it serves as an extraction shaft from both directions. If the extension is years away, maybe there would be a way of leaving the shaft with a temporary cover over it. The location isn't ideal as an insertion shaft, not a good place to bring out the dirt from.

- Paul

For the downtown portion they ought to seriously examine the method being used in Ottawa, where the tunnel and station are mined out and only some smaller entrance shafts need to be dug from above. Much less disruptive.

For the downtown portion they ought to seriously examine the method being used in Ottawa, where the tunnel and station are mined out and only some smaller entrance shafts need to be dug from above. Much less disruptive.

Two of our past stations were done this way (St Patrick and Queens Park). And I recall reading somewhere awhile back that some of the Crosstown will be done this way (tho not sure which stations). So there's no doubt in my mind that most or all of the downtown stations will be built using this method.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but this thread is dense and I only pop in on occasion...

Has a relief line ever been considered that would run east and west somewhat equidistantly between King and Queen (aka a 'Royal Line')? I believe the 'Yonge' line doesn't even actually run beneath Yonge. This being the case subway stops on Queen and King could lead via tunnels to the shared subway line (using people-movers like they have at the airport). Even without people-movers the walk wouldn't be all that long. I've been in subways in New York and Paris etc where you often have to walk quite far and/or change levels to get from one line to another or one exit to another. It wouldn't be all that different.

Alternatively, a line like this could be skewed closer to Queen with longer tunnels from King, or vice versa.

Why not provide a line that serves two major east/west arteries with a subway rather than one?

Sorry if this has already been discussed but this thread is dense and I only pop in on occasion...

Has a relief line ever been considered that would run east and west somewhat equidistantly between King and Queen (aka a 'Royal Line')? I believe the 'Yonge' line doesn't even actually run beneath Yonge. This being the case subway stops on Queen and King could lead via tunnels to the shared subway line (using people-movers like they have at the airport). Even without people-movers the walk wouldn't be all that long. I've been in subways in New York and Paris etc where you often have to walk quite far and/or change levels to get from one line to another or one exit to another. It wouldn't be all that different.

Alternatively, a line like this could be skewed closer to Queen with longer tunnels from King, or vice versa.

Why not provide a line that serves two major east/west arteries with a subway rather than one?

Adelaide and Richmond were both evaluated on a number of factors, but the city has determined that Queen fits all their criteria better.

Perhaps in the west it can go on Queen to the Fashion District and then veer south to Liberty Village, then north again to Dufferin and Queen, then north to have a Brockton station on Lansdowne between Dundas and College, and then north to Dundas West.

Steve Munro has talked about the probable need for a second GO station at Bathurst for the Lakeshore line to relieve congestion at Union given all of the ST/RER plans. There's a case to be made for having a spur of DRL run south to this station, so that the Lakeshore line passengers would have a subway connection to the central business district. Munro has alluded to this as well. I really do think all of these transit/transportation plans need to be considered together: ST, DRL, and yes, Gardiner removal/burial.

If we ran the DRL under Queen/Richmond and had a spur jut south at Bathurst to a new GO platform/station around Bathurst and Front, why wouldn't we finally complete the Front St. Extension west of Bathurst (a longstanding city plan), the purpose of which would be to provide an on/off ramp to the Gardiner. My thinking is, put the Gardiner in the same ditch as the DRL. Would it be that much more expensive than trying to dig another train platform and track set under Union, throwing a billion at the Gardiner Hybrid, and spending tens of millions trying to spruce up the land under the elevated Gardiner? Yes, it's more costly in the short run, but you open up land for development along Lakeshore, beautify Lakeshore Boulevard, run traffic underground, and create a more complete transit loop.

The ideal would be to have the western stretch of ST between Union and Bloor have stations at Spadina and Front and Queen and Dufferin, a DRL running to Dufferin and Queen (for ST transfer) with a spur running south of Queen and Bathurst to a station at Bathurst and Front (with transfer to GO). I'd also advocate to have DRL stations for the Entertainment District (Queen and Spadina), Bathurst and Queen, and either Queen and Ossington/Shaw or Trinity Bellwoods (or both?). As mentioned before, if the DRL runs under Queen, use the same streetcars in the tunnel as above ground for ease of transfer and cost savings (there are stations roughed in for streetcars beneath Queen and Osgoode stations). If we use a subway, put it under Richmond, so that the streetcar tracks on Queen remain intact (not just to relieve transit chaos during construction, but because we'll need those streetcars. They provide more stops than the DRL and would handle commuter overflow at rush periods).

I realize the Gardiner burial idea is a non-starter for some. In that case, leave it out. I'd still do all of these other projects. A Front Street Extension that connects to the existing west Gardiner would allow us to achieve the European model of having a regional train station (for Lakeshore GO) and parking at the edge of the downtown (where cars come off the Gardiner), with the ability to access rapid transit into the downtown. Cities such as York in England use parking garages combined with shuttles into the city. Really, having this additional ramp from the Gardiner at Front St. with access to transit would make the rest of the Gardiner largely unnecessary. It could probably be removed without replacement. If we need an expressway connection to the DVP, put it underground with a toll charge. Tolls are the standard in most major cities with downtown expressways. I realize that for many on here, tunneling the Gardiner, with or without tolls, is a separate discussion, same with removing the Gardiner. Fine, but all transportation flows should be considered together for the quality of life not just of drivers and transit passengers, but the impact on pedestrians at street level.

Last edited:
While I would agree that downtown is the destination for most trips, I wouldn't discount the appeal of transfers, particularly after sections north of Pape station are completed.

For the person who lives at Lawrence and Don Mills (or in Thorncliffe for that matter) who wants to go to the University of Toronto, a transfer at Osgoode would be their logical route, and they would resent having a more difficult transfer than necessary from a single City Hall station located near Bay. What about the person who lives near Downsview station and who works at the new Globe & Mail headquarters? They will want that transfer for their daily commute.

As someone who does not own a car and relies exclusively on the TTC for every trip (not just a commute), I believe downtown transfers to the Relief Line will also be surprisingly well used in off-peak hours. From where I live in the Annex, I can easily see myself heading down the University line, transferring at Osgoode (or Queen if necessary) to head to a bar in Leslieville. Similarly, transferring at Pape to head for dinner in Little India. Whole neighbourhoods will be open to me that are presently a headache to get to.

For the first trip you describe, wouldn't transferring at Pape and getting off at St. George be a more direct route?

Yes, I do acknowledge that there will be some trip patterns that will utilize the transfer, I'm just saying that in this case the configuration of the exits is more important than the configuration of the platforms relative to each other. Shifting the station box a bit further away from Yonge provides much easier access to both the Sheraton Centre and NPS, and the PATH connections that go with them. Having a small underground walk to Queen Station for the smaller percentage of people doing that is a worthy price to pay, IMO, since those western connections will likely be better used.

What about this Green P site just west of Queen and Spadina?

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Green+P+Carpark+106/@43.6479416,-79.4016131,471m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sparking!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xa577494993a0d183!6m1!1e1

I'm no engineer, but to this layperson, it seems almost a perfect distance west for some tailing tracks after a Spadina station.

Personally I think the first phase should come as far as Spadina, despite that option not being part of the City's EA. It would dovetail well with Planning's 15-year vision maps that indicate the Spadina streetcar is considered quasi-RT.

Yup, that would probably work. Is there anything crucial directly south of that lot, fronting onto Queen? I would think a small case of expropriation would be appropriate there.

It was definitely TBM (older style of tunnel with steel liners). The section tunneled is right at the eastern most part of the Yonge station box right to the western section of Sherbourne station box (its the reason why there is the large gap between the tracks at Sherbourne) which isn't typical for side platform stations.

It wasn't a TBM, actually. It was hand mined, much as other bored sections of the B-D were built. And as the University line, as well.

That's dependent on soil and geology conditions. In Ottawa, the bedrock is very solid (Canadian Shield, IINM) and quite close to the surface to it was quite easy for them to mine through downtown and underneath buildings. In Toronto, the bedrock is far more variable in quality and depth, which makes it trickier to mine vast spaces like what is required for stations, or crossovers when you've got buildings above and around them. In fact, the subway has been built through very little bedrock in Toronto, if at all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In fact, the subway has been built through very little bedrock in Toronto, if at all.
It's in some at Union - but really awful stuff, that you wouldn't want to tunnel through. And even then, the top of the tunnel is above the bedrock. Other than the south end of the University loop, that's it. It's way to deep.

Part of the reason the Montreal stations are so deep, is that they want to stay in the bedrock, and that's where it is. We'd have the deepest subway stations on the planet, if we stayed in bedrock!

That's dependent on soil and geology conditions. In Ottawa, the bedrock is very solid (Canadian Shield, IINM) and quite close to the surface to it was quite easy for them to mine through downtown and underneath buildings. In Toronto, the bedrock is far more variable in quality and depth, which makes it trickier to mine vast spaces like what is required for stations, or crossovers when you've got buildings above and around them. In fact, the subway has been built through very little bedrock in Toronto, if at all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yup, the geology of downtown Ottawa is about as perfect for tunnelling as you can get. Toronto is much more of a mixed bag. Even in Ottawa though, they had trouble with the east portal area, where the soil transitions from Canadian Shield to the area known as Sandy Hill. The name should give you a hint as to the problem they faced.

I've been doing some thinking on what the future streetcar network might look like upon full buildout of the DRL and the Port Lands. It will be interesting to see what will actually happen. For the record, I terminated the DRL at Roncesvalles instead of Dundas West only so that the streetcar lines would be more readable.

Screen shot 2016-02-18 at 5.42.32 PM.png

Major Changes:

501 Queen - eliminated and replaced by a modified 504 King route (see below)

504 King - mostly unchanged except that it no longer goes on Broadview, instead it continues east along Queen St E. If necessary, low frequency streetcar service along the DRL (between Broadview and Roncesvalles) can be maintained by having some 504 cars go on Queen instead of King.

509 Harbourfront - extended in both directions as part of the waterfront west and East Bayfront LRT. The western extension to Long Branch replaces the current 501 service on Queensway and Lakeshore Rd.

514 Cherry - a new streetcar line that goes into service this year between Dufferin loop and Cherry St. Over time the Cherry St spur will be extended south into the Portlands as the area develops.

517 Broadview - a new streetcar line (using a number I made up) to replace the current 504 service on Broadview. Provides service to the Unilever lands and Port Lands.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-18 at 5.42.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-18 at 5.42.32 PM.png
    442.6 KB · Views: 886

Back