Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Took me 45 minutes to get from Y&B to Adelaide and Sherbourne this morning. Bloor Station was a mess and four packed trains went by before I could get on.

View attachment 66349

I don't believe for a second the TTC's claim that the Yonge line will not be over capacity until 2030, and that the relief line won't be needed until then.

Buddy I've lived there for 20 years - so I'm not going anywhere.

Commuting was easier back then, than it is now. I've seen the city grow around me and fail to keep up. Again, not my problem, I've been here before it all happened.
I'm not your buddy, but enjoy your commutes getting longer and longer.

'I'm not your buddy'? What are you? Twelve?

Likewise, enjoy walking through the subway tunnels when the TTC pops again - DRL is over 20 years away :cool:
You clearly aren't in the business of being a nice person.

I walk 10 minutes to work, so my commute isn't going to change regardless of what happens with the drl or traffic conditions.

I needed to get to the office. Had I known Yonge was a mess I would have taken the train to Sherbourne and then taken the bus. Of course I could have walked but that wasn't part of the plan. I would have left earlier had I planned to work. My point here is Yonge/Bloor is getting increasingly packed and this morning proves that the DRL is required ASAP.

It proves that we need a network. Eglinton Grade-separate from Kennedy (or beyond) to Pearson. Sheppard subway connected to Spadina, DRL going to Sheppard.

Building a western DRL is fine and all but where is the creativity and vision in this city? What we need to do is kill 2 birds with one stone: build the western DRL in conjunction with a highway tunnel that can extend Highway 400 right into the middle of the downtown core. That way, Filip and others can commute right into the core, hassle free! If there's one thing that hyperbolic rambling accomplishes, it's defining the true needs of Toronto.

It would probably be more economical to build a massive parking structure connected directly to Black Creek Drive and Mt. Dennis GO on top of the Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility.

Poor muffins. My commute is routinely over an hour even though I could spit and hit the CN Tower - yet when I raise these concerns within UT, I'm told I'd be better off biking.

Can't say I have much sympathy for the poor snowflakes and their crowded subway.

Why don't you bike?

I don't believe for a second the TTC's claim that the Yonge line will not be over capacity until 2030, and that the relief line won't be needed until then.

Toronto City Planning, in their SmartTrack report, forecasted 20% higher Yonge Line crowding than previously anticipated. If that materializes, Yonge will reach capacity constraints sooner than currently expected. Bloor-Yonge is another issue.

This also means the Relief Line to Danforth might now be inadequate relief for even short term Yonge Line relief, let alone Yonge line + Yonge North Subway Extension. That would mean that the Relief Line to Eglinton or perhaps Sheppard goes from something that would be nice to have, to something that is a must have.

Have you tried to get a bus at Sherbourne when there's a problem on Yonge? Line goes around the block sometimes ...

Probably fastest to take subway to St. George and change to the University line.

Indeed. Rule 1 - avoid replacement buses like the plague - chances are, you won't be able to get on one (it has a bit of a lifeboat on the Titanic feel to it), and do you really want to bump some old lady off because you want to get on it?

When there are subway delays I usually start walking and keep an eye on TTCs twitter so that if the delays clear I can get back on the subway.

Same, but it would be unrealistic to expect that level of preparedness and connectivity from most.

On another note, those stupdendous on-time and customer satisfaction stats heralded like the second coming last week by the TTC doesn't sound so hot now, does it?

AoD

Last edited:
Toronto City Planning, in their SmartTrack report, forecasted 20% higher Yonge Line crowding than previously anticipated. If that materializes, Yonge will reach capacity constraints sooner than currently expected. Bloor-Yonge is another issue.

This also means the Relief Line to Danforth might now be inadequate relief for even short term Yonge Line relief, let alone Yonge line + Yonge North Subway Extension. That would mean that the Relief Line to Eglinton or perhaps Sheppard goes from something that would be nice to have, to something that is a must have.

Yes but by point is that we've reached the crisis point already, as anyone who uses the Yonge line on a daily basis would know. The TTC seems to be under the impression that automatic train control will somehow buy us 15 years of time, which is BS because whatever little capacity we might get out of this will quickly succumb to latent demand and population growth.

Yes but by point is that we've reached the crisis point already, as anyone who uses the Yonge line on a daily basis would know. The TTC seems to be under the impression that automatic train control will somehow buy us 15 years of time, which is BS because whatever little capacity we might get out of this will quickly succumb to latent demand and population growth.

I suspect they are overly optimistic on how effective ATC is going to be. Not to mention the inevitable PAA, fires at Davisville, etc. Which will make the fall when it happens all the harder. The willingness to put all the eggs in one basket and pray that nothing bad will happen is just foolish.

AoD

Last edited:
Given:
1. The congestion on the Yonge line we already have;
2. The very long lead time for DRL construction even if by some miraculous conjunction of the stars and planets Council could ever get off its collective ass and approve it; and
3. The apparent rebuild of lower Yonge that may actually happen (OK, it's Toronto so probably not);
It seems sensible to consider a bi-directional LRT loop on its own ROW running along Yonge and Bay, from Bloor to Queen's Quay. Admittedly this would close lower Yonge to automobiles, assuming sidewalk widening, which I guess isn't possible with this Council, but it would seem to offer a financially feasible solution that might be built in less than geological time.

I suspect they are overly optimistic on how effective ATC is going to be. Not to mention the inevitable PAA, fires at Davisville, etc. Which will make the fall when it happens all the harder. The willingness to put all the eggs in one basket and pray that nothing bad will happen is just foolish.

AoD

Steve Munro has been harping about the limitations of ATO for years. Even if ATO works as expected (it won't), we'll be at 90% capacity in 2031, which won't be enough to keep up with population growth for more than a few years.

If TTC has underestimated latent demand on Yonge, we're screwed.

Back