Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Poor muffins. My commute is routinely over an hour even though I could spit and hit the CN Tower - yet when I raise these concerns within UT, I'm told I'd be better off biking.

Can't say I have much sympathy for the poor snowflakes and their crowded subway.

There is a reason you specifically don't get any sympathy.

I needed to get to the office. Had I known Yonge was a mess I would have taken the train to Sherbourne and then taken the bus. Of course I could have walked but that wasn't part of the plan. I would have left earlier had I planned to work. My point here is Yonge/Bloor is getting increasingly packed and this morning proves that the DRL is required ASAP.
Definitely agree with you there. I live on top of Bloor-Yonge Station and took the TTC often between Bloor and Queen last February when it was bitterly cold all month. It often took longer than walking, but was worth it at the time to stay out of the cold.

There is a reason you specifically don't get any sympathy.
I'm not in the business of being a nice person - you want to get walked all over go right ahead. How did Scarborough get their subways again? Squeaky wheel gets the grease and so on.

You won't get any sympathy from non-subway folks about subway overcrowding that's for sure. Especially from my neck of the woods. I had a good laugh watching the clusterfunk from up north this morning. Welcome to my daily commute.

I'm not in the business of being a nice person - you want to get walked all over go right ahead. How did Scarborough get their subways again? Squeaky wheel gets the grease and so on.

You won't get any sympathy from non-subway folks about subway overcrowding that's for sure. Especially from my neck of the woods. I had a good laugh watching the clusterfunk from up north this morning. Welcome to my daily commute.
I'm not sure why you chose to live in Humber Bay Shores (which is known for having some of the worst transportation infrastructure in the city), when you're on this forum all the time complaining about the lack of transit there.

Poor muffins. My commute is routinely over an hour even though I could spit and hit the CN Tower - yet when I raise these concerns within UT, I'm told I'd be better off biking.

Can't say I have much sympathy for the poor snowflakes and their crowded subway.

I certainly feel your pain (mine is over 1.5 hours long, so in terms of bragging right...). The point being reliable subway access in the downtown core is a matter of regional competitiveness, and the lackthereof hurts everyone. At the end of the day, your life will be even worse if YUS mucks up because the effects does spill over.

AoD

Last edited:
From what I've seen on social media, that's exactly what happened. There was an initial delay, then some passengers panicked or had a medal emergency in response and pressed the PAA.

A casual observation of the failure pattern should have made it clear to them years ago - if they haven't figured that out by now, they should quit while they're at it, resign and seek employment that is more inline with their abilities.

AoD

I'm not sure why you chose to live in Humber Bay Shores (which is known for having some of the worst transportation infrastructure in the city), when you're on this forum all the time complaining about the lack of transit there.
Buddy I've lived there for 20 years - so I'm not going anywhere.

Commuting was easier back then, than it is now. I've seen the city grow around me and fail to keep up. Again, not my problem, I've been here before it all happened.

Seeing that the western half of SmartTrack has completely dissolved, with that section only having 10 min frequencies, I wonder if there is now a business case to be made for bringing the Relief Line to Mt. Dennis (Eglinton) or beyond, via Dundas West Station, as SmartTrack's replacement.

For the Relief Line terminating at Dundas West, the YRNS forecasted low/moderate usage of 11,000 pphpd for 2031. The SmartTrack report showed demand of 11,500 pphpd, approaching Dundas West Station from the north, on SmartTrack including the western spur.

Obviously we can't directly compare these two reports with wildly different set of assumptions. But what this does show is that there is significant latent demand for a direct central west end to downtown rapid transit link. This is an idea that should explored in an official capacity in the relitavely near future, perhaps as soon as the completion of planning for the eastern Relief Line.

Also, tying the western Relief Line to a suburban subway could make the western RL easier to sell politically.

SmartTrack ridership forecasts: http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/City Managers Office/Intergovernmental Relations/Files/PDF/SmartTrack Ridership Forecasts Report.pdf
Yonge Relief Network Study: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20150625/2015-06-25_Yonge_Relief_Network_Study.pdf
DRLNow has more info about a potential western Relief Line: http://www.drlnow.ca/

Building a western DRL is fine and all but where is the creativity and vision in this city? What we need to do is kill 2 birds with one stone: build the western DRL in conjunction with a highway tunnel that can extend Highway 400 right into the middle of the downtown core. That way, Filip and others can commute right into the core, hassle free! If there's one thing that hyperbolic rambling accomplishes, it's defining the true needs of Toronto.

I did not say everyone should walk when there is a delay. I said only those who could walk should walk

Again, blaming the victim. In the absence of perfect information, who knows how long the wait will be - 5 minutes? 15 minutes? And when you have invested sufficient time in waiting, the bar to cutting ones' losses and walk is even higher. Ultimately whether one walks or not is dependent on familiarity with alternate routes, experiences with past delays and information on delay resolution that is simply not available.

AoD

Again, blaming the victim. In the absence of perfect information, who knows how long the wait will be - 5 minutes? 15 minutes? And when you have invested sufficient time in waiting, the bar to cutting ones' losses and walk is even higher. Ultimately whether one walks or not is dependent on information that is not available. AoD

Yes sir!

I cannot win when I am up against your 'I'm always right' attitude

When there are subway delays I usually start walking and keep an eye on TTCs twitter so that if the delays clear I can get back on the subway.

I needed to get to the office. Had I known Yonge was a mess I would have taken the train to Sherbourne and then taken the bus.
Have you tried to get a bus at Sherbourne when there's a problem on Yonge? Line goes around the block sometimes ...

Probably fastest to take subway to St. George and change to the University line.

Back