Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

In Metrolinx's Yonge Relief Study, it mentions "LRT through the Don Valley on existing corridors". Does anyone have a guess as to the possibilities of what that could mean?

Steve Munro says:
LRT on the Don Valley rail corridors: There really is only one rail corridor in the Don because the Don Branch of the CPR (now owned by Metrolinx) ends at Leaside. The Richmond Hill GO line has major issues related to flooding and its wandering route, but conversion to LRT will not of itself fix these problems. All that would happen is one technology would substitute for the other with no significant benefit. If the Richmond Hill corridor is going to play an important role, it should do so as a GO Rail operation and resources should be concentrated on improving the robustness and speed of the line with that mode.

Munro easily brushes off the Don Branch because it 'ends at Leaside'. But could that old line be utilized in any way? Metrolinx owns it, so I'm assuming they want to have something done with it. I apologize if the Don Branch has been discussed here or in other threads, but it interests me seeing this line all the time with weeds growing all over it. Then reading the Star's article on elevated metros had me thinking about ways in which it could be used. Is it possible that Metrolinx could use the line for some kind of 'light' RT line?

10 year project delivery is possible, but 2023.. not so much. 2024 or 2025 maybe.

If we assume everything will be approved and funded, and things aren't cancelled or changed (big assumption I know), 10 years seems like a reasonable estimate given that Sheppard took 8 years of construction and Eglinton will take 9 years.

That's the most optimistic possibility I know, but it is a possibility.

Eglinton will be an 11 year project when all said and done, Spadina a 10 year project, and Scarborough is supposed to be 10 years including the EA, which has already started for the DRL. I say 2025 assuming funding by the end of the year.

Funding from whom?

Queen's Park is broke, the feds have already given Toronto money for Union, Spadina, Sheppard LRT, and now $600 million for SRT subway.................no way in hell you'll get more money from them. Torontonians talk about new revenue sources but no one has dared actually introduce it at council or offered a plebiscite.

its in the spring budget at queens park, there was a whole flare about it in the news today. whether it will pass, that is still up in the air. It rests in Horwaths hands, and while she vocally opposes it, we will see if she will bend to let it through with some concessions. (probably a larger corporate contribution, for better or for worse)

its in the spring budget at queens park, there was a whole flare about it in the news today. whether it will pass, that is still up in the air. It rests in Horwaths hands, and while she vocally opposes it, we will see if she will bend to let it through with some concessions. (probably a larger corporate contribution, for better or for worse)

Also the new federal "Building Canada fund"
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...ys_he_pitched_pm_on_downtown_relief_line.html

My personal view is that a new subway line for the core of Toronto is inevitable.

yes, I feel the fight for the DRL has now reached a point where it is no longer if, but rather when the funding will come through. its become such a major discussion point in the city that whenever the next election comes people will be looking for votes and the DRL is key to that.

yes, I feel the fight for the DRL has now reached a point where it is no longer if, but rather when the funding will come through. its become such a major discussion point in the city that whenever the next election comes people will be looking for votes and the DRL is key to that.

It's looking like the NDP doesnt want any votes :eek:

Funny how the NDP have become the Conservatives. Build without paying for it other than some sort of savings. Right out of the Hudak/Ford playbook.

It's looking like the NDP doesnt want any votes :eek:

I'm actually worried that opposing transit taxes will get them votes. Many people vote for lower taxes no matter what, and many Ontarians can't picture themselves ever using transit. I hope I'm wrong though, hopefully at least the GTA will support transit taxes.

Back