Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

That station is exactly what I mean.

The upgrades can be brought in gradually as funds become available. In the meantime just let the TTC fare also cover the cost of the GO fare within the city of Toronto, Oshawa already does it.

Will the GO trains become busier, damn straight and isn't that the whole point. Yes some will have to stand but standing on a GO train with fewer stations is a hell of a lot better from what is taking place now namely standing on a packed bus on a bumpy road stopping every 2 blocks only to find that the subway you finally get to is already packed and you are standing another half an hour before you finally get off. I 'd rather stand 20 minutes on a comfortable train than an hour on a bus and subway.

The Western portion of the system with new track and stations is already being built and will be up and running in a year and a half, the TSX-UPX Express.

Also these things should be done well before a DRL even starts construction. Isn't it a better idea to have this up and running and then take the data from ridership, point of origin, destination, and transfers to make a well informed decision on the DRL so that they can choose the best route to ensure the best advantage for the money spent?

Won't this completely fck over the GO system during rush hour, when almost every train is either approaching or at capacity?

Oshawa's fare is NOT for the GO train, it is only for the bus route that runs along highway 2.

GO trains also aren't exactly built for standing, you could fit maybe 150 more people on a train, and you are at crush load there with people not being able to get on. most rush hour trips are already standing room only. switch the fares to be even with the TTC and you won't be able to get everyone one with current infrastructure setups. Say what you will, but GO's network isn't built to deal with TTC trips today, it needs heavy infrastructure investment before it can really serve that purpose. Sure do it, congrats you have taken 1/3rd of a subway train off of the TTC network every hour, while seriously comprimising GOs network. It just doesn't work.

why cant we use subways similar to Tokyo... they run at grade on what seems are normal train tracks (electrified). They travel very fast and run every couple minutes.

In the Far East, transit companies own developed properties next to the stations, large housing developments or shopping complexes. Now if the TTC actually owned the Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, Fairview Mall, etc.. If the TTC owned Sherway Gardens, the Bloor-Danforth would have been extended to it long ago.

Here is a photo of the Cummer Station without fare integration.

Here is the photo of what Cummer Station could look like with fare integration.

I do not see what takes so long.

As ssiguy says, frequent, all day electrified service can come later.

Fare integration is a demand-side solution and we have a supply-side problem. As insertnamehere has pointed out, fare integration will only drive up demand on a system that is already at capacity. Fare integration might be a laudable goal, but we can't implement it without beefing up our infrastructure substantially. The other major problem is that all of this extra demand would come about at rush hour, which is when the GO trains already run very large trains on relatively tight schedules.

There's another article in The Star by Cohn about Horwath becoming an all out populist and ditching the NDP's traditional focus on transit. You'd think she's be in favour of increased spending on transit.
So what we're left with is a pro-transit liberal government that very few people trust, an anti-tax NDP that doesn't want the gas tax/other fees raised for transit, and an anti-tax Conservative party that doesn't want the gas tax/other fees raised for transit.

Since when have the NDP and Conservatives shared the same policy views?!

Since when have the NDP and Conservatives shared the same policy views?!

Well, opposition parties usually disagree with the incumbent party.

The NDP also has, what, 6 ridings in the entire GTA? That party's always been a big tent between populist industrial voters and urban voters. It was always weird hearing HoHam trying to reconcile anti-GHG policies with cheaper electricity for industrial users.

This is why I find it funny when some people talk about the DRL opening in 2023 or around there. They talk as if funding is already in place and we are just about to put shovels in the ground.

I'm there! Thinking I will go to the first one..

Me too, I think it's in the same church as the Jarrett Walker talk. Appropriately, you could feel the vibrations of the Bloor subway every few minutes.

Call me optimistic, and I know it's really far away, but maybe, it is possible that this is the start of a process that leads to a new subway opening in 10 years. And we've been talking about a subway under Queen for 100 years :)

This is why I find it funny when some people talk about the DRL opening in 2023 or around there. They talk as if funding is already in place and we are just about to put shovels in the ground.

2023? Are we assuming the Chinese will be doing the project?
Not remotely possible, unless EA is skipped entirely and we start digging today.

Back