Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

^who knows, it all depends on the spring budget at this point. Metrolinx is currently doing an EA for it, so I wonder when info on that will start to surface. From what I understand Metrolinx wants to build the portion south of Bloor first, so Dundas West / Pape or Donlands will be the initial termini. The city may be willing to scrounge for some more federal funding in order to push it further north to Eglinton, but I have a feeling it won't.

Highly speculative, but we have to remember that once we get rid of "Mayor" Ford next year, we will very likely have a mayor who supports additional revenue tools (eg OneCity) to build transit in Toronto. There is a very good chance that this entire project (Dundas West to Eglinton via Downtown) will be built.

I wonder what are the engineering challenges of bringing the subway through Thorncliffe Park. Can the tunnels go under the highrise buildings, or would they have to go around the buildings because of the foundations?

11043423394_0d582a70aa_b.jpg

They can go under foundations, but I think it is highly undesirable due to vibration concerns. Overleigh Blvd. is one option for a route. It's a bit tight, but I was actually thinking of bringing the line from near the bend in Millwood (on the left side), through the baseball diamond, swimming pool, tennis courts, south of the mall (where the station would be) and then out the top centre parking lot. This would be shallow cut-and-cover and then continue elevated towards and over Don Mills to Flemingdon and Gateway Blvd (the next station).

I can think of several ways to build rapid transit.

1. Tunneled with mined (from below) stations - very expensive.
  2. Tunneled with cut-and-cover stations.
  3. Cut-and-cover lines and stations.
  4. Elevated lines and stations.
  5. Segregated ROW (i.e. hydro or rail).
  6. Median ROW

Back when Toronto was a leading jurisdiction in transit and most of the system was built, they used mainly #3 (with a little bit of #2).
Towards the end of the subway expansion era (mid 80's), they used #4 and #5.
In the past 30 year dormant period, we seem to be demanding #2.
Vancouver has built a system that will soon be larger than Toronto's, all within the last 30 years, using mostly #4 and #5 (and some #2 and #3).

So going forward, Toronto is focusing on #2 and #6 - even though #6 brings great animosity from the public and #2 is so expensive that huge budgets are eaten up.

Attachments

• 11043423394_0d582a70aa_b.jpg
    11043423394_0d582a70aa_b.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 536
They can go under foundations, but I think it is highly undesirable due to vibration concerns. Overleigh Blvd. is one option for a route. It's a bit tight, but I was actually thinking of bringing the line from near the bend in Millwood (on the left side), through the baseball diamond, swimming pool, tennis courts, south of the mall (where the station would be) and then out the top centre parking lot. This would be shallow cut-and-cover and then continue elevated towards and over Don Mills to Flemingdon and Gateway Blvd (the next station).

Assuming a Donlands alignment, perhaps this could work. Ideally it would be nice to build a station in the heart of Thorncliffe Park, close to all those high rise buildings, which could generate higher walk-in traffic.

11079921466_7397eed297_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'd put the station on Overlea at Thorncliffe Park Drive (east branch). Basically the centre of the community. Allows for high density redevelopment of the mall and north side of Overlea. And keeps traffic out of the high-rise section south of the mall.

I'd put the station on Overlea at Thorncliffe Park Drive (east branch). Basically the centre of the community. Allows for high density redevelopment of the mall and north side of Overlea. And keeps traffic out of the high-rise section south of the mall.
It would also allow an opportunity to redevelop the old Coca-Cola Canada headquarters as well.

It would also allow an opportunity to redevelop the old Coca-Cola Canada headquarters as well.
Because a 12-minute bus ride with departures every 2 minutes from Pape Station or an 11-minute ride with departures every 3 minutes from Broadview Station isn't good transit?

Assuming a Donlands alignment, perhaps this could work. Ideally it would be nice to build a station in the heart of Thorncliffe Park, close to all those high rise buildings, which could generate higher walk-in traffic.

I like that alignment. It's also shorter than the wide swoop through Thorncliffe Park that a Pape alignment usually shows. Also, building a new bridge from scratch would likely be much less disruptive and probably less expensive than trying to modify the Leaside Bridge to handle subway trains on its lower deck.

Also, if you made the curve coming under Don Mills just a little bit tighter, you could include a station at Gateway, which would allow you to build the Eglinton station box extending northward from Eglinton under Don Mills, instead of southward. You could then include a secondary entrance at the north end of that platform at Wynford.

Currently, the plan to have only one station in that area forces the platform to be built either 50/50 on the north/south side of Eglinton, or shifted even further south to provide access to the Science Centre, etc. But with a station at Gateway, it would allow the Eglinton-Don Mills station box to be shifted much further north.

I like that alignment. It's also shorter than the wide swoop through Thorncliffe Park that a Pape alignment usually shows. Also, building a new bridge from scratch would likely be much less disruptive and probably less expensive than trying to modify the Leaside Bridge to handle subway trains on its lower deck.

Also, if you made the curve coming under Don Mills just a little bit tighter, you could include a station at Gateway, which would allow you to build the Eglinton station box extending northward from Eglinton under Don Mills, instead of southward. You could then include a secondary entrance at the north end of that platform at Wynford.

Currently, the plan to have only one station in that area forces the platform to be built either 50/50 on the north/south side of Eglinton, or shifted even further south to provide access to the Science Centre, etc. But with a station at Gateway, it would allow the Eglinton-Don Mills station box to be shifted much further north.

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned earlier, the Leaside bridge is not strong enough to carry either subway trains or surface LRT, so a new bridge will be required no matter what. I was thinking of adding a station at St. Dennis Drive rather than Gateway. The north end of the platform can be located at St. Dennis (thus serving the science centre) and the south end can extend towards Gateway Blvd.

As for the Eglinton/Don Mills station, it's position will depend on the placement of the Crosstown LRT station. They should be as close together as possible to minimize transfer time, similar to the proposed design at Yonge & Eglinton

11128372363_8b235a3767_b.jpg

Who is running this contest? Doesn't look like anything official.

An initiative of the Chair and Vice-Chair of The City Youth Council of Toronto. Design and Content © 2013, Mihir Garikiparithi and Tom Yun.

Our mission is to increase civic participation amongst young canadians by providing incentives and delivering experiential educational opportunities.

Our Values

Accountable
Committed
Transparent
Imaginative
Optimistic
Nimple
Nimple??

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned earlier, the Leaside bridge is not strong enough to carry either subway trains or surface LRT, so a new bridge will be required no matter what. I was thinking of adding a station at St. Dennis Drive rather than Gateway. The north end of the platform can be located at St. Dennis (thus serving the science centre) and the south end can extend towards Gateway Blvd.

As for the Eglinton/Don Mills station, it's position will depend on the placement of the Crosstown LRT station. They should be as close together as possible to minimize transfer time, similar to the proposed design at Yonge & Eglinton

That would certainly work too. I guess we're on the same wavelength that there's room for 2 stations between Overlea and Eglinton along Don Mills.

And yes, if you have the two platforms at Eglinton & Don Mills forming what would in essence be an inverted T at the intersection. It would make an unfortunate loading situation like Bloor-Yonge (with the Bloor line platform being at the far end of the Yonge line platform), but shifting the station box further south eliminates the possibility of a convenient 2nd entrance/exit at Wynford, which I think would be very well used.

I wonder, if the north exit is used as the bus drop-off location for the Don Mills buses, if that would help balance out the platform load as well.

Back