Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Shame that the station at Sheppard is called Don Mills rather than Fairview or something; as it would be a more fitting name for the Lawrence/Don Mills station. Perhaps they can call a future Line 3 station as "Don Mills Centre".
omfg, when will ML ever rethink their sloppy naming convention (have they already picked the name Don Mills for a future line 3 interchange with line 4?)?? On line 3, Queen, Pape, and Don Mills are all vague & ambiguous names (you might as well have BOTH Bloor/Yonge and Sheppard/Yonge simply called Yonge) and need to be renamed (Queen/Yonge, Pape/Danforth, Don Mills / Sheppard). Sheppard West isn't ideal either for a future line 4 extension. It'll take a while for people to get used to the renaming of those stations? No worries, I'm sure it took a while to get used to Sheppard being renamed Sheppard/Yonge too.

Last edited:
Pape is going to lose one of its few, functional retail blocks.

ontarioline-017.jpg

But the McDonalds across the street gets away unscathed.

ontarioline-018.jpg

Inside some windows.

ontarioline-019.jpg

ontarioline-020.jpg

ontarioline-021.jpg

Another view of the Sammon Ave. site.

ontarioline-022.jpg

omfg, when will ML ever rethink their sloppy naming convention (have they already picked the name Don Mills for a future line 3 interchange with line 4?)?? On line 3, Queen, Pape, and Don Mills are all vague & ambiguous names
I see no problem calling Bloor-Yonge simply Bloor (other than the more recent existence of GO Bloor) and Sheppard-Yonge as simply Sheppard. I don't think that confuses people

Nor would Pape - or the best example coming up - Eglinton (other than the existence of the later named GO Eglinton).

no no hes got a point,
1726237439703.png

But yes the OL will have wifi, as to what degree it will be available in the tunnels vs just in stations remains to be seen. Or whether there will be cell service in the 40m deep tunnels either

• Systems: design, build, operate and maintain all track, communications (e.g. network, Wi-Fi, CCTV, passenger information) and train control systems for the Ontario Line

I see no problem calling Bloor-Yonge simply Bloor (other than the more recent existence of GO Bloor) and Sheppard-Yonge as simply Sheppard. I don't think that confuses people

Nor would Pape - or the best example coming up - Eglinton (other than the existence of the later named GO Eglinton).
I don't think it confuses people familiar with the system because we already know where those stations are. I don't think it's as intuitive for tourists or newcomers to know that Eglinton Station on the Eglinton Line is at Yonge St, and as you mentioned, is also not the same thing as Eglinton GO Station. Our naming scheme is a mess. It's a mess that works for most of us, but it doesn't change that it's a mess.

I don't think it confuses people familiar with the system because we already know where those stations are. I don't think it's as intuitive for tourists or newcomers to know that Eglinton Station on the Eglinton Line is at Yonge St, and as you mentioned, is also not the same thing as Eglinton GO Station. Our naming scheme is a mess. It's a mess that works for most of us, but it doesn't change that it's a mess.
I've never once come across anyone in the system confused about Eglinton and Eglinton West right now - even though both are on Line 1.

I admit though I heard a foreign couple on the Dundas streetcar, trying to figure out what Dundas and Dundas West were.

Still, there's real issues. Have people been confused by having both an Eglinton and Eglinton (TTC and GO) that are no where near each other? And now Metrolinx are about to open a Mount Pleasant on Eglinton while there's already a Mount Pleasant station on the Kitchener GO line.

Now, I think most can figure out those by context. But here's the one that worries me. East Harbour and West Harbour on the Lakeshore lines. When you are at Union then, you are going to see trains on one platform showing the train is to West Harbour. But on the very next track (same platform) it could say the next stop is East Harbour! Given the East Harbour name has been created with (as far as I know) no history behind it, years later ... this one baffles me.

Reactions: PL1
I wonder how they’re planning to get over the CP Rail tracks north of Science Centre for a northern extension. Overpass?
Given the steepness of the incline to the top of the hill past the tracks, and down again to Lawrence, I predict any extension to go under, not over. My kid goes to Don Mills Middle School so while I am not conversant with any geological, hydrological or utility impediment to a tunnel which might result in an elevated run, the short but notable hill between the CPR and the Donway speaks for itself.

I've never once come across anyone in the system confused about Eglinton and Eglinton West right now - even though both are on Line 1.
That's not comparable, and the naming scheme of "[Street name]" and "[Street name] West" for the Yonge and Spadina sides respectively makes perfect sense, the same way that Yonge North, Bathurst North, Victoria Park North, etc make sense for line 4's counterparts of the respective line 2 stations (Yonge North was rejected in favor of Sheppard/Yonge, but it would've been a perfectly fine option for line 4's platforms too).

Still, there's real issues. Have people been confused by having both an Eglinton and Eglinton (TTC and GO) that are no where near each other?
I don't like GO's naming scheme any more than OL's (oh wait, they're both by ML, so what else can you expect?), because I think Eglinton GO should've instead been Eglinton East, or McCown or something like that, whereas Kennedy GO is the one that should've been called Eglinton, since the Stoufville line runs along Kennedy rd. right until it reaches Markham, and crosses Eglinton at a right angle, while the Lakeshore east line crosses it at a much shallower angle (though nowhere near parallel). At the very least, Kennedy should be renamed Eglinton/Kennedy when they build fill-in stations and name them Lawrence/Kennedy and Finch/Kennedy

What problem would be solved by calling Kennedy GO Eglinton instead? It is still far away from the original, much more well used, Eglinton station on line 1. Given the ridership levels of the GO station, it is fair to conclude that the subway station called Kennedy is by far the better used part of the station, and it makes sense for that to be the defining characteristic.

Kennedy and Midland are roughly equidistant from the rail corridor, so if anything, to minimize confusion, those infill stations could be called Midland-Lawrence and Midland-Finch.

Back