Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Here's a question I've had for ages: What happens to the lumber & I-beam shoring? Does it just stay there rotting/rusting and eventually polluting the surroundings?

Not sure how rotting wood pollutes the environment. Trees rot naturally when they fall.

Interesting. I guess you have to hope that one doesn't break or become plugged up because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they're laid down before the pour.

They will likely put some extras in as this is considerably more cost effective than installing surface mounted after the pour. Being in slab also allows them to run from A to B as the crow flies. No need to follow building lines, which is typical for surface mounted installs. Also affords protection of the conductors as they are embedded in concrete.

I have to say, I'm so curious what these buildings will look like 150 years from now. Are they disposable or will they last with proper upkeep. And if disposable how in the world would you tear down 75 stories of concrete and rebar?!

I think in 30 to 40 years - not 150 years, owners of condo and office mid-rises and high-rises will be regretting the use of glass cladding when it comes time to replace it in part or in whole. The 40 story Deutsche Bank Building across the street from the WTC site in NYC was demolished floor by floor due to structural damage & contamination when the south tower collapsed onto part of it so it can be done.

I have to say, I'm so curious what these buildings will look like 150 years from now. Are they disposable or will they last with proper upkeep. And if disposable how in the world would you tear down 75 stories of concrete and rebar?!

If anything, the window wall cladding might not last more than 40 years, but that's about it. As long as the concrete is protected properly from water and ice (which it should, with proper cladding), I don't think these buildings will ever be in danger of collapsing or being unsafe structurally for hundreds of years.

The structure yes, the envelope does have a more finite lifetime. That said, replacing it isn't exactly anything groundbreaking.

I would imagine building technology in 50, 100 years time would be ahead by leaps and bounds, using materials and techniques we can only dream of today (e.g. advanced composites, self-cleaning/self-healing materials, real time structural monitoring, etc, etc.)

AoD

Last edited:
1ba9.jpg

Back