Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

Re: One Bedford

"Does the movement to make every part of town equally "lively" and "popular", with a mix of residential, commercial and office, not include the eventual colonization of the suburbs with the same approach?"

I hope so and this certainly appears to be the goal in Mississauga and Markham.

And no, not every area of the city and street has to be as lively as Bloor Street and nobody is arguing that.

Yet earlier you invoked the name of Jane Jacobs in urging those who do not like "lively" to move to the suburbs.

It was in response to an argument against 'liveliness." Why would one argue against having a few great lively streets in the city? And why not do everything possible to keep them lively and popular?

Ontarian1976 - I think that some of the misunderstanding in the discussion so far comes from the fact that most people here (myself included) aren't even getting to the point of disagreeing with your conclusions because we disagree with your starting point. I don't agree that Harbord between Bathurst and Spadina is more interesting than the parallel stretch of Bloor; in fact, I find it much less so. That in mind, all possible diagnoses for the difference, whether they be relative levels of mixed use (of whatever definition) or otherwise are beside the point.

Tomorrow is the presale event....

1 BR 618 SF NORTH FROM $316,900
1 BR + DEN 597 SF EAST FROM $315,900
2 BR 732 SF SOUTH FROM $388,900
2 BR + FAMILY 1,521 SF S/W FROM $896,900

10' Ceiling Heights between floors 24 to 32

The preview is scheduled for Tomorrow

Re: Bloor between Bathurst and Spadina: a lot of it comes down to one's opinion of sushi.

For instance, does an Italian restaurant next to a sushi place count as a variety of uses?

Failing that, how about a sushi place next to a burnt-out sushi place?

Hey THX1038, where did you get those figures from? Their website is still playing that dumb flash intro. I have an appointment this Saturday for the preview, and am anxious to check out the available floorplans.

>>I don't agree that Harbord between Bathurst and Spadina is more interesting than the parallel stretch of Bloor; in fact, I find it much less so.<<

I'm curious as to why you find Bloor more interesting than Harbord for that stretch. I live just a few hundred feet from that stretch of Bloor, and find it incredibly repetitive. Sushi joint, tiny (and one large) used music store, bar, sushi joint, another music store, bar......Maybe it's more interesting to those that don't live there, I don't know.

Harbord has a wider variety of uses at ground-level. There's stores, a couple bars, some restaurants, some small houses, a large school. To me the variety of uses is infinitely more interesting along the sidewalk than nothing but stores and restaurants. If you travel far enough West on College it's the same thing. You can actually find rowhomes along the street itself, and not just the side streets.

Real Estate agents started lining up last night fr this. Thi is the pre-sale, to agents only. If you want you should head down there right now and hook up with one of the agents in line.

The pre sales events give you more bang for your buck with... this is when investors buy.

Thanks for the heads uP... I went by there this afternoon and picked up their catalogue with the floorplans. I will need to mull over them for a few days, before deciding on anything. I noticed they made some minor alterations to the rendering of the building with the addition of glass balconies to all the lower floors in the podium section.

Checked out the sales centre on the weekend. Was quite impressed by the project. I think it will be a fine addition to the city. And sales seem to be going really well. At least 50% if not more of the units were marked sold. Of course there is the 10 day cooling period to factor in.

78% of released suites (200 released out of 264 total) have been sold at nearly $600 per square foot (subject to 10 day rescission period). Most of the units are fairly large in size.

Occupancy is summer 2009.

^ Crazy! So have they set a construction start date? Would they bump it up faced with sales like this?

They wouldnt think about bumping up the construction date until the 10 day recession period passes ... and they have cashed their deposit cheques, for the 15-25%, whatever their terms are :)

Those are some crazy numbers... That said, it's Lanterra and they're going to take their sweet time building this project.

Back