1.8K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
^completely agree. Much better movie-watching experience overall...
I hope cineplex doesn't alter the interior of Y&D too much. I like the lighting and design AMC used. Don't want something dark and dank.

Well, it would be a totally waste to close down Yonge & Dundas cinemas since the theatre is still new. Scotiabank recently have new and expensive seats installed in the IMAX theatre. Both likely to remain open and maybe the Scotiabank Theatre may get V.I.P. auditoriums.

Makes sense - Cineplex operates two multiplexes in downtown Vancouver - a smaller market - its Scotiabank Theatre and the former Cinemark Tinseltown (Cinemark's only Canadian theatre before expansion plans were curtailed). AMC had plans to open in Vancouver but never did.

New competition for Auto Share & Zip.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 2P4

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 12 199625 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 25, 2012

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to permit the operation of a car sharing company (Car 2 Go) to be located on the ground floor as a street related retail and service use.

my experience of amc and cineplex is completely different, the theatres in oakville are really nice compared to the amc here, newer, nicer spaces, plus the scene card brings you more benefits and cineplex offers you more deals to save money, weird how two experiences can be so different.

My closest theatre is AMC Courtney Park. I am not looking forward to it becoming a Cineplex. Prices at AMC were always better than Cineplex when you use your Moviewatcher card.

The main benefit I see in this whole situation is that it's one less card to carry.

I know this involes a mall, but didn't know where else to post this...

http://www.postcity.com/Eat-Shop-Do...en-its-second-TO-location-at-Bayview-Village/

Pink Tartan set to open its second Toronto location at Bayview Village

By Anna Silman

Pink Tartan, the high-end Toronto womenswear line founded by Kimberley Newport-Mimran (wife of Joseph Mimran, the brains behind Club Monaco and Joe Fresh), will soon open a brand new location in the upscale suburban retail oasis of Bayview Village.

The new location will mark the second Pink Tartan store in Hogtown, following the multi-storey Yorkville flagship store, which opened back in 2010. Along with the Toronto locations, Pink Tartan boasts a New York showroom and its collections can be purchased at Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Markus, Holt Renfrew, The Bay and more.

Pink Tartan specializes in understated, intricately-detailed reinventions of modern classics, inspired by Newport-Mimran’s mantra that “simplicity is the secret to elegance." Calling herself a sportswear designer — though we'd hardly call her stuff gym-ready — Newport-Mimran specializes in clothes that can be worn with ease on any occasion.

According to Anna Hui, a Bayview Village marketing assistant, the new store is aiming for a fall opening. While Hui is mum on the precise details, she suggests that those familiar with the Yorkville space can expect to see “a whole new unique kind of look” for the Bayview location.

Looks like Christmas is coming early this year, fashionistas.

Not too thrilled about Cineplex buying AMC. I guess that means no more Moviewatcher rewards program.
I found the service better at AMC theatres. Friendlier staff and cleaner threatres.

One thing to note: Cineplex has not bought the whole chain. Visited the AMC in Whitby last weekend--it's been taken over by Empire Theatres. They haven't changed the outside signage yet, but there are banners inside announcing it. Checking their website, it looks like they have also purchased the AMC in Kanata.

One thing to note: Cineplex has not bought the whole chain. Visited the AMC in Whitby last weekend--it's been taken over by Empire Theatres. They haven't changed the outside signage yet, but there are banners inside announcing it. Checking their website, it looks like they have also purchased the AMC in Kanata.

Yes, this was mentioned above.

Cineplex now lists the theatres on its website. I've heard the takeover happened Friday, and the former AMC theatres that are now Cineplex take Scene cards now.

Cineplex now lists the theatres on its website. I've heard the takeover happened Friday, and the former AMC theatres that are now Cineplex take Scene cards now.

The takeover did happen on Friday. All A.M.C. locations were closed on Thursday due to replacements of signage, ticket machines and cash registers. Plus staff retraining e.g. learning the Scene program.

Last edited:
The takeover did happen on Friday. All A.M.C. locations were closed on Thursday due to replacements of signage, ticket machines and cash registers. Plus staff retraining e.g. learning the Scene program.

Thanks for the info. Have they changed the outdoor signage? And if not when?

No problem. I have not visit there yet but I will be today. This was on the Star last week regarding the theatre shutdown with the exception of the retraining part because I got it from a Scotiabank Theatre staff who was retraining employees there last week and on the reopening day.

Last edited:
Nearly all of the AMC signage was still in place yesterday at the Yonge and Dundas location, inside and out. A few things had been changed, such as the cash registers and reprogrammed electronic signs at each theatre entrance.

Appears that C House Lounge Cafe from Milan is ready to setup shop in Toronto with its first two locations - 70 Yorkville Ave and 315 Queen St W. C House operates very exciting spaces and I welcome their coming to Toronto. Check out the renders:

http://www.facebook.com/chouseToronto#!/chouseToronto/photos

Back