229     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 760     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 815     2 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
The old De Boers spot at Yonge and College looks leased and had some construction going on inside. Not sure who the retailer will be though.

Yep I saw that too.

Looks like a lot of the retail (empty retail) at the bottom of Yonge and Dundas may become a beer store.

Domison furniture at King & Jarvis is closed. Appears to be non-payment of rent (notice is in the door). It was a nice shop, but the stock didn't change often and unless you knew it was there, you mightn't even notice it.

And so it would appear, the World's Biggest Bookstore is coming to an end.....

Of course it was not the biggest by titles collection, nor did it ever feature great ambiance; but I will miss it just the same.

I do much of my reading on-line today, but still enjoy sitting down with a good book and a store like that does allow you to browse so many titles you might not ordinarily encounter......

http://www.yongestreetmedia.com/devnews/worldsbiggestrent0620.aspx

The old De Boers spot at Yonge and College looks leased and had some construction going on inside. Not sure who the retailer will be though.

Does anyone know who's moving in?
Nothing on the City of Toronto building permits web site that may suggest who's working on this space.

This is kind of retail in nature - AMC Theatres is selling its Canadian operations. The parent company in the U.S. was not doing well and was recently sold to a Chinese theatre chain.

Cineplex is the proud new owner of the AMC theatres at Yonge and Dundas, Courteney Park in Mississauga and Winston Churchill in Oakville, as well as the location in the Forum in Montreal.

Empire Theatres is acquiring the AMC theatres in Whitby and Kanata.

This will bring Cineplex back to the Yonge Dundas for the first time in 11 years, I think. I did think it also meant that Cineplex now controlled all multiplexes downtown, but then I realized that there is also the TIFF Lightbox and Rainbow Cinemas Market Square.

Chains divvy up AMC movie theatres in Canada

By ROBERT BOSTELAAR, The Ottawa Citizen June 21, 2012

OTTAWA — Empire Theatres Ltd. and Cineplex Inc. will take over AMC Entertainment movie complexes in Ontario and Quebec as the U.S.-owned chain exits Canada.

Empire is buying AMC’s 24-screen theatres in Kanata and Whitby, Ont., while Cineplex will acquire complexes in Toronto, Oakville, Mississauga and Montreal.

Cineplex said it was paying a nominal sum for the theatres. Empire would not disclose financial details but company vice-president Dean Leland noted that the complexes Empire was acquiring are “very successful operations.”

Empire already owns three other Ottawa theatres and plans to open a complex in the renovated Lansdowne Park in 2012.

This week’s acquisitions brings Empire’s total across Canada to 53 theatres with 438 screens, including seven IMAX auditoriums. The company headquarters are in Stellarton, Nova Scotia.

The company said in a statement that it will upgrade all auditoriums with digital technology and make other improvements.

“Empire Theatres has a proven track record of being a valued employer and contributor in the communities where we operate,” Leland said.

Cineplex is the largest movie exhibitor in Canada with ownership or interests in 134 theatres and 1,445 screens. It also said it will add digital projection systems to its new locations.

Last month, Chinese company Wanda signed a deal in Beijing Monday to buy AMC, the second-largest theatre chain in North America. If approved by U.S. and Chinese regulators, the $2.6-billion U.S. acquisition will create the world’s largest theatre group, the companies said.

AMC said a string of hit movies in recent months had lifted it back into profits this year.

With files from The Canadian Press

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Last edited:
A.M.C.'s Canadian operations in my opinion was doomed from the start when Loews Cineplex and Famous Players were expanding in the late 90's. Galaxy Cinemas was just getting started. Canada has a small population, duopoly between Cineplex and Empire and lack of good space to build theatres made A.M.C. hard to do business here. Cineplex did a good job keeping a near monopoly here by keeping out American cinema chains from coming here.

A.M.C.'s Canadian operations in my opinion was doomed from the start when Loews Cineplex and Famous Players were expanding in the late 90's. Galaxy Cinemas was just getting started. Canada has a small population, duopoly between Cineplex and Empire and lack of good space to build theatres made A.M.C. hard to do business here. Cineplex did a good job keeping a near monopoly here by keeping out American cinema chains from coming here.

What do you think ciniplex will do with both locations downtown, close one of them now ?

A new pub is opening in my Yonge & Davisville neighborhood.

Fionn MacCool's will open at 1867 Yonge (@ Balliol) in a space formerly occupied by a physiotherapy office and many other short term tenants.

The other part of the main floor at 1867 Yonge (an office building) saw the Bank of Nova Scotia move out a few months back and Sotheby's Real Estate move in.

What do you think ciniplex will do with both locations downtown, close one of them now ?

Well, it would be a totally waste to close down Yonge & Dundas cinemas since the theatre is still new. Scotiabank recently have new and expensive seats installed in the IMAX theatre. Both likely to remain open and maybe the Scotiabank Theatre may get V.I.P. auditoriums.

I've noticed National Bank is making a big move into Downtown Toronto, which is surprising as I recall they pulled out and closed a lot of branches in the 416 just a few years ago.

A new branch is already open at King and Princess, and I've seen coming soon signs at King and York, and York and Bremner. Has anyone seen any other new locations pop up?

Not too thrilled about Cineplex buying AMC. I guess that means no more Moviewatcher rewards program.
I found the service better at AMC theatres. Friendlier staff and cleaner threatres.

Back